“Best hotel stay!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolivia
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Best hotel stay!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The staff here is very friendly, going above and beyond to accommodate.
It's very clean, the food is great! When the washing machine was having repairs done, they did my laundry for me, happily.
Ask for Tara, and say hello when you visit!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Williamsburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel along with fifteen other golfing buddies for a three day golfing weekend at CAROLINA NATIONAL GOLF CLUB in BOLIVIA, NC.

Upon arrival, we were greeted and checked in by TARA. TARA was exceptional and efficient and as we learned later on, she is also the GM of the hotel. During the weekend, we experienced phenomenal customer service from all levels of staff. This included hand written notes from each of the various housekeeping staff, wishing good rounds of golf or an "awesome" day. It was a nice touch.

The hotel is very new and very clean/modern as a result. It's location is convenient to both SOUTHPORT and the golf club that we play annually CAROLINA NATIONAL, located south of SOUTHPORT in BOLIVIA. Restaurants and stores are a short drive away.

The only weakness that we experienced was an inability to get a wake-up call due to either front desk operator error or a glitch in the phone system at the hotel. We awoke on time for our tee time, but this could have been a disaster.

The included breakfast was a nice mix of cereals/fruits and yogurts, along with different egg/sausage/ham foods and a variety of bagels/muffins, etc. Cookies and coffee were available most of the day.

Staff highlights were TARA, along with a delightful desk clerk named CINDY who was very attentive to the needs of our group. GREAT STAY, GREAT FACILITY, I would go back again without hesitation and recommend it hightly

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Southport, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had a wonderful stay at the Holiday Inn Express with my family. We celebrated our daugthers 9th birthday there and she and her friends had a blast! Staff was awesome! Tara was overly accomadating with our requests for extra towels, the use of the conference room for my daughters birthday and just anything we needed! Was greeted with a smile and when we checked out, nothing but smiles! Breakfast was great! Room was Roomy and clean! Will definitly recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in the Southport Oak Island Area! Awesome hotel!!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I see all of these reviews touting the great service and I have to wonder of I stayed at a different Holiday Inn Express.

My mom treated mine and my sister's family to a trip to Southport and since it was relatively last minute we needed a hotel as opposed to a beach house. This HIE is brand new and located in a good spot, between downtown Southport and the public access beach areas. It is also not far from a handful of grocery stores, drug stores, and restaurants which is nice because although they have a "sundry" store it was useless and barely had anything other than some frozen dinners and soda. There is also an indoor pool but more on that later.

The facility itself is very nice for a chain hotel. The lobby was large and bright as was the breakfast buffet area. There is only one elevator for the whole building so there is some waiting for that. Everything is new and clean and decently appointed.

The rooms we had were a great set-up. The entry way was a seating area with a pull out love seat, large flat screen TV, coffee table, and end table. That led into the kitchenette and bathroom area. The bathroom was on the small side but the tub was a huge jetted tub which the kids loved. The water pressure was lousy but they didn't care. Each suite also had a bedroom (with a door) with a king sized bed, large dresser, lounge chair, desk, and a flat screen TV. The beds were OUTSTANDING. I am a terrible sleeper and I'm horribly picky about mattresses and pillows but this mattress and the down pillows were top 5 most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. The bedroom was also very quiet. You could easily sleep a family of 4 or 5 and still feel like you had space in these rooms.

And that is the end of everything good I have to report.

I mentioned a kitchenette and it does exist and has a microwave, sink, mini fridge, and coffee pot. Bring your own plates, glasses, silverware, and napkins because even though there is a kitchen there is absolutely not a single thing in it. We ordered pizza without realizing there were no plates or napkins and that was a real treat with a bunch of kids. You also can't plug in the coffee pot for some reason which is a real shame because the coffee at the buffet is literally the worst coffee I have ever had and we camp. I'm talking hot water with a touch of brown.

The staff alternated between seeming miserably beat down, openly rude, and bizarrely inappropriate. We chose this hotel because there was an indoor pool knowing that it would likely be on the cold side for the beach. Well, the pool was closed the entire time we were there. When we asked why we were told there had been a large party and they had been unable to get the pool back online. For 3 days. That's not really a thing with a pool the size of a large bathtub. Every day we watched them turn families away from the pool. Every time we asked the manager about the pool she told us to go to the beach. Every single time. She seemed to almost take glee in telling us that it was closed but that it was a beautiful day to go to the beach. We did end up taking 4 very cold kids to the beach every day but again, we chose this place because of the convenience and fun of an indoor pool. My mom is 65 and wanted to sit at the pool with her grandchildren.

The manager also spent a lot of time telling us how hard her previous few days had been for this reason and that and as an excuse for everything we asked for. I'm not an uncaring person but I do not think it is appropriate for someone in the hospitality industry to unburden themselves about the rigors of their job to customers. Call me crazy.

