“What a wonderful way to celebrate our 40th anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Ridge Village

Save Saved
You added Blue Ridge Village to your Saves list
Blue Ridge Village
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   3781 Tynecastle Highway, Rt 1 Hwy 184, Banner Elk, NC 28604   |
Penn Yan, New York, United States
“What a wonderful way to celebrate our 40th anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by our condo. The rooms were large, the kitchen well stocked and the furniture was very comfortable. It was so much nicer than we expected. We hope to stay there again. The staff were really friendly and had answers to all of our questions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

150 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
south boston va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My sister, two nieces ages 7 and 10 and myself just returned from a 3 night stay 4/19/13 thru 4/22/13. Upon our arrival the check-in was quick (approx. 5 minutes). We stayed in a 3br/2ba unit. It was very spacious. We were in an end unit facing the pond. It was very private and quiet. The condo was stocked with all the needed supplies. The location is ideal as there is a Food Lion down the road if any additional supplies/items are needed. Most of the area attractions are a short drive away. We visited Linville Falls, Blowing Rock, Mast General Store and downtown Boone during our stay. My only regret was our stay was not long enough to take advantage of all of the resort amenities. The grounds are well appointed. The resort would be good location for a family gathering as they have a pond, children's playground and a area for a cookout/barbecue. I plan to return in the fall for a 7 day stay when the weather is warmer so I can take advantage of the onsite amenities. Overall it was a wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: Ask for a unit with a view of the pond
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
cheyenne,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were 3 adults, taking our daughter back to college. We were a II exchange, we exchanged 2brm gold;;we told them we would agree if they would add that if 2brm became available we would be eligible for upgrade. Reception said no note was placed at our reservation indicating we wanted an upgrade. We ended up with 1brm, 1bath for 1 wk. ;the bedroom was just inside the front door, so as other guests ran their suitcases over the wooden deck it kept us awake, & it seemed guests were in & out every day, very early. The pull out sofa was merely 3 inch pad, & when the bed was out, it took all the space in living room. Kitchen was well stocked with pots, pans & dishes; washer & dryer was in bathroom. The shower was combination deep soaking tub. We were on 3rd floor & no elevators anywhere we could see. Walls paper thin, on both sides, & shook when other guests slammed their from doors.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I took our 8 year old and a friend to stay for 3 nights. They LOVED the indoor pool (too cold to play outdoors). We stayed in a two bedroom unit. The only negatives were that the master bed/bath was upstairs & I kept loosing Internet connection. On the plus side, the unit was clean and the staff was super friendly & helpful. Can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed April 2013
Kenansville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Blue Ridge Village and really enjoyed our stay! We were in a 2BR/2BA and had lots of room. There was only 3 of us but our unit could have easily slept 8 as there was a king bed in the master, 2 doubles in the 2nd BR, and a queen sleeper sofa in the living room. We were in building 11 in unit A so we were in an end unit. We did hear people using the steps (they were right outside our room) but never heard any of the noises(sneezes, hair dryers, talking, etc.) other reviewers reported. May be a difference from building to building(I've stayed in Building 8,5 and 11). We did hear overhead noise in building 8 when we stayed last summer. The night we checked in it snowed. And it continued to snow off and on(flurries) for the next 2 days. The roads out of the resort were well maintained so we were able to get out and do some sightseeing. The living room has a gas fireplace and we used it a lot. We weren't sure how to use it at first but looked in the resort info book in our room and it instructed us how to use it. The internet has improved since my first visit but still is a little slow.
Check in and check out was super quick and everyone is always so helpful. They give wonderful recommendations on places to eat, places to visit, etc. We will be returning again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We are here for a week and absolutely are having a great time! The unit is so beautiful and large. Everything you need is here! Food Lion is right down the street as well as every kind of dining you desire. Skiing within a few miles- we are going to Sugar mountain for skiing/snowboarding tonight. Went swimming last night at 11:00 pm and my son had a blast!
I will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed March 2013
Cary, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm in Day 1 of my seven day stay here. I exchanged into this property using a week I banked from another resort. I hope to use this week as a quiet week to get some fun work/research done and see the surrounding area.

Pro's
The unit was very clean when I checked in. It is a very nice looking unit (1 bedroom) and has a picturesque view onto the lake on the property. I like the small balcony it has as well. The bathroom has a very large jacuzzi tub that should be able to fit a couple in cozy relaxation. The bed is quite comfortable (firm) although I wish the pillows were firmer (personal preference). It has a large flat screen TV in both the living area and in the bedroom. A very nice bonus is that it is located less then a quarter mile from a Food Lion and restaurants so food and groceries are readily at hand. It is also a very short drive from the town of Banner Elk itself and I'll be going exploring there soon. Despite what it says on their website and in their printed material there is free Wi-Fi in the rooms which is nice.

Cons
I wish I had read N G's review prior to booking. I agree with their assessment about the walls. They truly are paper thin. I guess I'm a little spoiled gong to timeshares in the Carribean where they build their units to withstand Hurricanes. I'm unlucky enough this week to be in a center unit with a couple with children on both sides of me. The unit to my right has a child in it who is a budding track star, or so I assume given how often he runs up and down the hallway. The building seems to amplify all sounds made in each unit and if someone is a heavy walker (you know who you are...) you can literally feel their footsteps. I woke up this morning to the mumbled conversation of the couple to my left. I could almost make out their conversation which was at normal speaking voice. You get the picture. Very noisy room. Another con is the fireplace. It is quite attractive and inviting. I hope to figure out sometime this week how to turn the darn thing on. There are two knobs and three button/switches. I've pushed and twisted them all to no effect. Finally, my last frustration with this unit is similar to my experiences in most timeshares and hotels so perhaps I just have misplaced expectations. The Wi-Fi is quite slow. I had hoped to be able to stream some netflix movies while here so I didn't bring along any DVD's (they have a DVD player in the living area). Well, that's not happening. I tested the download speed last night and it topped out at about 197K, which is not nearly fast enough for streaming video. I ended up streaming Pandora for music and even Pandora complained about the bandwidth to the point that I went ahead and switched the wifi off and just used my iPad's 3G connection instead. This morning I can report that the Wi-Fi connection was up to about 1.1M so the issue is simply routing everyone through the same (small) pipe, which is what I've seen at most resorts. But it is definitely going to hamper my enjoyment of the property.

I'm going to check out the heated, indoor pool this week and the fitness center. I may write another review at the end of my trip if I discover more Pro's/Con's worth mentioning. I'm writing this so early because the Con's so far have me pretty frustrated. If the rooms were quiet I would probably rate the resort a 4 but it loses so many points due to the noise issues with your neighbors.

Room Tip: Ask for an end unit so you only have at most one unit bordering you. I also recommend asking for a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Blue Ridge Village? Share your experiences!