“Family Weekend At Chetola” 3 of 5 stars

Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   North Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605   |
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Blowing Rock
Charlotte, NC
“Family Weekend At Chetola”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked two condos for family and friends at Chetola resort in August for an October 11-13 stay. Of course, this is peak leaf viewing season in the NC mountains, so the condos were pricey. We paid $540/night for the 3 bedroom unit and $350/night for the 1 bedroom unit. I did not see the 1 bedroom unit, but more on the 3 bedroom later....

First, the grounds at Chetola are beautiful and well maintained. It is a very family friendly resort and only minutes from downtown Blowing Rock. Very impressive resort on the drive up. Unfortunately, this is where the above average to excellent ends. The check-in process took 20 minutes and I was the only guest checking in. The staff seems confused and very poorly trained. The gentlemen at the front desk had a confrontation with a vendor while I was checking in, which was a first for me in all my travels. I asked for a reservation at Timberlake's restaurant, which he called for me. No answer.... his reply was that Timberlake's restaurant was the worst department at the resort. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. He promised to follow back up with the restaurant and call me back on my cell phone to confirm or to let me know of no availability. I never heard from him again.

Accomodations: As mentioned, we stayed in a 3 bedroom condo (Allegheny 5). The condo was spacious and quiet. The decor was quite nice, but you can certainly tell the unit is old. As common in mountain properties, the kitchen was dated. The living room sofa had a safety pin holding the fabric over the cushion (which I thought was very bad). Beds were comfortable. No wifi in the room although it was advertised as having wifi. Actually, it was kind of nice not to have wifi for a couple of days. Cell service with Verizon was also very bad in the unit. But, again, I got over it fast. All in all, I was ok with the unit, except for the safety pinned sofa.

Grounds: As I said, very nice and probably one of the nicest grounds in the area.

Timberlake Restaurant: I like Bob Timberlake's art/furniture and was very much looking forward to dining at Timberlake's for dinner. I am in no way a "food/wine snob"... but, the food was average at best. The service was below average. We waited for some time before our order was taken and food took some time to come out. Before we received our food, the hostess came up to the table and asked if we wanted dessert menus. It seems odd to feel like service was slow, but we were being rushed. However, this is the vibe the staff gave to us. The check was also incorrect when it arrived, which took some time to fix.

Timberlake's is the only restaurant on the resort, so they have breakfast there too. The staff recommended the buffet. It was a total disaster. The buffet area is very enclosed and crowded and poorly designed. Granted, there was a wedding party having breakfast on Sat. a.m., but that should not have been a surprise to the staff. They ran out of plates which took them about 10 minutes to replace. I had two 8-year olds with me and they both wanted an omelette. Put their order in and waited. The omelette chef proceeded to make omelettes for 5 other guests that ordered after the kids. Finally, had to say something to him.

There are a lot of very nice restaurants in Blowing Rock. Save yourself the heartache and try those. If Bob Timberlake knew what was going on at the restaurant bearing his name, I cannot imagine he would be very happy....

Area: Very nice, but crowded (which we knew it would be this time of year). We went to Grandfather Mountain during the day and the Ghost Train at Tweetsie Railroad on Sat. night. Both very cool and worth a visit.... especially Ghost Train if you have kids. Warning on Ghost Train though - be prepared for at least a 90 minute wait to ride.

Overall Impression: We had a nice time with family and friends and going up to the NC Mountains this time of year is fantastic. Next year, we will definitely be staying elsewhere. Maybe the rooms at the lodge at Chetola are nicer, but for the price, I imagine there are better accommodations in the area. It is a shame, because again, the grounds are so fabulous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ChetolaResort, Director of Marketing at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. First, we would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay at Chetola. Allow us to take a moment to address a few of your concerns.

October weekends in the mountains are busy. In fact, leaf season is the busiest time of the year. However, even with the crowds, we recognize that 20 minutes is an excessive amount of time needed to check in. We are addressing this issue with our Front Desk Manager to assure this doesn’t happen again. In addition, the Front Desk makes many restaurant reservations for guests during the check-in process and we apologize if yours wasn’t handled in a professional manner. However, we believe there is a misunderstanding regarding the comment you heard from the Front Desk employee that “Timberlake’s Restaurant was the worst department at the resort.” When he was asked about this comment, he said he was simply indicating that Timberlake’s Restaurant is the most difficult department to reach in the afternoon because it is not open for lunch. And regarding the incident of a confrontation between the Front Desk employee and a vendor, the employee has no recollection of any confrontation with a vendor, as vendors do not sign in at the Front Desk and most especially on a Friday afternoon. Is it possible that the employee was giving instructions to a fellow staff member in our Grounds or Maintenance departments?

