“Neat Historical Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Green Park Inn

You added The Green Park Inn to your Saves list
The Green Park Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9239 Valley Boulevard, (Rte. 321), Blowing Rock, NC 28605   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Roanoke, Virginia
“Neat Historical Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I loved our two night stay at this hotel. I think management has done a great job of preserving the hotel's charm and history! It is also in a great location--right across from the Blowing Rock landmark and close to the charming town of Blowing Rock. Overall, we had a good experience at this hotel, definitely worth staying here at least once to get the Green Park historical experience.

I was reading a review that stated that this hotel was outdated, still used keys, etc. and after reading the manager's comment to that review, I accidentally pressed that the Manager's review was inappropriate!! Sorry! I actually agree with the manager, so please excuse my accidental click on that link!!! I couldn't find a way to undo the inappropriate report :-/

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for giving us a try! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Don't worry about accidentally reporting the response. We all make mistakes! I'm glad you agreed with us about our keys. We are proud that we still have actual keys for our rooms instead of the more common cards to be swiped. We'd be happy to have you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was lucky to be at a great friends wedding over the weekend at this beautiful place ! the owner was very helpful, the staff was great the rooms were clean. overall a fantastic place either for events or a quiet weekend as it is close to the town, and also to the famous spots. full of love , a perfect place

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing! It's always such a pleasure to have a wedding group at the hotel to celebrate their happy occasion. Our owners are great, and always enjoy getting the know the guests. I'm glad you had a chance to meet them! We'd love to have you next time you are in town.
Wilson, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What a great place! I just spent 2 nights there and I am so glad it has reopened. I grew up staying here during many trips to Blowing Rock. In fact I had my 16th birthday here. And quite a place was! It has always had such character, such history. Now that it has reopened and been refurbished, life is coming back into this great hotel. Yes, the floors creak and the elevator is old. It was built in the late 1800's. But that is part of what makes it so charming. Brie, at the front desk, was delightful. She always welcomed us with a smile and was eager to help with reservations and activities. It is an updated old hotel.....with the character and charm of a grand old hotel, but with free wifi, a large flat screen TV, a Keurig coffee maker and coffee in the room, hairdryer, very clean, the best food and service you could ask for. We had everything we needed, the room was cleaned in a timely fashion, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. You will have lots of options for great food in Blowing Rock, but do not miss the Chestnut Grill at the hotel. The food is EXCELLENT! Would I recommend this hotel to others? It depends. If you are looking for a Marriott experience, go to the Marriott. If you appreciate character, charm, history, cleanliness, and great food and service......yes....you will love the Green Park Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review! We are happy you came back to stay with us and experience what the new owners have brought to this historic property, including the more modern flat screen TVs, complimentary WiFi, and Keurig coffee makers in each room. Thank you for praising our staff, restaurant and service. It is our pleasure to keep you comfortable, and make sure you have everything you need while you are here. We'd love to have you back on your next trip to Blowing Rock!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for Parents Weekend for App State, and when we showed up, we were greeted by the App State flag when we turned into the hotel! Nice touch. We’ve lived in Charlotte for 20 years and have been driving by the Inn on the way to Blowing Rock since the kids were babies. Now we’re coming because they going to App. We noticed when it closed in the mid 2000’s (sad for a cool old place), and noticed when it re-opened again a couple of years ago. We never stayed but were always curious.

Where to start? How about this: All the reviews here, good and bad, have truth to them and it depends on your expectations as to how you’d rate your stay. The good: We appreciate that someone took a chance on the place before it got torn down. It has huge potential. You can tell the new owners have put a lot of work into it and it is evident that they continue to do so. The water was hot instantly. The bed was very comfortable. The furniture was new. The staff was friendly. Even the guy mowing the lawn waved to us. No, the bartender wasn’t surly like another reviewer commented. She was friendly, leaned in, and told us stories about the hotel. Very cool.

All of that said, what’s the true test of customer experience? It is whether you would recommend a product or service to others. When asked by friends whether they should stay there, both my wife and I said “Not really”. Why? Missed details. For example, we bought one of the most expensive rooms in the hotel. When we got there, there were no towels in the room. We called, they brought some right away with a smile on their face. When we got into bed, we discovered a pillow shortage – not a big deal but a roll your eyes moment after discovering no towels. Flipped open the laptop, and it turns out the room is too far away from the wifi. At the complimentary buffet breakfast the next morning, we arrived 45 minutes before it closed, but got the last two plates at the buffet. The people who arrived after us and sat next to us used their bread plates to get their food, but they had to wait for the eggs as there were none left. Meanwhile, “Touch me in the Morning” from 1973 was playing. To each his own on music, but that’s something my mother might listen to if she’s hoping to clear the area. OK, maybe that piece of feedback was a bit subjective, but the point is, no-one seemed to be in charge of the experience.

