“Some improvement since my last visit” 3 of 5 stars

Days Inn Biscoe
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   531 E. Main St, Hwy 26/27 off US 220, Biscoe, NC 27209   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Biscoe
Marietta, Georgia
“Some improvement since my last visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

For the past several years, business concerns have taken me to Biscoe, NC, and the Day's Inn has been the hotel of choice, because it is adjacent to the companies with which I do business and the nearest other hotels are more than 20 miles away. Please see my earlier review for my comments, which I will here revise and extend.

Security: this has always seemed like a secure, small-town hotel. It attracts people of all sorts, and particularly workmen who are staying in the area for extended periods, but it has never seemed less than safe. I have never been concerned for my personal safety or my vehicle security while there. This year, for the first time, I saw police patrolling the lot randomly.

Previously I've written that the hotel needed refreshing, so it was a surprise to turn into the parking lot that leads to the hotel (at the back and behind a grocery store) and see the new exterior paint job. The hotel has an exterior appearance that is much, much more attractive than previously. The rooms as well had been repainted, with some new furniture and television, and possibly a new tub surround, but the carpet and furniture are still worn and stained and there is considerable rust on some of the metal bathroom fixtures, though I did not observe any mold. The room was clean upon my arrival and kept that way during my stay. I had no problems with cleanliness.

The bed was comfortable, with plenty of fluffy pillows, enough for two, and the air conditioning worked well, so it was easy to get comfortable enough to sleep as it always has been. However, as previously remarked, it is difficult to sleep late. Workman cranking loud truck engines, clomping up and down the metal stairs, and even hotel workers rolling the cleaning carts by the room with their sqeaky wheels make it impossible to sleep much later than about 8am during the week.

The TV worked well and had a good mix of channels from various regions of the state. The internet connection was quick, easy and fast. Refrigerator and microwave were provided, and a hairdryer, but not an ironing board and iron, which would have been helpful for a longer term stay.

Check in this year was a little strange. I had made my reservation, as always, through the Day's Inn website but for some reason there was a problem with the specific room designation which management said was because I had made the reservation through an outside hotel reservation service - which I did not. They suggested that I call them directly int he future, which was odd and a little suspicious for a chain hotel. Check out was quick and easy.

With a Waffle House just across the parking lot, I never use the hotel continental breakfast room but the area was being renovated this year so I'm not sure it is available.

All in all, this hotel is a low-priced hotel in quality (though clean) but upper mid-level in price, so it is not a good value. But it is convenient and clean and that is the appeal.

Be aware that the highway (NC 24) in front of the hotel is being widened and there is considerable construction. The lane markings and travel routes are neither well-striped nor well-signed. Be careful driving in the area. I suspect that the widening of the highway may be the reason for the renovation. Hopefully the hotel renovation will result in further improvement.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

This is the fourth year that I've been traveling to this area on business, and I use this hotel because it is quite convenient to the area that I need to be and requires multiple night stays. It is the only hotel in town and perhaps is an example of why competition is a good thing. Several times that I have been here, there have been groups of workment with trucks, including this time, and that tends to make the place louder, especially early in the morning when they get up to leave. Check-in and check-out are always quick and easy. This year, my air conditioner automatically worked when I got to the room, but if yours doesn't, call the office because one year I was told they have to "turn it on" from there so that it will work in the room.

The room was clean and kept clean the entire time I was there. The carpet is worn and stained. Some years there has been no hint of mold, thisy ear there was. Some years there is rust on some of the fixtures, this year there was not. It probably depends on what room you get. Wallpaper is beginning to peel from the walls in places. The furniture is simple, the electrical outlets few. The TV has a wide selection of channels, right around 80. The internet connection is easy, reliable, and pretty fast. Refrigerator and microwave are supplied and both worked well.

The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. I had no trouble sleeping in terms of the bed itself and the room. The noise from the parking lot intrudes on the room so as to awaken you and I was not able to sleep as late as I would have liked any day that I was there on my most recent stay. If you're near the stairs, there's no mercy because they are metal and uncarpeted and people tromping down them make a lot of noise. Also, work trucks with loud engines are cranked and left to run. The place seemed reasonable secure, though this is reflective of the clientele rather than the hotel staff - they seemed to remain inside the office most of the time. In some areas, police can be seen to patrol the parking lots periodically; in this small town, I've never seen them here.