Please also know that we have notified the owner of the condominium about the tear in the sofa cushion and we are taking care of it. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

To address your breakfast concerns, we did have a large wedding party of close to 200 staying at the resort during your stay and a large contingent did indeed come in for breakfast. We custom-made more than 170 omelets that morning and the restaurant manager said, in hindsight, we should have scheduled another Omelet Chef. That sentiment also holds true for dinner, as the manager agrees that additional staff would have alleviated delays in service. He will also be addressing specific service issues with his staff. The breakfast scheduling issue arose because most of the wedding guests were staying in condominiums and typically, because condominiums have their own kitchens, our condominium guests prepare their own breakfast. To have this many condominium guests is highly unusual as most of our breakfast guests are staying in Chetola Lodge and The Bob Timberlake Inn and only a handful, relatively speaking, come from condominiums. We have spoken with the Omelet Chef and he regrets that you did not inform him of your displeasure at the time because he would have done whatever he could to expedite your children’s order.

Finally, as for your comment that “if Bob Timberlake knew what was going on at the restaurant bearing his name, I cannot imagine he would be very happy…”, Bob Timberlake was actually staying at Chetola that weekend and had dinner Friday night and breakfast Saturday morning at Timberlake’s. Bob is extremely proud of Timberlake’s Restaurant and his partnership with Chetola Resort. He would also apologize for any inconvenience you experienced but would hope that this experience would not prevent a return visit.

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Minocqua, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Relying on Tripadvisor, we booked a deluxe lake view room. When they say view, they mean view. The small lake on the property is beautiful and tranquil with a quartet of swans gliding across its smooth surface. The room is somewhat dated, but immaculately clean and comfortably furnished. The balcony is perfect on a warm fall day. It's hard to believe you're just blocks away from the bustling Blowing Rock Main Street. This hotel defines laid back, comfortable relaxation.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

From the warmest, most gracious welcome to every need accounted for, my overnight stay last week at Chetola was terrific. Staff was attentive and responsive. My favorite is a walk around Chetola Lake. I have a picture of the lake taken in early December 2007 that does not have a hint of snow. I highly recommend Chetola and the surrounding Blowing Rock area with galleries, Ensemble Stage Co, the New Public House, Bistro Roca, Storie Street Grille and more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Fernandina Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Staff and resort is superior in every way. I have stayed in the condos and in room 114. The place is relaxing and the service is all you could ask for. The convenience of the Cone Manor trails is one of the best things about the area. But, stay away from room 5. It is the last room rented and there is plenty of reasons. It is right by the doorway that everybody uses to access the Bob Timberlake bed and breakfast part of the inn. People come and go at all hours (as is there right) and the sitting area for the place is right outside the door. When I finally got to sleep at 2 in the morning I was awakened by the breaksfast staff moving food carts from one floor to another. using hallway and elevator by the room! If you take this room out of the the review I would give the place 5 stars. Room so bad I hesitate to give even 3.

Room Tip: any room but room 5!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed in Spruce 4 for a week and had a lovely vacation in Blowing Rock. The condo is dated as some of the other reviews said, but overall I thought the space was great for a family of 4, and very convenient. In our two bedroom condo there was a bedroom with two twin beds and a bathroom and a bedroom with a king sized bed and bathroom. It also had a living room, wet bar, separate jacuzzi tub room, fully functioning kitchen unit, laundry room with washer and dryer, and patio looking out over the forest. It was great because we could eat breakfast at the condo and save money instead of eating an expensive breakfast out, and we even ate lunch there a few times. If you wanted you could eat in as much as you want. We didn't use the washer dryer but I think that is a great feature if you want to wash something that gets wet or dirty while you're there. We did eat breakfast out on the patio everyday, which was wonderful, and we did give our kids a bath in the jacuzzi which they loved. The beds were comfortable, and the whole experience was overall great. The resort has a spa which was not extensive, but was nice. I got a package with massage, facial, and mani pedi. All technicians were very polite, professional, and friendly, and it was an enjoyable experience. My husband did a fishing trip that he thoroughly enjoyed and he caught a ton of huge fish. We went to the indoor pool with our kids and they loved it, and I loved the heated hot tub. There is very convenient access to trails with the Bass Lake trail and the Moses Cone Manor trails right there next to the property. We took our children with us and I felt like everyone was very accepting of children there. My family had a wonderful week here and would definitely return.

