“What a delight!” 5 of 5 stars

828-357-5656
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Great local beers on tap and good selection of health conscious food.
“What a delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Trailhead was a great find the other night. My girlfriend and I ment to eat dinner at the Staitaway cafe but found that they were closed that evening. We drove into the town of Black Mountain and tried to eat at Thai Basil, unfortunately they closed right when we arrived at 9. Discouraged and hungry we passed by the Trailhead and decided to settle there.
What a fantastic find! We started with a couple of margaritas, they make their own sour mix in-house and it was fab! We then shared the sweet potato soup TO DIE FOR!! Shortly after we shared the tempeh sandwich and the pork dish. Everything was fresh and bursting with flavor(with the exception of the polenta, tasteless). For dessert we had wonderful coffee that needs no cream nor sugar and the peanut butter pie was out of this world!! My only complaint would be that our server was not on top of it. I was constantly wondering where the hell she was. We received our food with no silverware or napkins and it was like pulling teeth to get a refill on coffee.
All in all we will return!

Black Mountain, North Carolina
“Great service, food pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've been to this restaurant twice. Both times the food was pretty good. I would definitely stick to the bar food. The fish and chips were amazing (they use haddock I think), but the salmon cakes were really quite heavy and undeserving of their price, in my opinion. Great beer selection with local breweries on tap. Service was very friendly. Don't expect to have a quick meal if you are going on a busy night!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, NC
“Restaurant with good draft ales”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

There are pubs that serve good food. Bars that serve good food. Then there are restaurants that serve good ale. What's the difference and what's my point? There are some places that are great alehouses that happen to serve pretty good food in this town. We thought that this was what Trailhead was going to be about. Instead we found food so good that it has become a destination just for the food itself.

The Pisgah Pale Ale batter dipped onion rings are the best in the area. Period. Only onion rings we've ever had better were The Varsity in Atlanta, Georgia across from Georgia Tech and maybe the now defunct Rockola Cafe.

The Mac and Cheese is made with gouda cheese and is also one of the best we've had.

We've had the Talapia fish taco. It was good although the cumin almost overpowers the taste.

The fish and chips are pretty good. The standard hamburger is excellent, approaching best in town again. The fries are excellent, the polenta cakes outstanding. The special huevos rancheros we ordered was good.

In other words, we've not had a bad meal here yet, and we've eaten here at least six times already.They've only been opened about three months.

Looks like they've got about 14 ales on tap from Pisgah, Foothills, Oskar Blues, Sierra Nevada, and a few others. I understand an owner of Pisgah Brewing owns about 25 percent interest in this restaurant. Even the coffee is a special blend made just for them by The Dripolator coffee house just across the parking lot. You can also dine out in the open air porch and catch the downtown scenery.

Prices are reasonable. The hamburger and fries, which will feed two people or one construction worker, is about $7.95. A huge plate of their onion rings will feed two or three and is about $4.95 or $5.95. The fish taco plate is about $6.95 and the fish and chips was $9.95.

Unless you love takeout, one entry and one appetizer is about as much for two normal adults to share. Premium ales are $4 a pint; although today draft PBR was on special for $2.

Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ohio
“Very impressed!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Found outselves in Black Mountain on a Sunday nite and most of th restaurants has already closed their kitchen.
They have only been open for 1 1/2 months. The service was wonderful, and all the waitresses would stop by and check on us. They have a wonderful selection of organic beers and are going to offer samplers in the future. We ordered their Mountain of Fish and it was GREAT!! They handcut their own fries and make their own tartar sauce. Great town, and wonderful dinning experience. I will go back!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Asheville, North Carolina
“Low key, bar atmosphere, GREAT FOOD!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Be aware that I hardly ever give a 5.
The Trailhead is a relatively new establishment in Black Mountain occupying the space previously used by the Watershed. The staff is very friendly and
Sadly we went later in the evening and they were out of mussells. My sons says the mussels are fantastic and the waitress said they usually sell out. She also said they are fresh never frozen and arrive several times a week. The night we were there the chef had concocted a pepper curry soup that was super. The waitress said she hopes he wrote the recipe down! We also had the Mountain to Sea (fish and chips), Trailhead (½ lb burger) and O-Rings (onion rings) The fish and onion rings are deep fried with a very light and crispy batter utilizing Pisgah Pale Ale beer. Pisgah is a craft brewery also in Black Mountain. Everything we had was extremely good. I tried a couple of the Pisgah beers, Bacon Stout and Smoked Porter. The porter was a little much for my taste but the stout had a very good bacony taste. I settled for a brown ale since they did not have my favorite, Pisgah Porter. The prices are very reasonable and I highly recommend the place.

• Visited May 2012