“Horrible Food and Service” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Columbia, SC
“Horrible Food and Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

We went to this restaurant within a few day after Thanksgiving of '07.

The food was horrible. Quality was very low and taste was just awful.

Service was very poor as well. Dishes kept coming out of the kitchen at different times. We waited a very long time for our meal.

When the waitress brought the check she had added in a gratuity for herself for our party of 5.

I will never go back. It's one of the worst and most disappointing restaurant experiences that I have ever had.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Favorite Restaurant in Blowing Rock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

I went to the Speckled Trout on 10-24-08 with my family for nice dinner out. As I walked in I felt very welcomed by the quaint and friendly atmosphere, all the staff were very attentive and helpful. We even met the chef and owner after we requested to compliment his crab cakes and Ahi tuna. My family enjoyed the experience immensely! My recommendations would be the trout, whether stuffed or the regular fresh rainbow trout, it is amazingly cooked and very satisfying (luckily my whole family always shares their portions so I got to try many things on the menu that night). I loved the small town family owned feeling and I can say without a doubt that we will be coming back to visit our new favorite restaurant in Blowing Rock as soon as we can.

Charlotte, NC
“Worst service and food I have ever had!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

Had a chance to take my family to the Speckled Trout Cafe on 10-18-2008. BIG MISTAKE!!!! It was two hours of poor service and over cooked horrible tasting food. Drinks were never refilled and it took over 50 mintues for our meal to arrive. The kids burgers were charred black and the fried shrimp and oysters were cold and mainly just breading covering the seafood. On several occasions I had to get another waiter to even take care of needs. I finally asked to see the manager, but told that they wasn't one working tonight. I asked to see the owner, but was told that they were having some family problems and they were going through some tough times. Sorry to hear that...but at $86...not my problem. You are servicing the public, if you can't do that for what you are charging for this nasty food...then shut your doors...I was so glad to get back in my car and finally leave this place. Please don't waste your hard earned money on this place.

NC
“Most Horrible Food We Ever Had!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

We went to the Speckled Trout in May for our son's graduation from App. State. It also happened to be Mother's Day. The food was horrible. The week prior, I had called our hotel we stayed at to ask them about another restaurant that we were planning on going to, and the woman who answered the phone told me that the food at that restaurant was not good. She highly recommended the Speckled Trout. I think her relative must own it. That is the only explanation that I can come up with for someone recommended that place to anyone. The portions were very small, thank God, because the food was disgusting. There were 13 in our party and just about everyone hated the food. Two people who had the shrimp and grits said that was good. They only got three to four shrimp with the shrimp and grits, and they were small shrimp. I didn't eat hardly any of my food. I had the broiled seafood platter which consisted of four shrimp, some nasty rubbery stuff that was supposed to be crab meat, three small under cooked scallops and a couple of burnt boiled red potatoes. The reason I got so many shrimp, four small, is because I asked for extra shrimp in place of the oysters. I also had the cucumber and tomato salad. It was so nasty. How can you mess up cucumbers and tomatoes? You don't even have to do anything to them but put a little salt, pepper and maybe vinegar and sugar or some Italian dressing on them. My daughter got the bacon wrapped scallops. The bacon nor the scallops were cooked all the way. She didn't even eat them. My mom and husband had the fried seafood platter. They said it was OK but they only received three shrimp and three scallops and a few three oysters. They were small pieces also. My sisters hated there food and didn't eat it. My brother in-law hated his food also. My son's girlfriend hated her food. Her parents were there and said she usually never complains about food but she complained about that food for days. She sat there picking at the so called crab meat with her fork trying to figure out what it was. It was the worst meal I have ever had in my entire life. Needless to say, they ruined our celebration. I paid over $250 for that nasty mess. I told the waiter at least three times that the food was nasty. He acted like he didn't even hear me. Then he had the nerve to ask my daughter why she didn't eat her bacon wrapped scallops. She told him that they were not cooked. I told him again that all the food was nasty. Who can't get red potatoes right? All you have to do is boil them and put a little seasoning on them. I called the restaurant a few days after I returned home. I spoke to the manager. I asked him if he had worked the night we were there. He told me that he was the owner as well and that he was indeed there that night and had cooked the food. I told him all about the horrible meal in a very nice way. He was very defensive at first but I explained to him that I wasn't trying to get my money back, I just wanted him to know for future reference. He tried to explain the small portions were due to the low prices of his food. He said that if you went to a restaurant in that area you would pay $30 for the seafood platter for which we paid $17.99. I told him that I would have been willing to pay the $30 for a bigger portion if the food was good. Most of that food was not edible. As for the under cooked scallops, he said that he doesn't like to cook them until they are rubbery. I told him that I grew up around the water and have been eating good seafood all my life. I told him that was not the way scallops are supposed to be cooked. I told him that we couldn't figure out what that stuff was that was supposed to be crab meat. He told me that it wasn't the crab meat that he usually uses. He said he guessed he would have to rethink things. The bad thing about it is that I made reservations in advance and told them about the occasion. It was horrible. The manager asked me why didn't I say anything about the food when I was there. I told him that I told the waiter about four times. He said that he saw the food coming back to the kitchen uneaten but the waiter didn't say anything to him about it. Was is the purpose of having a restaurant if the food is not good. It is useless to anyone if your restaurant has bad food. I would never ever go there again, never, not even if they gave me free food. It isn't worth it.

NC
“The BEST Crabcakes around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

I have eaten at the Speckled Trout Cafe on several occasions and normally order my favorite dinner entree, the blackened filet mignon. I am not a big seafood eater, but my friend convinced me to order the crabcake appetizer along with my filet. Wow! It tasted wonderful and now I have a new favorite food. Since enjoying the Speckled Trout Cafe's crabcakes, I have tried crabcake dishes from other restaurants and unfortunately I've been very disappointed. I guess I'll be making more frequent trips to Blowing Rock from now on. The fresh herb bread is always delicious too.