“Restaurant Business more important than Guests” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Red Rocker Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Black Mountain
Red Rocker Inn
You added Red Rocker Inn to your Saves list
136 N. Dougherty St., Black Mountain, NC 28711   |
roswell, ga.
“Restaurant Business more important than Guests”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

This was my husband's and my first stay at a B&B. We thought lack of privacy might be an issue for us, so avoided them in the past.
Our room was small, but acceptable. After viewing many of the other rooms, we found ours to be on the larger side.
The real problem was public space...stuffing 17 rooms with baths AND a large amount of space containing the restaurant leaves very little space for the guests to stretch out. Those red rockers on the smallish porch became extremely important. Competing for them and the very small living area in the house with the people waiting to be seated in the restaurant borderlined on insanity.
Had it not been for our genuine interest in Black Mountain (charming!) and the close vicinity to Asheville, we probably would not have spent an hour before our trip home looking at other B&B's in the immediate area...and found some much more to our liking.
So, while we will be staying at B&B's again in our future, we won't be returning to this one...and will watch out for others with dining on site!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Total lack of common space for guests
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

I recently stayed at the Red Rocker Inn for 4 nights for my honeymoon and can not say enough wonderful things about the experience and the new innkeepers, Doug and Jenny Bowman. When we checked in, Doug upgraded our room to a larger room for free as they were not too busy that week in March and we had booked a rather small room for a multi-night stay. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and the Garrett room we were upgraded to was tastefully decorated, spacious, had an electric fireplace, and was very romantic. The cookies in the afternoons and evenings and the refrigerator stocked with water and sodas were a nice touch. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone. The Black Mountain area is charming and Doug and Jenny make for very gracious and helpful hosts. I can't wait for my next visit!

• Liked — Wonderful room, great breakfast, gracious innkeepers
  • Disliked — Would've enjoyed a small TV in the room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

I recently stayed at the Red Rocker Inn and would not recommend it unless you want a hernia, hypothermia, and misleading innkeepers.

When I made the reservation I spoke directly with the inn. I wanted the nicest room for my anniversary. I was told they had a room with a fireplace and it was their best - but around 50 dollars more. I booked it for three days in late August.

When we arrived with 6 pieces of luggage (thanks to airline weight restrictions) we were handed a key and shown to a room on the third floor up narrow Victorian style staircases. But getting the luggage up there was completely up to us. No one offered to lift a finger to help.

I was terribly disappointed when I saw the room. It was tiny with no place to put anything, it had one little armoire and an even smaller dresser hidden in the bathroom. So we left most of the clothes in the suitcases and had to climb over them the whole time. The room was really small and narrow. The bathroom was cramped with one small sink. The worst part was the temperature. The A/C vent was directly over the bed and even when shut it blew cold air directly over our heads. The first night I nearly froze to death. I tried to turn on my fireplace I paid extra for, but it didn't work. It was one a.m. and I didn't have a phone in my room to call anyone to complain about it. I woke up the next morning with a sore throat and the beginnings of a cold.

The next morning I was rudely told that the inn is old and I should expect things like this - since they have to cool the lower floors too, the only way to do so is to make the top floor freezing. And I mean freezing. The maids told me I should have used the fireplace, so I told them that my fireplace was not working. When this information was conveyed to the owner she said "well, of course not. IF it did, we wouldn't be able to keep the lower floors cool enough. We turn the fireplace off in the summer." When I explained that I had paid extra just to have the fireplace she looked at me blankly and just repeated what she had said. No apology. No offer to reimburse me. Nothing.
Now why would I pay for a NON working fireplace??? I believe that little piece of information should have been conveyed when I was booking the room, but then, that's me. I had to fight to get it turned on so that I wouldn't freeze the next night.

Finally, don't expect any little extras like hairdryers in the rooms. Bring your own because they don't have them in the rooms, and no phones either, so you can forget trying to call for one. Of course you can walk down the three flights of stairs in your towel to ask for one, but while you are doing that, I suggest you walk right out the door to another B & B and leave the rockers for the innkeeper. There are much better choices.

