“Sugar gets skiing right” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 19 things to do in Banner Elk
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: Big-mountain ski resort area featuring a 1,200-foot vertical drop and ski runs of one-and-one-half miles.
North Carolina
50 attraction reviews
“Sugar gets skiing right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Continuous snwomaking to build up the coverage, great customer service, good ski rentals all made for a fun day of skiing. Like most ski resorts, weekdays are the best deal; no crowds, no lines, no stress. Also like most resorts, food bought on site is crazy expensive; bring your lunch, snacks and drinks - save a bundle! Only thing we found odd was the requirement to have your lift ticket bar code read every time you board the lift.

Danville, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Great Way to Have Some Fun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I built our weekend trip to Blowing Rock around the idea that we wanted to do some snow tubing. Our first choice was nearby Hawksnest but whatever reason we decided on Sugar Mountain. Both were relativity close and were the same price - $25 for 2 hours. This being President's Day there was a lot of people at the resort and not really a lot of snow. After parking and taking a bus ride up to the entrance, we were confused as to where to go for the snow tubing. My girlfriend stood in line while I ventured around until finally I had to ask an employee and was told to walk 100 yards in the opposite direction. The bus ride we took was pointless. We could've just walked from where we parked.

At first there was a long line to purchase passes for tubing and there was a crowd at the top of the tubing lanes. This was because of the staff giving instructions before the session began. The conveyor belt that takes you from the bottom to the top is an excellent idea and was my first time experiencing something like that (I’m use to having to walk back up to where I started). It was a beautiful day and we dressed in way too many layers. By the third time down we were taking layers off. Towards the end of the 2-hour session the crowd had started to thin out. 2 hours doesn’t seem like enough time to go tubing but you definitely get your money’s worth. I wish the lanes had some bumps or turns to them instead of them just being straight all the way down.

Charlotte, North Carolina
22 attraction reviews
“Polar bear ski/snowboard day club”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went to sugar mountain a long WE of 4days, feb 14-18. We did not regret renting a chalet at the bottom of the slopes close to registration. ( Even if a bit run down, it was convenient and so nice to be able to stop for lunch especially as it was freezing on Sunday).Full day ticket are only available starting 8pm as well as next day ski rental. And you can't just take a single multiple day slope access ticket: what a waste of time. Also you can not just get a morning half day. Only afternoon at 12pm for a session of 12:30 to 4:30 pm. Then they close until 6pm-10pm twilight session. The ski club had trouble with the crowd and they started the first day at 10:45 iso 10... At 132 dollars the day for snowboard and 85 for ski including a hot dog lunch and the equipment. The last day I opted for a 2h private lesson with the coach ( Aaron) who was really great and my son had a good time. Only issue is that you need to book your snowboard rental prior to booking the lessons. Which means at 8pm for the next day and the. You have to wait 8am opening to book the lesson that can start earliest at 9am when slopes are open. There aren't too many slopes and it seems there are many beginners: dangerous from time to time but no one was hurt. Overall it was a good week end, 3h from Charlotte, but it might be worth driving a little further... I really hated having to go each day retrieve new slope tickets.

Greenville, SC
“Do NOT rent from Sugar Mountain Accomodations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have visited Sugar Mtn every year for the past 10 years. Lets face it, it isn't a great place to ski, but if you live in SC and don't want to fly or drive all day, it will do. The choices among rental companies are few and I would urge you NOT to rent from Dereka's Sugar Mtn Accomodations. After a mistake on their part, the owner of the company told me it was my fault, used foul language, and hung up on me. I really don't know how she stays in business. If you want to deal with the craziest, meanest person ever, call Dereka.

Fort Mill, South Carolina
18 attraction reviews
“First Family Ski Trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Well, our first ski trip was a success. Here's a tip: definitely go day/night before to get all signed up and geared up for next day. Thursday's night skiing was empty!!!! No lines at all for anything. Yes, the employees in rental department were rude, rude, rude. Specifically the ski rentals. To the point where I wish I was their boss and could fire them. The guys handling the rental of snowboards were pretty cool. The staff in the ski school area were nice and helpful. We signed our kids up for Friday on Thursday night. We also put our boys in a private snowboarding lesson Thursday night since it was their first time ever.

Ski/snowboarding school, all day on Friday went well with kids. Instructors were nice. Small groups. Kids had a good time.

Friday did get really crowded around lunch time. Since we already had our rental equipment we were able to get on slopes early. The ski rental line in morning was insane!!!! Don't do it. If you stayed away from the beginner slopes the crowds weren't terrible. But there were lots of beginners and children. I would not recommend Sugar for advanced skiers merely due to the large crowds of beginners. You could stay on the blacks at the top all day but it's only 3 short runs that turn into blue to get to lift. There were plenty of people on the blues that were beginners probably because the greens were so crowded. When more people rent equipment then own you know what type of skiers are out there.

Equipment was ok. Skis were banged up, boots uncomfortable. But it was expected so no shock there. We're going to buy equipment end of season. It's worth it to avoid bad equipment, rude employees and lines. This was my first rental experience. Hopefully never again.

All in all, first experience skiing in the southeast. Anxious to try other resorts to compare. Avoid weekends and holidays. Or go night skiing. Ignore rude employees. And enjoy just being out there. The views are pretty at the top!!!! No matter the circumstances, a day skiing is better then not skiing.