“A few issues” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“A few issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff at reception was polite. The hotel was convenient to my business requirements. The price was very good. The TV and cable options were good. The heater in the room was good. The breakfast was mediocre but typical of an average HIE. There is an Outback Steakhouse within walking distance.

Now for the bad... There was a brown smear on the toilet (not in the bowl) that was clearly overlooked by the cleaning staff. It was gross. Further, it might have been the weirdest bathroom and toilet in an American hotel that I've ever used. The toilet sat maybe 3" lower than the standard old school low toilets which made it feel incredibly lower than the new school ADA type toilets that sit higher. My knees were above my groin when sitting and we're not even close to parallel to the ground. Also, the architect or engineer who designed the layout of the bathroom needs a new career. My left knee hit the toilet roll dispenser and I had to wedge myself into position each time I sat. I'm only 5" 10". That shouldn't happen. And the number one thing that made no sense and really ticked me off is that the toilet seat cover could not sit upright at a 90 degree angle cause the counter top came out too far from the wall. Therefore the seat lid was at a closed angle by at least ten plus degrees. When you sat down, you had to lean forward to do your business. It was weird. As a man, you couldn't lift the seat to go #1 because it wouldn't stay up due to the angle. It forced you to sit down or use one hand to hold the seat and lid. Very complicated. I don't know how others have never complained.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay, Our goal is to make sure every guest has an enjoyable stay with us, but based on your comments we did not do that in your case. We appreciate the feedback and I will pass this on to the ownership of the property and see if we cannot come up with a solution to fix the issues that you mentioned in your comments. I will also talk with the housekeeping supervisors and housekeepers about the issues you experienced in your room. Once again I apologize for the your experience and hope that you will give us another try. Thanks again for staying with us we truly appreciate it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Free breakfast nice hotel...but the toilet looks not clean. Noticed one face towel that is not so white compare to other towels. Its like yellowish white. Aao far so good. Receptionist are so nice and friendly so far.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay. I thought we had gotten rid of all the towels that had started turning but it seems there is still a few mixed in . Iwill have the executive housekeeper check and make sure that we take any out that is turning yellow. The commodes are clean. Some of them have rust spots in them from when the bolts are sawed off to replace the seats and we have to get a strong rust spot remover to remove them. I thought we had gotten all of them but I will do another walk through to check all of them again.
Archdale, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My family stayed for a quick ski weekend. Very quiet & comfortable. The staff (everyone): front desk, housekeeping & food service were extremely friendly. The breakfast was yummy and bountiful as the staff worked tirelessly to replenish the food for many people. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
AT

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your kind words onto the staff, Our goal is to provide great service to all our guest. We appreciate your feedback. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon.
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Can't go wrong with 2 Queen size beds and a full breakfast in the morning when travelling with the family. Great little hotel. Nice staff, clean premises. Will say that the pool is much smaller than it appears in the photos, but is very warm, and the kids still enjoyed it. Great value for money. We stayed here to go tubing at Hawks Nest. Very convenient to Boone and Blowing Rock.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank You for the review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to provide great service to all of guest. I will pass your kind words on to the the staff. Thanks again for your feedback and staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

Hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My family really enjoy this humble but cozy hotel. the pool was fine,
super clean rooms, the front desk people very friendly ... and maybe the price was right
had a lovely Christmas and I'm sure we will return soon

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Leo G

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

Hope to see you again soon.
Climax, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a New Years trip to the mountains. The room was very clean and well appointed. Bedding was comfy and warm. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The indoor pool was warm and clean. The breakfast selection was decent and well stocked. Overall I highly recommend and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013
hiexpressbr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your kind words onto the staff. Thanks again for staying with us we truly appreciate it.

Hope to see you again in the future
Pinehurst, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Clean, friendly hotel. Very close to shopping district in Blowing Rock. Convenient to all restaurants. Good value. Visited on Dec. 3 for annual visit and Christmas Tree cutting. Would recommend this for anyone, including families with children.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are glad to hear you ewnjoyed your stay with us, I will pass your feedback on to the staff. Thanks again for staying with us, we truly appreciate it.

Hope to see you again soon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South? Share your experiences!