I do not use the breakfast room since there are both a Hardee's and a Waffle House at the other end of the parking lot, a short walk or drive.

My experience has been that this is an acceptable place to stay if you can tolerate very basic, worn, and simple conditions. I have had the experience like other reviewers of getting to a room and finding "evidence" of previous guests, but usually, it has been clean and kept clean. On one occasion, the lock mechanism on the door didn't work and had to be dismantled and changed, a process that took an hour or so. It is certainly more expensive than the overall condition and level of the hotel would justify but it is the only place in town. It is a low-end hotel with medium level prices. Certainly, this hotel needs a complete makeover but in the meantime, it can be an acceptable place to stay - but no more.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Clarksburg, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

We were there for 5 days. Staff was very nice. Carpet was very old and VERY stained but the room was clean otherwise. Good mattress, bad pillows. Breakfast wasn't what we were used too in a motel. We tried to get late checkout and hoped for 1 pm but their late checkout is noon. It's the only motel anywhere near Troy or Biscoe so there wasn't really any choice. The price was ok but considering how old the motel is it was not a fair price. The nearby shopping turns out to be a food store and drug store. A Hardee's and Waffle House are the only places to eat within walking distance. The air conditioner is turned off in the office and ours got turned off one of the days we were there. They did say they were sorry. They must control the cable too because that went out one day too and came back as soon as I called the office. We would stay there again if we had to but I hope I don't need to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Ripley, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

First apperance when I walked into the room was great, it was nice and clean, big TV wth plenty of good channels to choose from, the beds were excelent, comfy pillows & matress. Had fride and microwave, so that was a plus. As I walked in to use the batroom (which was very small, and it did not have a vent system) I noticed a hair on the floor, as I started to look around (on the floor) I started noticing LOTS of hair on the floor. I took a piece of toilet paper and swiped it across the floor, you would not believe how DIRTY IT WAS!! it was absoutley FILTHY!!! There is no way that the floor had been cleaned from the night before--whoever was i the room. I wore my shoes the rest of the night when i went to the bathroom. I went to the breakfast bar that morning...it was MAYBE a 10*10 room with ONE table in the corner, basically taking up the rest of the space...there was only cereal and juice to choose from, not much of a breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
ATL, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

Stayed here for 2 months while working in Biscoe..
The room was just fine, king suite, smoking. Fridge and microwave included. Walking distance to local amenities.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Room clean on arrival light smell of cleaning agents. Bed comfortable though the pillows a bit lumpy.. Cleaned daily by staff.
TV worked reasonable well, occasional 'static' on certain channels and the volume varied wildly from channel to channel.
Noise levels mild.. Most noise came from stop in, beach bound tourist with kids in tow or an occasional local passing through the parking lot 'thumping'.
This place is a great way stop for trips through the area and reasonable if you in the area for work and 'rough it'. Not a hotel fault here just the local area as Biscoe has FEW amenities to offer. Biscoe is the very smallest of small town America..

• Liked — Location related to work.
  • Disliked — Lack of local amenities..
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ypsilanti
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

Run as fast as you can, I booked this hotel on line because of the price offer. One of the requirements was that once you booked the hotel, you could not cancel. This is a big cue, when we arrived at the hotel, the front office was very nice, but the rooms were dirty and smelled bad. We changed rooms three times in an attempt to stay the night. Each room was the same, dirty and with a foul smell. I felt sorry for the lady that checked us in, she continue to say she was sorry. We finally cut our losses and checked out, we was suppose to stay for three days.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, I hope the management invest in new carpeting, paint and a cleaning staff that takes pride in his or her work.

Diane and Robert Byrd
Ypsilanti, Michigan

• Liked — The night clerk understanding attitude
  • Disliked — the rooms were dirty( all three)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Days Inn Biscoe? Share your experiences!