“This is a must do!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Chemuyil
Type: Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Jungle Place is a licensed sanctuary for the endangered Spider Monkey. They rescue and rehabilitate orphaned monkeys who were victims of the illegal pet trade, poaching, habitat destruction and exploitation. All too often these beautiful, highly intelligent primates become victims when humans and nature collide in a natural paradise like The Riviera Maya. The in-person tours they offer to help support the sanctuary are the very definition of sustainable and ecologically responsible tourism.The owners, Heidi and Joel, are a wonderful couple who originally moved to the area to retire but instead devoted their lives to care for these rescued monkeys. They provide them with an incredible amount of love, individual attention, medical care and specialized diets, all within a beautiful and meticulously well-kept habitat right in their native jungle.Visit in-person to meet the owners and the monkeys, view the facilities and habitat, and see first-hand the level of care that your donation helps provide. Be sure to reserve your tour well in advance, as they allow only a very limited number of visits per week.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Wilmington, Delaware
14 attraction reviews
“This is a must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I visited the Jungle Place on September 28th and it was a once in a lifetime experience. The owners are very friendly and are eager to teach you about the life of a spider monkey. The whole environment is very relaxed. You go in and sit in a room with the monkeys and feed them little snacks. The monkeys are very friendly and will climb all over you. It is very hard to get in as they only do tours 2 days a week so if this is something you want to do, then make the reservation before you go on your vacation. I cannot express how much fun I had here, if I ever go back to Playa Del Carmen I will be doing this again for sure!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Basildon, England, United Kingdom
“AMAZING EXPERINCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was a brilliant experince, myself and my boyfriend absoloutly loved every minute of it, and would highly reccomend it to anyone thats visiting mexico, staying around the area. heidi and her husband was very welcoming and the booking of this was soo straight forward. this was by far one of the best things weve done.

Edmonton, Canada
“Monkey Play!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We rented a car to get to the location, it's very remote. Driving in Mexico was interesting... However, once we were there and saw the beautiful monkeys we were so glad we reasearched this and contacted Heidi to visit. They are very caring about their monkeys and shared their home. This was an experience we will never forget. A MUST DO when in Playa!!! :)

Calgary
“Coolest experience of our life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I went to Mexico on our honeymoon, a month or so before we left I was googling things to do in Mexico since it was both our first time there. I stumbled across The Jungle Place and both being animal lovers thought that it would be a great idea. I immediately emailed Heidi since I seen on the website to book ASAP. I recieved and email shortly after saying she had room for us when we would be there. I Paid my deposit usuing paypal, it was the first time I used it, and was surprised with how easy it was. Our visit was booked on our second to last day of our trip, when the day came we rented a car from our resort and made the drive, the directions were a little confusing but we had brough a cell phone and surprisingly enough i could pull up Google Maps and it showed us exactly how to get there! Once we were there, it was a short wait while the owners went through what we could expect and made sure we had all our valubles off our bodies so the lil monkeys wouldn't steal them (they are wild animals afterall!) we went in to play with the monkeys and there was about 8 (they have over 20 - but understandably not all of them could come out and play) they were the most amazing creatures i have ever got the chance to hang out with. They were energetic and Heidi kept tossing in snacks for them so we got to feed them, they eat right out of your hands and are so gentle and sweet. Being that they are wild animals, i was a little nervous at first because I didn't know what to expect, but honestly once you get in there its just amazing. By far the most amazing thing you can do in Mexico. A definate must if you are in there area.

Peterborough, Canada
“Amazing place! Amazing owners!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I visited The Jungle Place on a recent trip to the mayan riviera. It was hands down the best excursion we have experienced. Heidi and Joel are selfless wonderful people who share their home and their monkeys while educating about the monkey trade indusrty they allow you to have a chance of a lifetime experience with their beautiful spider monkeys. If you love animals thn this one is for you. The world would be a better place if more people felt the way they do about animals. Truely amazing and we will def go back if we visit the mayan again. Very easy to find, very welcoming, private and inexpensive. 80 USD per person for an opertunity like no other. Thank you so much for the chance to mett your monkeys :)