Room Tip: You'll save money by getting a week that is in the off season.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Sept 17th through Sept 20th, 2013
Stayed in Juniper 6 condo and clearly it needed a significant upgrade. There was an abundance of very unnecessary silk flower arrangements including baskets hanging from the bathroom mirror. Bathroom also has only one sink and there is nothing that would classify the room as anything but very basic. The list of amenities stated there was a flat screen TV which was untrue there were two televisions that had to be at least 5 to 7 years old. The worst part of our visit was dinner on Tuesday night. The dining room is extremely small with limited tables. We were seated adjacent to the kitchen door which was left open during our meal which was really ridiculous. The food was so substandard that we could not wait to finish and leave. If you stay at the resort skip the Timberlake restaurant. Also wanted to mention that every person we saw while at the resort appeared to be over 65 which I am only mentioning so that visitors understand the median age of the resort guests at least while we were there. We will not return to the resort nor would we ever recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't chose Juniper 6 unless you like old silk flower arrangements, even ones attached to your b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ChetolaResort, Director of Marketing at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations; however, we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

First, let’s address your comments about your accommodations, Juniper 6, a one-bedroom condominium. You said there was an “abundance of unnecessary silk flower arrangements, including baskets hanging from the bathroom mirror.” While silk flowers may not be suited to everyone’s taste, “an abundance…of arrangements” is an overstatement, and the owner of the condominium has two small arrangements in the top corners of the bathroom mirror which are far from “hanging.” I am happy to share your concerns about the silk arrangements with the owner, but the condominium is decorated tastefully and comfortably, was recently upgraded and is in excellent condition. This unit is also personally requested by several repeat guests. Again, we believe your opinion of the condominium is just a matter of personal taste and preference.

You also noted that the bathroom has only one sink. The condominium you chose is a one-bedroom condominium, so, yes, you’re correct, the bathroom is outfitted with only one sink. All of our condominiums are a 1:1 ratio, one bathroom for every bedroom. The bathroom is a good sized bathroom with two separate entrances: one from the master bedroom and one from the entrance foyer.

As far as your concerns regarding the televisions, they are indeed about five years old. The TV in the living room is a flat-screen tube television, not a flat-panel. The smaller TV in the bedroom is a small tube television. We apologize if you were misled to believe they are flat-panel televisions. The condominiums are furnished by individual owners and the types of televisions they purchase are at the discretion of each owner, although all units have standardized requirements and this unit is in excellent standing. Upon reviewing your comments regarding your lodging, the resort manager visited the condominium, took photos and has posted them under "traveler photos" on the main page of our Trip Advisor listing. They are labeled Juniper 6, one-bedroom condo.

Now, regarding your experience in the restaurant, it is our understanding that at the time you arrived for dinner, there were no other tables available, and you were seated in one of our small dining rooms at a table adjacent to the kitchen. At no time did you mention to your server or to a manager that you were unhappy with your table. The ideal time to do that would be either at the time of being seated or shortly thereafter. You instead waited until the server brought you your check, at which time you not only expressed your displeasure with your table but also with your meal, even though, according to the server, you never complained about any of the food you ordered and ate. Again, while you never expressed any displeasure during your meal, our restaurant manager took your concerns to heart and came to your table to apologize for any inconvenience and to let you know that your alcohol would be complimentary of the restaurant. Instead of accepting his offer graciously and accepting his apology, you admonished him, told him an apology wouldn’t help and told him to go away. He left your newly adjusted bill on the table and walked away at your request.

As for your comment about our clientele all being over 65 and that you’re just letting people know the “median age of resort guests,” I’m not sure what you hope to accomplish with that comment. We welcome and appreciate all of our guests, regardless of age, race, gender, religious affiliation and attitude.
Mount Airy, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hubby and I booked a lakeside lodge room with balcony and we were not disappointed. The Bob Timberlake furnishings and decorations in the Chetola really set the resort apart from others. Beds were comfortable, room was well laid out, and the balcony gave us a wonderful view of Chetola Lake and some weddings the weekend we were there. Breakfast offerings were plentiful and delicious each day, and we enjoyed the seating near the fire pit one evening. Parking was convenient and we rented 3 DVDs to watch at night, though we ran out of time to do so. I loved walking to Bass Lake in the morning for exercise, and then just around the corner to the Outlet Mall for some afternoon retail therapy one day.

Grandfather Mountain is not far away, we took in the Arts-in-the-Park activities one afternoon, and dined in several local restaurants during our stay. Had a great time and would definitely recommend this lovely lodge and venue to our friends.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms with balcony are wonderful in warm weather.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock? Share your experiences!