“Enjoyed our stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Highway 105, between Boone and Banner Elk, Banner Elk, NC 28604   |
Glennville, Georgia
“Enjoyed our stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Wife and I visited in September during a Miata meet. Rooms are dated but very adequate. We consider the rates we paid a very good value. Property appeared to be very well-maintained. The unit we stayed in had no smoke smell.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The positives, the staff members were some of nicest ladies I have ever met. I made the reservations and somehow missed that smoking was allowed in all rooms. Prior to arriving, I called and found out my mistake. The staff put a filter in my room ahead of my arrival. My husband and I decided to try one night at least of the week. Smoking is not allowed in any common areas, but could smell a little at doorways and inside the halls. Our room was smoke free and odor free.
The place is old and needs updating and maybe even rebuilding. The room was very tiny, and not enough space to put a weeks full of clothing for two. Our room was very dark. It was on the west and down low against a mountain so no sun ever came into the room.
The A/C was noisy(room a/c) and really old. The frig/freezer was small and froze everything we put in it. NO WiFI in the room, old style TV. The lodge area had nice size TV and great WIFI. Originally built for guest interaction. The lodge common area was huge and had tables and areas to play board games, puzzles etc. Definitely, pre internet age.
The parking lot was full and the place was quiet but you could hear people walking above you and in hallways. One night a child was running up and down the halls rather late, but did not continue for long. We only slept here. We had a quick breakfast in the room and headed to the mountains for hiking everyday. The foliage and mountain trails and waterfalls are breathtaking. Sleeping in the room was comfy enough, but trying to move around two of us in the room was difficult. I would not choose to come back here especially since I am very sensitive to smoke, but the staff does an excellent job of trying to make you happy, Kudos to them. The place itself needs a big makeover.

Room Tip: I don't know how many choices there are, but the studio is too small for two people to manuever...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mooresville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

There were mixed reviews on Tripadvisor but I thought a lodge would be a fun experience for my family. We pulled up and the first thing we saw was the air conditioning units with mold on the outside. I went in and the musty smell was rather unpleasant. I went to the desk and stated that we did not want to stay there despite having a reservation. The teenage girl behind the counter shrugged her shoulders and handed me the paperwork. I thought that it had to get better and in order to see the room I had to sign the paperwork, so I did. I went into the room and again it smelled musty but the pull out couch had stains and left over clumps of what we can only assume was bodily fluids on both sides of the cushoins, the bathroom had leftover soap in the shower along with the hair of the previous guests, the bed in the bedroom smelled of sulfur (rotten eggs). I took me kids to see where the pool was. It was down the hall, down 3 + flights of stairs and down another hall. To say it was inconvenient is an understatement. We decided that there was no way that our family could stay in such a filthy environment so I went to the front desk again and stated that we could not stay there due to the filthy room. The woman behind the desk looked at me and said "...have you used anything?" No. We had been there less than 30 minutes at that point. I handed her the keys and again stated that there was no way that my family could stay there. She also shrugged her shoulders and took the keys. There was no offer of assistance in any way at all. I would never stay in this place nor would I ever recommend this place to ANYONE.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else other than this place.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wadmalaw Island, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

When I first drove up to Smoketree, I thought "Oh no" because it looks rather run down. However, the room is clean with no smell of smoke (ask them to put the ozone machine in the room prior to your arrival). This is not a fancy place by any means. However, it was adequate because I was out hiking or doing other activities and only spent the evening hours in the room. I think that it would help if the place was powerwashed on the outside. The location is prime though being near Banner Elk and Boone with so many attractions in the area.

Room Tip: You will need to ask for a mountain view room which is on the front side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our three-night stay at this inn was very nice. The room was fine, although the furnishings were a little dated and worn. The atmosphere was quite nice - with beautiful water elements behind the reception area and a wooded area just above the parking lot. The pool, hot tub, and sauna were ok too. This is a good place to stay for events at Grandfather Mountain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Condo very clean....Staff very very helpful....View of Grandfather Mountain spectacular.
Resort has indoor pool,hot tub and sauna and exercise room.

Location the best close to Linville Falls, Boone and Blowing Rock.

Room Tip: One and two bedroom units. All have a kitchen
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you are athletic this is the place for you. Lots of stairs! If you want a timeshare, owners are giving their unit away for free as long as you pay the annual maintenance fee as well as the weekly $78 housekeeping fee. It's rustic, 70s decor but clean and the hiking behind the lodge is DIVINE! We had 2 units so small we took our food to the arcade room so all 8 or us could eat together. Staff are very nice especially the housekeepers, everyone moves in slow motion but things get done. Big screen in lobby you can watch movies with three couches, you can live in your pajamas here when not skiing sugar mountain.Winter time you MUST snow tube in JONAS. Ages 4 to 70 were there tubing not crowded and had the times of our lives, please go..

Room Tip: Ask for a room with full kitchen.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!