“Snow machines!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Outdoors
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: All-season activities abound at this mountain resort area: skiing, tubing and snowboarding in the winter; hiking, fishing and biking in the summer.
“Snow machines!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went to ski beech, nc, feb 17th for night skiing, and the conditions were great besides the snow machines I don't mean a few but every trail has tons... The mountain had some powder which is rare but mostly ice. It is the east and the south so always expect ice! They should have turned on the snow machines once everyone was done night skiing at 10pm. It was rude and ruined the conditions for skiing. Riding the lift your getting hit by the snow machines blowing, sucks cuz a few of us wiped out bad because the snow machines blowing over the trails, imagine your shreding down a trail doing real well and bam you get hit with pretty much freezing ice and you can't see anything out of your goggles! Its ridiculous. Also the ski rental place actually beside the lodge sucks no good equipment, no demo skis or sport skis. Staff in the rental shops were kinda rude too. Go to the rental shop upton of the mountain in the ski beech town by the snow sledding hill they have better equipment and it doesn't smell like sweaty socks in that shop like at ski beech. Be careful with leaving your ski rentals around if your going into the lodge mine were taken. The lodge needs a nice update. The lifts are very slow about 5 min ride to get to the top and especially slow loading and unloading and the seats are like a foot off the ground when loading and unloading. Over all it was alright if it wasn't for all the machines being on it would have been much better. So let's go over Pros: highest ski resort In north carolina, close parking lot to slopes, skiers and boraders aren't just sitting on the slopes in your way. Cons: out dated lodge, no regaurd for people skiing at night blowing snow everywhere, expensive weekend rates, lifts move slow even the high speed quad, icey, staff can be rude and not so helpful. So over all i'd really like to give this place a 2.5 a little bit shy of average for a east coast ski resort if this resort was out west I would give it a zero. Take my advise tho save a little extra money and go to Snowshoe mountain in WV, or go to colorado and go ski, It's not too expensive I bought my lift ticket for copper mountain, for $86 bucks for day skiing and $30 for some demo rentals and the terrain is all powder mostly and tree skiing way better terrain parks, and lifts are super fast and some seat 6 people. Ski beech is 95acres and copper is 2400 acres somethin with 22 lifts. Total for me an two friends driving there and skiing was only like 300 bucks. Park city is awesome too. But listen go farther north or go out west you won't regret it! and advoid waisting your time at these cheaply ran resorts. I won't be back after this experience. Ps: if you've never been out west be prepared the trails are much steeper the greens are easliy compared to the east coasts blues and some even blacks. And the blues out there are forsure like the blacks out here or double blacks with powder. If you can ski on ice you can ski anywhere. Good luck hope this review helped, save and go farther where your money will be better spent.

High Point, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Very Frustrating...Next Time I Ski in NC, I'm Going Back To Sugar!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've tried to like Ski Beech Resort, and have given it several chances (several too many), but I will be sticking to Sugar in the future when skiing in NC.

Here are just a few reasons:

1) Main lift was broken making for...
2) Long Lines
3) Rental Equipment is HORRIBLE. After I turned down three pairs of skis and poles for my daughter (cracked, delaminated, bent poles, etc.), they finally found skis that at least looked ok. After our first run,the binding on her right ski fell off! I'm glad she was not hurt. When I went to the trouble of taking my daugther's skis and mine off (granted, one of hers was already off from the broken binding!), trudging down the steep stairs to the rental shop, one of the workers said "how'd you break the ski?!" This comment did not help my Ski Beech Experience.
4) Unhelpful Staff
5) Overpriced Everything

Don't make the same mistake(s) I did. Go to Sugar, or possibly App instead.

NC
4 attraction reviews
“Ski school experience-terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Today was our kids 2 nd time skiing. Last week we did a day trip to Sugar(great experience).

The ski school at beech is so unorganized it took us 2 hours to get all 3 kids on the slope. We were thankful that they even got out. Many folks waited in line 45 mins only to have some guy come out and announce there was no more room in several age groups. Only one person was checking in students.
My husband and older son didn't do ski school but had to endure crazy lines for lift tickets and ski rental since only line was open for each:-/. The only saving grace was that the instructor was great and our kids learned a lot and had fun!

Tally Town
“Our Annual Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our family, with several other families, are now going to Beech Mtn. annually. This year it was 7 adults and 10 kids aged 5-11. We plan to continue the tradition due mainly to Beech's amazing hospitality. I lived in Colorado and have been skiing for many years at Copper, Winter Park, A-Basin, and elsewhere. A NC trip was a tough sell from the other parents to get me to come initially. For me Beech Mtn. seemed tiny, the snow machines are obnoxious (but necessary-understandably), the weather is fickle, there's no NC brews on tap... but we love it! We come back because it is hard to have a bad time with all of the staff trying so hard.

For us one thing in particular stands out this year, my daughter's transition to really enjoying skiing. Her instructor this year was the most crucial factor. Chandler is an excellent ski coach! He pushed those kids in a way that benefited them the best. They were given solid instruction and then were challenged, with a goal to get onto the mountain. The following day she wanted to ski with me the whole day. Her confidence was bolstered and we hit the blues. She did great, and we had a blast.

No lines, plenty of snow - even powder left at midday. Granted, we have always been lucky with the weather. The second day we were in some slush. The kids still had fun!

Cleveland, Tennessee
59 attraction reviews
“Excellent Family Skiing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Wonderful trip. We are a family of novice to intermediate skiers and the place was perfect. Just the right size to let the kids think they were skiing on their own. Friendly staff, great rates. Enough options on the slopes to push the kids and keep them challenged. This is just the right place to groom beginner to enjoy the sport and not get frustrated. Great for 60 year old novices and the 10 year old intermediates.