“Delicious dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Char is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 127 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Char -a Spacious, Unique Contemporary Bistro in Downtown Boone, serving Modern American Cuisine including Fried Calamari, Crab Bisque, Black & Bleu Salad, Turkey & Brie Sandwich, Fish & Chips, Burgers, Fish Tacos, Shrimp & Grits and Angus Steaks- char grilled to perfection. Covered Deck, 2 Stylish indoor dining areas and a Sleek Modern Bar featuring 5 flat-screen TVs. Nightly entertainment. GLUTEN-FREE & VEGETARIAN Friendly. Upscale Cuisine -Casual Prices. Margarita Mondays: $.35 Wings. $4 Margaritas.Mar'Tini Tuesdays: 1/2 priced selected Martinis & $6 Pizza & a Pint. Wine Down Wednesdays: 1/2 priced selected bottles of wines. Sunday Brunch includes Huevos Rancheros, Crabcake Benedict & more. Come join us at Char for....... Food • Drinks • Music • Art • Fun
Greeneville, Tennessee
“Delicious dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

After looking over restaurants in Boone for our anniversary dinner, I selected Char. The menu was very appealing and the prices were a little higher end but not too high. I had read a couple of reviews that were iffy, but I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I'm glad we did because the food and the service was wonderful. The only disappointment was the calamari we ordered for an appetizer. It was very tender, which was great, but I would have preferred it with a crispy batter. It wasn't crispy at all, but the flavor was good. Have to admit that had me a bit concerned about our entree selections, but when they were brought to our table, all worries were put to rest. I ordered the cedar-plank salmon with fingerling potatoes and wilted chard, and my husband ordered the shrimp and grips. The presentation on both was very eye-appealing, but the proof of the quality was in the taste. Both entrees were cooked to perfection. The salmon had just the right hint of cedar smoke flavoring, and the lump crab meat topping it was wonderful. The fingerling potatoes and chard were superb. My husbands entree was also a beautiful presentation and full of flavor. Our our server was most attentive and very helpful with menu selection. We will gladly dine here again when in Boone.

Visited May 2013

Boone, North Carolina
“Vegan and gluten free menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had not been to Char in some time but was pleased to find out they have a full page vegan and gluten free menu. The chef even spoke to me about some alterations that could be made to some of the gluten free dishes to make them dairy free as well. The vegetable plate was fantastic!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Char B, Owner at Char, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review!! We do try to accommodate our Vegan and Vegetarian brothers and sisters! Please come in again soon.

Colton Lenz
GM
Durham, North Carolina
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I went with my husband for dinner one night when we were visiting Boone. It's a very pretty restaurant in a nice part of town.

It was 7pm on a Friday night and the place was empty (though it did fill up with a few more people around 8) so read into that what you will. Even though we could have had a nice romantic corner, they sat us (a couple) at a table near the door and the bar. I considered asking the hostess to move us but decided I liked being able to watch the people at the bar. Then the rest of the evening, every time the door opened, we got a cold blast of air.

We ordered the crab bisque and plantains for appetizers. The bisque was so salty and gelatinous it was inedible (looked like it had been sitting in the pot too long) and I sent it back. The waitress did bring out a very graceful apology from the kitchen though. The plantains were excellent. We ordered the scallops and shrimp and grits for entrees. The scallops were wonderful and the shrimp and grits were very yummy (though also quite salty). The dessert choices were rather "meh". We both got the flourless chocolate torte. Its hard to ruin chocolate so it was good but boring. My husband got a scoop of cinnamon ice cream with his and thought that really helped lighten it.

The waitstaff were nice and attentive.

It was surprisingly expensive.

Overall, a mix of good and bad. Next time we are in Boone we will probably try something else instead.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boone, North Carolina, United States
“Wish I discovered this restaurant sooner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I just discovered Char recently. I've been there for both lunch and dinner, and I've had excellent food each time. They have the best shrimp and grits in town. In addition, the service is excellent. I highly recommend it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“Great Food...We just love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We just love this place and can't get enough. My girlfriends and I come here often and always have the best food and the most fun. The blues playing in the background keeps the energy high. The Valentine's menu was fantastic, I have found that they often have Prix Fixe menus for special occasions- With unique items from their normal menu. Red curry duck and shrimp and avocado ceviche yum! I hope they keep up the great work!

• Visited February 2013