“Wow.” 5 of 5 stars

828-357-5656
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Great local beers on tap and good selection of health conscious food.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Wow. Just wanted to start off with that. Wow.

I'll start off here - I'm a bit of a foodie. My brother, who was joining me on a road trip when we stopped here, is not so much. We both enjoy food, but I tend towards quirkier, more out-there joints. That said, I learned on this trip that he has an amazing sense of where to stop for food.

We almost passed by here while walking around the beautiful town of Black Mountain, looking for a place to eat. My brother stopped us here, and we walked in. Seated quickly, given a menu quickly, and had our order taken quickly. Excellent assortment of local beers - I had the Bison Organic Honey Basil Ale, which was great - and the food blew my mind.

My brother went with a more traditional fish-and-chips meal, which I tried (delicious). I went a bit out of my zone - got a fried chicken dish, which on its own isn't too off-beat, but the sides (corn pudding and sauteed kale) made this dish one of my favorites from our trip. So many flavors that I hadn't tried before, and it all went so well with the juicy chicken (which had the best skin I've had on a piece of fried chicken).

Highly, highly recommend - both a stay in this town, and a stop at this restaurant.

Visited July 2012

Black Mountain, North Carolina
“Good fish,so so service! a little disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

We both had Mountain to Sea, fish and chips and the fish was excellent. We had asked about substitution for French fries and our waitress said sure any of the sides listed, [all show the same price] so one got mashed potatoes, which arrived cool, and one Mac & cheese which was good. When the bill came there was an extra charge of $1.00 each for substitutions which we feel the waitress should of told us. I also feel it should have came with slaw. Which usually comes with fish & chips.ba little disappointed.

“What a delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Trailhead was a great find the other night. My girlfriend and I ment to eat dinner at the Staitaway cafe but found that they were closed that evening. We drove into the town of Black Mountain and tried to eat at Thai Basil, unfortunately they closed right when we arrived at 9. Discouraged and hungry we passed by the Trailhead and decided to settle there.
What a fantastic find! We started with a couple of margaritas, they make their own sour mix in-house and it was fab! We then shared the sweet potato soup TO DIE FOR!! Shortly after we shared the tempeh sandwich and the pork dish. Everything was fresh and bursting with flavor(with the exception of the polenta, tasteless). For dessert we had wonderful coffee that needs no cream nor sugar and the peanut butter pie was out of this world!! My only complaint would be that our server was not on top of it. I was constantly wondering where the hell she was. We received our food with no silverware or napkins and it was like pulling teeth to get a refill on coffee.
All in all we will return!

Black Mountain, North Carolina
“Great service, food pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've been to this restaurant twice. Both times the food was pretty good. I would definitely stick to the bar food. The fish and chips were amazing (they use haddock I think), but the salmon cakes were really quite heavy and undeserving of their price, in my opinion. Great beer selection with local breweries on tap. Service was very friendly. Don't expect to have a quick meal if you are going on a busy night!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, NC
“Restaurant with good draft ales”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

There are pubs that serve good food. Bars that serve good food. Then there are restaurants that serve good ale. What's the difference and what's my point? There are some places that are great alehouses that happen to serve pretty good food in this town. We thought that this was what Trailhead was going to be about. Instead we found food so good that it has become a destination just for the food itself.

The Pisgah Pale Ale batter dipped onion rings are the best in the area. Period. Only onion rings we've ever had better were The Varsity in Atlanta, Georgia across from Georgia Tech and maybe the now defunct Rockola Cafe.

The Mac and Cheese is made with gouda cheese and is also one of the best we've had.

We've had the Talapia fish taco. It was good although the cumin almost overpowers the taste.

The fish and chips are pretty good. The standard hamburger is excellent, approaching best in town again. The fries are excellent, the polenta cakes outstanding. The special huevos rancheros we ordered was good.

In other words, we've not had a bad meal here yet, and we've eaten here at least six times already.They've only been opened about three months.

Looks like they've got about 14 ales on tap from Pisgah, Foothills, Oskar Blues, Sierra Nevada, and a few others. I understand an owner of Pisgah Brewing owns about 25 percent interest in this restaurant. Even the coffee is a special blend made just for them by The Dripolator coffee house just across the parking lot. You can also dine out in the open air porch and catch the downtown scenery.

Prices are reasonable. The hamburger and fries, which will feed two people or one construction worker, is about $7.95. A huge plate of their onion rings will feed two or three and is about $4.95 or $5.95. The fish taco plate is about $6.95 and the fish and chips was $9.95.

Unless you love takeout, one entry and one appetizer is about as much for two normal adults to share. Premium ales are $4 a pint; although today draft PBR was on special for $2.

Highly recommended.