“The best meal I ever had” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“The best meal I ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Chef James was so nice and warm made us feel like family taking care of our every needs, likes, and dislikes. We ate things we would not have ate before. It was that good.

Visited October 2012
GPIOwners, General Manager at Laurel Room Restaurant, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We're so glad that you enjoyed your meal, and experience! Sounds as though you must have dined at the Chef's Table, inside of his 3500 square foot kitchen, where all of the action takes place. That's a special, and unique experience, for sure. Thanks for joining us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lincolnton NC
“Good food---short staffed?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Breaktast food was excellent. Seemed like the staff was a little "under"? Waiters/waitresses were also serving as bus-boys, so many were entering with tables uncleared. This didn't happen to US, but we saw it happen to a lot of guests who entered after us. These guests were told to take a seat and that their tables would be cleared shortly, but needless to say this is very unappetizing. Suggest getting 1 or 2 dedicated bus-boys.

Visited November 2012
Staffing is sometimes a problem, so we apologize to anyone who was not seated at a fully cleaned and set table. Seems as though, on this day, the hostess may not have been here, which is unfortunate. Generally, on busy weekends their is a breakfast hostess who will stay on top of directing staff as to when guests have left tables, and also assist in clearing, etc. We'll try to stay more on top of that aspect of our breakfast service, and thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great gourmet dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were blown away by our dinners at this restaurant in the Green Park Hotel. Every dish was unique - from the breads to the salads, entrees, and desserts - in presentation, ingredients, and taste sensations. Everything we ordered was excellent and memorable. It was an adventure and a delectable experience. We will remember our meals there for a long time to come. We hunger to return again soon.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wow, we're so happy that you enjoyed your meal so much. It's great to hear from folks who understand that Chef James' food preparation is in no way "ordinary", and who can appreciate excellent and exciting flavor combinations, aromas, and visual appeal. We'll look forward to seeing you again!
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Mixed Feelings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I travel from Charlotte to the Asheville/Boone on business every month or so. The hotel is geat. It's older, quaint and has a lot of character. I usually grab a drink and some food in the bar. The service is excellent, the staff is outgoing and the atmosphere is friendly. Most of the time that is. I've noticed that there seems to be a decidely "cooler" tone to the place when one of the managers is around. When Lori (Laurie?) is around, the staff is reserved and not as outgoing. I've seen her berate them and make inappropriate comments. She seems to be there drinking alot and brings a palor to the atmosphere. Avoid the bar if she is there.

Nashville, Tennessee
“I am amazed that this isn't the top-rated restaurant in Blowing Rock!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I took my wife to Blowing Rock, near her hometown, for a long weekend to celebrate her 39th birthday. After lots of online research I decided to book a room at the Green Park Inn. For our first night dinner I opted for the convenience of the hotel's dining room, the Laurel Room-- in spite of its "14th Best in Blowing Rock" rating on TripAdvisor.com.

I would bet all that I own that there are not 13 better restaurants in Blowing Rock-- I doubt if there are 13 better in the state of North Carolina. We eat out often in Nashville, where we live, and enjoy the many wonderful dining options we have here. I have traveled the nation and major cities around the world, sampling some of the most acclaimed chef's cuisines. I can absolutely say that the two dinners we enjoyed at the Laurel Room were among the very best meals we have ever experienced.anywhere.

Chef James Welch is a creative genius. For our first evening in Blowing Rock, I hesitantly ordered the "Espresso Encrusted Bitter Sweet Chocolate Stuffed Beef Tenderloin;" the idea of combining a prime filet with bittersweet chocolate seemed radical-- and it is, radically delicious. My wife and another lady in our party of four ordered "Pan Seared Halibut, topped with pecan crust and served over wilted arugula with goat cheese." They raved about it. The other gentleman in our party ordered "Thai Seasoned Crabmeat Encrusted Rare Tuna" and loved it. All of the entrees were generous, beautifully presented, and priced well below most other restaurants of similar quality.

These creative entrees were paired with Watermelon and Mozzerella salad for one of us, the Spinach Salad for my wife and me, and the Heirloom Tomato salad for another. They were all delicious,. unusual and generous salads.

Having enjoyed our first evening so much, my wife and I decided to forego trying a different (higher-rated) restaurant and return for another dinner at Laurel Room on our second night. We asked if the "Chef's Table" was available that evening; fortunately, it was so I reserved it. If you have a chance to experience eating IN the spacious, sparkling clean kitchen, served by the Chef himself, don't miss it. Chef James prepared special, off-menu courses for us-- five courses in all-- and each was more delicious than the one before it. Hearing him describe how he had selected the vegetables he served us from the garden behind the hotel, where his ideas for unusual recipes came from, and of his passion for making Laurel Room a world-class fine dining establishment-- all of it made for a most memorable, entertaining and (most importantly) delicious evening which we will always remember.

As one of the owners of the restaurant, Chef James is working hard to build its reputation; he has been at the helm for only about a year, coming from Crippen's, also in Blowing Rock. He deserves more recognition for the excellent cuisine he creates, for the value delivered, and for the staff he is developing.

As one who rarely raves about restaurant experiences, I am now a true fan of Chef James and Laurel Room; we will return as soon as another (six and a half hour) trip to Blowing Rock is possible!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks so much for joining us and for taking the time to review us. Yes, Chef James is truly a culinary genius and it's so great to hear from guests who truly have broad culinary experience and an appreciate for food that is not "ordinary". We look forward to seeing you, again!