We then went hiking all day with our son, and returned to the hotel at 5:30, planning for a quick nap followed by a shower then out to dinner. When we got to our room, it hadn’t been cleaned. We went down for a nap, only to hear a rap on the door from housecleaning, ready to make up our room. Instead of a nap, we went downstairs to the room across from the bar, where we could get wifi and wait out the late cleaning. For breakfast again, we vowed to get there even earlier on Sunday, to be sure there were plates and eggs for us. There were three employees standing near the buffet when we got there, but there was only one plate again. They all walked away, and no, they didn’t bring back plates. We watched the next three couples used bread plates or bowls for their breakfast.

They mean well and they’re trying hard and are doing it with a smile, but they’re having trouble executing on the details. If you understand this and accept it for what it is – a restoration project – you’re experience would be fine. Would I go back there? Yes. To see if they’ve ironed out some of the kinks. It has so much potential, and is a really cool old place. But would I recommend it to others? Not easily.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GPIOwners, General Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy to have guests acknowledge the hard work that has gone into restoring the hotel. Our Ownership have undertaken a lot of work that guests will never see, including repairs and upgrades to the plumbing, electrical and heating systems. Thank you for commending the staff on being friendly and helpful. As for your towels, we are truly sorry about the oversight. During my entire employment here at the hotel, that is the first time that I have heard of there being no towels in a guest room upon their arrival, and I appreciate you pointing out that we were prompt in bringing some to you. All of our king beds have 6 pillows, 3 without shams, and 3 with shams. Perhaps you thought that the pillows with shams were purely decorative, however they are also totally functional by removing the shams. Had you mentioned to us that you would have preferred additional pillows then we would have been more than happy to have brought these to you. We apologize that your freshen was not completed in a timely manner. Unfortunately, we had a housekeeper who was not able to work that day due to a circumstance that required an emergency room visit, and were short staffed on that day. We do appreciate your patience and your willingness to point out the good along with bad, and a staff member calling out is not an excuse for a delayed service.

As far as details are concerned we absolutely agree that these are important. Yet, we consider these details to also include Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, Keurig coffee makers, the plush robes in each closet, the nightly turn down service, and the legendary Charlie Ellis who plays elegant piano in our lobby each Friday and Saturday evening to be very important details which you did not mention.

Finally, regarding breakfast, we were very upset to hear about your breakfast experience, and we agree that running out of plates is totally unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have addressed that matter with the morning restaurant staff, and manager. Since your own children now attend App State, then you are no doubt aware that the ASU student population are an inordinately large proportion of the job candidate pool in this area, particularly in the restaurant field. We are very proud of our support of these students, and of the fact that we employ a number of students in our restaurant as well as in other positions throughout the house. However, as you might expect, youth does not always translate into a certain drive, or focus required in any business. In point of fact, the breakfast manager is an ASU senior who has worked in our restaurant throughout his years at ASU, and he was recently promoted to position of breakfast manager specifically to ensure oversight. Alas, our efforts at mentoring obviously fell short on that morning, and this situation has been addressed with this manager.

We do hope that you will stay with us again, and forgive us the oversights during your last stay. While we do feel that we pay a great deal of attention to the details, we will continue to strive for 110% in regard to our guests’ experience and we are sorry that we fell short during your recent stay.
Saint Augustine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We spent several days at this quaint old hotel. It had been restored and reopened in 2011. The public areas are nicely done but the rooms were shabby. The furnishings were spartan. They were not finished off well. It looked like they just trough paint on old walls. They used very poor quality blankets. Their is a lot of noise and dust from the road construction. This construction can cause a lot of traffic congestion. Over three days we had to ask them to please make up our room. We would come back at 3:30 to 4 o'clock and the room was not made up. They could not blame being busy as they maybe had 20% occupancy. The food was the best thing they have, it was excellent. If we were to go back I would rather stay in downtown Blowing Rock.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from road construction as possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing us. We appreciate your compliments to our public areas and the quality of your meal at our restaurant. We are sorry that the room furnishings were not to your liking. All of our furniture is newly purchased and we are proud to say is American. We chose room furnishing in the Traditional style in keeping with the historical nature of our 122 year old hotel. Our blankets are from the same hotel line as are used in a very high end hotel chain who’s name we may not mention here. Apparently you may also not have noticed the additional down comforters located in the guest room closet.

As far as the freshen for your room, we apologize if your room was not freshened early enough for you. Every hotel is different, and we typically freshen rooms in the afternoons, unless otherwise requested. We will, however, be taking your comments into consideration moving forward. It is also worth noting that when guests have pets, as you did, we have to take special consideration with freshens. If the housekeeper is unsure of whether the pet is in the room or not, it is our general policy for them not to enter the room, for their own safety and for the safety of the pets until we can be sure that the owner is present. You did call us and request to have your room freshened while you were outside with your pet, and we promptly serviced your room at that time.

