“mice in the room” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Smoketree Lodge

Smoketree Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boone
Smoketree Lodge
You added Smoketree Lodge to your Saves list
US Highway 105, Boone, NC 28607   |
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Boone
A TripAdvisor Member
“mice in the room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2005

My family and I just stayed at the Smoketree Resort in Banner Elk. First impressions were not great, it looked more like a motel than a resort. On night two my wife saw a mouse. We found the hole in the wall and plugged it with towels ( that does not work by the way!!). I had to drive clear to the other side of Boone to a 24 hour Walgreens as there is no attendant on duty after hours to provide mouse traps. Of course we cought a rather large mouse. I figured that would be the end of the problem....nope. Night two had a mouse run across my wife as she was sleeping. Needless to say she did not sleep that night. We cought it too thanks to the mousetraps but decided to check out early. I will never stay there again and do not reccomend this place to anybody.

• Stayed October 2005

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

We stayed two nights and while it was a good value, under $100, there were some things that made it less than comfortable for summer visits. I think the hotel is more geared for winter. There was no air conditioning in the public areas like the lobby which made it very difficult with the heat to want to sit and spend any time there. Also the pool looked great, but it is enclosed, four flights of stairs down, and there is no air ventilation there causing it to be very hot like a sauna. I could see how perfect it would be in winter, but in the summer even though two sides are enclosed by sliding glass doors the staff informed us they dont open them to let in air because they want to prevent outsiders from using the pool, the only problem with that is it prevented the guests who were searching for a nice cool dip in the pool to escape the summer heat, from using it either. We had a one bedroom, it was very clean and the bedroom was comfortable with what appeared to be new furniture. The small kitchenette was handy even though we didnt use it and the living area with a sleeper sofa was just enough room. The sofa was the only comfortable place to sit. There was no air conditioning in the bedroom but a small wall unit in the living/kitchen area but it never seemed to make it all the way into the bedroom. There was a ceiling fan in the bedroom which helped, but again in the summer with the high heat temps we found it to be less than desirable. If you are traveling with a handicap person or have trouble climbing stairs, the hotel does not have an elevator. We were on the 3rd level and had to try and carry our heavy suitcases up some narrow steep stairs. I dont see how some people would have been able to handle it. They do have rooms on the main level so if you have any physical limitations be sure to request a room on that level. For a short stay it was okay, close to Boone, but not in the main section of Boone and a short drive from Banner Elk. I would not return to this hotel, but in the winter maybe it would fit the needs of its guests a little better.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2004

We have stayed here many times during the last several years during both summer and winter. It is always clean, friendly, and peaceful. We love to come as a family to the lobby area to play games or just to lounge around. The pool and hot tub area are always well maintained and warm. I would highly reccommend this place for value and comfort.

East Coast, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2004

I have stayed her several days each summer. Nice heated pool. Very friendly staff. All rooms have kitchenettes, some even have full sized fridges. Close to Banner Elk, Valle Crucis for skiing in winter. Highly recommended. Always under $90 per night, even cheaper off season.

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!