The woman manning the breakfast station was literally one of the crankiest hotel workers I have ever encountered. She rushed us out to the degree that she bussed food we were still eating. The maids couldn't turn our room because they had "88 discharges to turn over." Again, I don't think excuses are a thing in hospitality but then again, no one seemed to have hospitality training.

So, if you are looking for a nice sized room with a great bed stay here but don't expect professional service. Or sundries. Or coffee. Or to swim. Or use plates...

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Tara B, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear CarolinaMidwife,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the high score you have given to our hotel's rooms and the location of the hotel. On the other hand, we apologize that the level of customer service that our team provided fell short of your expectations.

We appreciate you taking the time to write the review for our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Southport. As many of our online surveys indicate we normally succeed in providing excellent customer service to our guests. Our facility was built with our guests comfort in mind and we strive for every guest of our hotel to leave satisfied and happy with their stay.
We appreciate all the feedback from your comment and have made it our top priority to ensure that another guest does not encounter similar issues. We have shared your comment with our entire team and we are correcting the issues immediately. Thank you for sharing your experience and we promise we are addressing all this issues from the pool not being accessible, the need of having plates and silverware in the suites with kitchens and the team’s customer service level.
Your suggestions for the need of in room supplies have been quickly corrected; the pool maintenance schedule has been revamped to handle larger groups to ensure the pool is always operable. We have addressed all the issues you encountered with the staff and have re-established a code of conduct with the entire team from Breakfast hostess, housekeeping and front desk department and the General Manager.
Our goal is for every guest to leave our hotel and have a memorable and enjoyable experience. Thanks again for your input; we will continue to use this for training and other improvements of our hotel.
Kristy Johnson
Regional Manager
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My mom treated my sister and our three kids to a mini vaca in South port for 3 nights. We chose this hotel specifically for its indoor pool.
I'll break this review into pros and cons.
Let's start with the cons:
☆upon arival we were informed the pool was closed. We were given a long story about how they had a big birthday party in there and we were promised the pool would open the next day. It was then suggested we go to the beach. It was 70 degrees-not get in the ocean weather in NC. Also anyone with kids knows a trip to the beach is quite different than a trip tp the pool. The next day the pool maintenence man allowed us to swim for 2 hours then closed the pool for the remainder of our stay. We asked several times a day if it would open we received different answers from everyone, never got a single apology, and were told with strange glee to just head to the beach.
☆The rooms are suites but they are appointed with nothing. They have kitchenettes but not a single item you might need:no plates, napkins, dish towel, etc. There were coffee pots but oddly all of the outlets were full of some kind of glue.
☆The staff was either inappropriately chipper while delivering bad news or rude and so unhappy they couldn't hide it. The woman who ran the breakfast seemed angry and began doing her sidework while people were still eating. She cleared my sister's dishes even though my sister said "no thank you" and she wanted us to leave so badly she swept under our table while we sat.
The manager seemed like a teenager playing a game of hotel. Every single complaint was meant with the a story about how hard her job is. Eventually my mom told her we didn't want to hear any more excuses.
☆They had a bakery case that remained empty and full of crumbs the entire visit. The sundries store was so poorly stocked I'm not sure why they even bothered.

Now the pros: This hotel is new and very clean and modern. The rooms were big and clean.
☆The beds are amazing. One of the comfiest I've slept in.
☆The bathrooms are as nice as a fancy hotel with rain showers and jetted tubs.
☆The free breakfast wasn't great but it offered tons of variety and lots of choices.

Overall this was a fine stay and had the pool been open I would have given it a good review.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Emily M,

We are very sorry that we did not provide the best service levels while you and your sister were at our hotel. Our team prides itself on the positive reviews from our guests. We also take the reviews that list issues very serious and we utilize them to ensure similar issues do not happen again. Your review has been shared with the entire team and all issues have been addressed and are currently being resolved.
We are pleased that you did enjoy the comfortable beds and the jetted tubs and rain shower. Our hotel was built with the comfort of the guest in mind.
We have since ensured that our housekeeping team stock the suites with paper towels, plates and silverware.
We sincerely hope that if you are visiting the area again you will consider coming back to stay with us. Again I apologize for us not providing you and your family a experience that you loved.
Sincerely
Kristy Johnson
Regional Manager
HUNTERSVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This property has only been open for a short time, but they have the right team in place! Tara is amazing and everyone under her leadership is friendly and professional. They have great rooms, a wonderful indoor pool and fitness center and the best breakfast. Next time you are in the area, I would recommend you give this property a try. We visit the area to see family about every (3) months and this is the only place we will stay!

Room Tip: Get the King beds, they are extremely comfortable!