“My kids still talk about it...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 13 Attractions in Blowing Rock
Type: Educational Sites, Mysterious Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Mystifying visitors to the High Country since 1948 Mystery Hill features a fascinating collection of hands on activities related to Optical Illusions, Natural Phenomena, and Puzzles. See your friends grow and shrink before your eyes on the Mystery Platform, experience the "gravitational" pull of The Mystery House, Lose your shadow on the Shadow Wall, learn to fly on the Flying Mirror, stand inside a giant soap bubble at Bubblerama. Tickets also include free admission to the Native American Artifacts Museum and The Appalachian Heritage Museum housed in the 1903 home of the founder of Appalachian State University. Open 7 days a week year round, rain or shine. Four miles from Blowing Rock on Hwy 321.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Nevada
10 attraction reviews
“My kids still talk about it...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I can't believe all the low reviews for this place! Yes, I agree it's more for kids than adults. Yes, I agree the maintenance isn't the best. However, my kids LOVED it! This is classic Americana--the kind of thing many of us grew up doing, and the kind of "corny" thing our kids will remember fondly when they grow up.

It's a great place to take kids--makes them think a little bit! Our oldest son was 12 when we took him. He's a science nut, and he had a great time trying to figure out how that tilt room works. Forget all these bad reviews unless you're an adult whose forgotten the fun of being a kid!

georgia
10 attraction reviews
“Please don't do it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

We've been twice to Mystery Hill. Cannot believe I got rooked into going the second time. Please save your money and go do something else like walk around Bass Lake, go to Boone Bowl, or the movies. The "anti-gravity" room is interesting to the children, I'll admit. But the rest of this place is just a run-down hodgepodge of low budget science experiments with a gift shop at the end. They advertise so much that you would think it would really be a fascinating attraction..........but it's not, believe me.

Monroe, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“OK for kids, but adults should pass on this "attraction"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

My husband and I went on our honeymoon in Blowing Rock. While there, we wanted to check out the local attractions. I had remembered Mystery Hill when I was little and thought it would be fun to go back. I was disappointed as what was once a fond childhood memory became yet another reason why my husband shouldn't trust my judgement on things from my past. The place hasn't changed in 20 years...literally. As for the "museum" next door, not worth the extra cost unless you are extremely interested in seeing hudreds of arrowhead displays.

Texas
5 attraction reviews
“OK for kids, but that's about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I'm not sure if I would label this a 'tourist trap', but it comes close. That said, the kids were entertained to no end, so that made it worth the money.

Southeastern
“OK but save your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

The mystery hill part of the attraction was neat. It would have been better to have experienced it, with some physics displays showing how it "works." Something educational for the kids.

Ditto the history museum next door. Potential, but I left feeling let down.

It was grossly overpriced and not at all worth it. This was the 2nd time in 20 years I've been.