“Paper thin walls” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Ridge Village

You added Blue Ridge Village to your Saves list
Blue Ridge Village
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   3781 Tynecastle Highway, Rt 1 Hwy 184, Banner Elk, NC 28604   |
NC
“Paper thin walls”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've stayed at this place twice. Both times we were in a renovated condo, which is great. There were very few people around the first time so did not notice the noise that much. The last time was much more crowded and not ideal. The walls are paper thin which means you can hear your neighbors sneeze, cough, laugh, talking, walking (or thundering down the halls is more like it), and flushing the toilet.

The grounds are nice and great location in Banner Elk but to me it is not worth the money for poorly insulated walls. It is comparable to being in the same room as your neighbors.

The time share presentation is not ideal and is hard to avoid without being forced to pay additional fees.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

I never write reviews but for this one it was a must!!! This is a fantastic resort!! Must stay in superior room as they are absolutely gorgeous with everything you can imagine....even a washer and dryer!! And the staff was just a joy. Really friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here again when we go back to the mountains for skiing this winter.

• Stayed May 2012
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had a terrible experience.

I purchased a 3 day weekend from a sales agent that called me. I paid $200 -- the same price as they were advertising on Groupon at the time (I figured purchasing directly from them would mean they keep more of the money, ie better for the resort).

What a mistake.

After booking they called me and asked me to attend a sales presentation. I said I'd try.

We went hiking that day, got a little lost, and didn't make it back in time for the sales presentation.

The minute I got home, another sales rep called me up and said they were charging my credit card $250 for not attending the presentation! What a scam. I was never made aware of the charge and would never have agreed to it. Unreal. I mean, what if you got sick, or someone in your family got sick, or a family member died, or you had a car accident that day, or even couldn't make it up that weekend (work, weather, for any reason)? Completely unreasonable, especially given that I had paid full market price for the weekend (ie it wasn't free and the money was non-refundable -- I was told that on the phone).

So, buyer beware, Festiva simply isn't trustworthy.

I would strictly avoid giving them your credit card -- buy through groupon, expedia or any online site if you simply have to deal with Festiva.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated condo (they are actually pretty nice inside, but the walls are paper thin -- I c...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Bought a Groupon for a two bedroom Superior room. Great value, beautiful place. I believe the condo was newly renovated and the decor was very nice. The condo was quite large and had room to spare. Resort was quiet and had wonderful amenities like an indoor pool, tennis courts, pond with paddle boats, basketball "court", etc. Would definitely stay there again if we were in the area. Only reason they didn't get 5 stars was the check-in and check-out process could have been smoother. We had booked over a month in advance for Memorial Day weekend and when I tried to check in upon arrival I was told they had no record of my reservation. I was almost turned away and they were fully booked! Only after showing my confirmation email AND insisting that I had a reservation did the receptionist finally find my reservation, claiming it was a glitch in the system. Check out went fine except that the receptionist was on the phone while helping me and wasn't the most helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room. We were on the middle floor and you could definitely hear thumping up and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Shallotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stay at this resort year after year and sometimes like this year will spend four weeks there. I couldn't imagine a nicer place to stay. The condo's are beautiful and the resort itself has most everything you could ask for and is very well maintained. Also is convenient to shopping, grocery store, and major ski attractions and Grand Father Mountain.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Barberton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Bought a Groupon certificate for this place and didn't really have high expectations...boy was I impressed when we arrived! The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was very comfortable and homey. It was very central to local attractions. Would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Greer, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Quite clean and comfortable. I traveled with 3 small children ages 3 and under. The room met all of our needs, safe and clean. (I do wish the children's bedroom was not down stairs while we were upstairs, but it worked out. The resort provided many activities; paddle boats, pool, mini golf. These kept out children busy, without requiring us to shell out additional money.

Room Tip: Request an updated room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Blue Ridge Village? Share your experiences!