I must admit that I am somewhat surprised that you gave such a low rating for service, as you stopped by the front desk daily to chat for more than several minutes, and seemed to be quite happy with everything. We helped you to make dinner reservations, brought you hot water for your tea each afternoon, and the General Manager even allowed you to walk your pet in areas that are generally off limits to pet guests, because your pet was excited to explore these areas. We also allowed you to check out a day early, on a sold out weekend, and without penalty despite your being aware of our cancellation policy and also having occupied the room for 4 ½ hours after check-out time. All in all, we genuinely appreciate your feedback, however we do take exception to your comments regarding shabby rooms and poor service.
Randolph, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This historic and beautiful hotel, located at the edge of town, was comfortable enough, and a short car ride to the shopping and dining of Blowing Rock, but suffered from the fact that smoking was allowed on balconies outside of the rooms, hence the title of this review. I was thoroughly enjoying the door being open onto my balcony, with lovely views of the adjacent golf course, when the smell of smoke starting wafting into my space. I quickly realized there were ashtrays on the porches, thereby meaning smoking was indeed allowed. I was disappointed that NC, unlike so many other states I visit, hasn't outlawed smoking in public spaces. Alas, home to R.J. Reynolds, and a major tobacco producing state, I doubt NC will ever disallow smoking.

That stated, the structure has been carefully maintained to retain much of its originality, including the Adirondack style, green-painted rocking chairs on the covered front porch. There are old paintings, photographs, etc. framed throughout the many public hallways. The wood floors all creak as you walk up and down them. The elevator, an obvious retrofit for today's unable to walk up 3 flights of stairs tourists, came to an abrupt, clunky, stop, admonishing its passengers that they should've taken the stairs if they didn't want to be startled that they'd arrived at their destination.

There's a nice restaurant, serving breakfast lunch, and dinner. A tea room for afternoon tea, I presume. A great Baldwin grand piano, which I played for a small gathering of four guests who were sweet enough to stay and say how good I was. A bar. Oops, did I mention bar? Well, the only other negative of the hotel stay was the bar tender, a gruff gal, whose name I shall not ever recall, who'd been there 7 months, complained about how little business there was, not just that night, but for the previous 7 months. I engaged her (briefly) in conversation, as I am wont to do, and told her I was from Key West, the best part of Florida, to which she responded "I highly doubt it!" After being momentarily shocked, I asked her why her opinion was thus, to which she replied, "Oh, I've never been, but I lived in Sarasota many years, and it's by far the best place in Florida" So, a bartender, who's never been to my home town, but chooses to denigrate it, even after never having been there, and who complains about the business. Hmmm...maybe her reputation preceded her!
Otherwise, the front desk staff, Brie and Kerry, were amazing! I missed a late night connection into Charlotte, NC, and couldn't make the nearly 2 hr. drive north to Blowing Rock that night, so Kerry nicely let me out of that evening's reservation. Upon arrival, the lovely and graceful Brie pointed out to me how to get into town, was full of energy and questions and information. I can't say enough about these two, both of whom made me not only feel welcome, but friends.
It's a nice spot. I don't mind being able to hear the guests out on the balconies or in the hallway. The sleep I had was fitful, the beds were fine, the water hot, the breakfast just fine. I just wish they'd throw the ashtrays off the balconies, and get rid of that bar mistress, who was a total downer. She really almost made me give the establishment an 'average' review, which wouldn't have been right!
Enjoy your stay! Bring Your Own Booze, and sit by the piano to listen to Charlie tinkle the ivories. Clad in a bowtie and jacket, he had a glint in his eye, and a song in his heart, and really knew how to play the oldies! Great place! Enjoy!!

Room Tip: If you want to be away from the highway side (i.e., noise), choose a room facing the rear gardens, n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for such a pleasant review! We are happy that we could make you feel welcome, and that you enjoyed your room and stay. Smoking is always going to be a tricky situation. While we do not allow smoking in any of the guests rooms, we do try to be accommodating to those that do smoke, by allowing them to do so outside, which does include the guest room balconies. We do apologize that our bartender offended you. We do not believe that was her intent, but she has been spoken to about this incident, and believe that there will be no issues moving forward. We really appreciate your feedback, so we can improve for the future. We hope to be seeing you again!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed for two nights in July for my birthday..Loved the historical ambiance and the service was very good. We had a complimentary wine tasting which was very nice. The first breakfast was not successful as my husband asked (twice !) for his eggs to be sunny side up...they came out over easy and the toast was no where to be seen. We sent them back and when they finally arrived there still was no toast...he likes to eat his eggs and toast together...so we were disappointed. We cancelled the dinner reservation in the dining room because of the breakfast experience and ate in another spot in Blowing Rock. The breakfast on the second day was wonderful! Different server and all was great! Other than that glitch we loved our stay and will definitely come back!

Room Tip: We had a king with balcony overlooking the golf course and it was great!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday, with the complementary wine tasting at the Tavern. We apologize about your breakfast the first morning, but glad that everything went great your 2nd morning here. Hopefully, you will try us for dinner on your next stay. We'd love to have you back!

Been to The Green Park Inn? Share your experiences!