The food was adequate buffet style, but nothing special. Oh, and you better expect to get up early. They start cold breakfast at 7am, warm at 8am and crumbs by 9. Seriously, the food is gone by 9 a.m. Not a problem, unless you are coming in from the west coast and don't mind eating at 5 a.m. your time.

If I am allowed to, I would suggest staying at the Chateau on the Mountain instead. I have been there too and it is many many times nicer. The rooms are huge, tastefully decorated, the view is magnificent and the innkeepers cannot do enough to help. If this is not allowed, then please delete this last paragraph only.

• Liked — Good coffee
  • Disliked — Every other part of the experience.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a valet, hairdryer, extra blankets, and check whether fireplace will be turned on. Stay elsewhere if possible. Overpriced, and terrible service.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chattanooga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

What a great B&B. I have stayed at a couple of nice B&B's in Highland's North Carolina so didn't know what to expect. We weren't disappointed. The room was great (I think the name of it was the Anniversary room) and the breakfast was top notch. We had dinner there one night as well and it was great. I recommend this B&B to anyone going to the Asheville, NC area.

• Stayed November 2005
Merrick, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2005

It might have been just a bad day. I chose to stay there because of reviews on this site. I was really excited about the night we would stay there. During that trip I stayed at two other inns on reviewed on this site Jarrett House in Dillsboro and one at Banner Elk. At both places, the people who worked there were really friendly. I mean I can't say enough good about those other places.

The woman who runs the inn..don't remember her name..acted like I was a moron. I mean it was just too condescending. It was NOT my imagination. I am in my 40s and had my mom with me in her 70s. She noticed too. I was really relieved when I later met the two guys who also own it because I had a question. They were really nice and helpful. There was another woman there I met when I first walked in.. I asked to cancel the dinner reservation... I kept debating, and it was obvious I was ------- her off. I then discussed it with my mom (probably l5 min. max since I first cancelled it) and said we would like to have dinner after all. She had to go check to see if they could fit us in and acted totally put out. lol... I mean I was totally open to eating at any time and l5 min. earlier we had reservations. I saw her again in the dining room, and she too acted like I was an idiot.

That said.. the rooms are gorgeous, the neighborhood is nice, and I loved meeting all the people staying there. I just really couldn't handle the female innkeeper and the female that also was working in the kitchen. The rest of the waiters and waitresses were wonderful! Would I stay there again.. I don't know. I mean the area is great, but I really like to be treated politely.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

We tried this place out as it was recommended by family in the local area and had good reviews. We stayed during the week of Christmas.

The rooms were nice, but there were no locks on the doors so anyone could come into the room and go through your things. The first couple of days went fine. One the 3rd day, we returned to the inn to a terrible smell in our room...apparently a possum had died underneath our room. We asked to be moved to another room, but were told there were no spare rooms. We had to find somewhere else to stay that evening because we couldn't take the stench. The owners never offered to put us up at another place. The next day we were moved to another room. We found this out after we returned to our room to find out things gone and moved elsewhere. We noticed that a few toiletries were missing and started to ask the innskeeper, Elizabeth, if they might have accidently been knocked over when our room was cleaned and if she could check the towels to see if they might have fallen in there when they were picked up. Before we could finish what we trying to say, she announced to the whole dining room that we were liars for accusing her staff of stealing and asked us to leave! We immediately got our stuff and left the inn.

As the reservation was made under our relatives' name, we gave them cash to pay for our stay. My 83 year old grandmother stopped by to pay them after we left and tried to explain to the situation to them, but they refused to hear her out. She and other family members were regular patrons at this place, but after our ordeal, they have all refused to go back. We've traveled all around the world and have stayed in much nicer places than this inn, but never have we ever been treated so badly.

• Stayed December 2002
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

There is nothing negative I can even come up with to say. The decor is beautiful. This place is very well maintained. It is comfortable. the staff goes out of their way to show true southern hospitality. They do so many extra things for you that you truely get your moneys worth out of your stay. You cannot go wrong staying here.
Then there is the food. I cannot say enough about the food . It is 5 star excellant. It is plentiful. It is a beautiful example of good southern cooking at its absolute best. My advice is save room for dessert, you will need it. this is the best food I have ever eaten away from home.
The best thing I guess I can say is that I will be back. These people have gained a customer for life.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Red Rocker Inn? Share your experiences!