“Great staff, horses and scenery” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 19 things to do in Banner Elk
Activities: Horseback riding
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided horse-tours for all ages with spectacular views of Grandfather Mountain.
Huntersville, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
“Great staff, horses and scenery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Maybe a little surprised when you pull up, but the ride was excellent and highly recommend it.

Visited November 2011

Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“Beware of the Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND OWNERS!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Went to check out the place and found a pack of 10-12 dogs to greet me. Wasn't worried about the amount of dogs because i am a dog lover myself. What concerns me is the fact that they jumped all over my car and the passenger side with scratches all over. The owner refused to do anything about it saying they aren't hers. But looking at other reviews i can see they are. I can only say that if this is how the owners treat their clients when their dogs do something wrong BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! what would they do if one of their horses hurt someone. Just not used to owners of a business not taking care of business. The place looks like a dump but, when the owners act the way they did what did i expect. If you go please make sure your insurance will cover you because the owners of this establishment will not!!!!

Visited October 2011
“Worst place ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The place is a dum, run buy people that only care about monet not customers or animals

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Phenomenal experience: beautiful setting, lovely horses, wonderful people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My family visited Banner Elk Stables during the second week of July. The stable and trail is in a beautiful location with great views of Seven Devils Mountain and Grandfather Mountain. The barn itself is charmingly shabby; this is no luxury stable but a rustic high country barn. The horses are obviously well loved and cared for. They are all well fed and extremely clean. Unlike some stables where you feel sorry for the skinny, lifeless horses, these horses seemed quite content. My wife was touched by the care our guide took as she encouraged an elderly horse ("Apple," aged 40) that was hanging out around the grassy pond area to come inside the barn "for a snack and a nap" before everyone went out on the trail.

My wife and our three children (ages 7, 13, and 16) had never ridden a horse before and I have only ridden a little so we are quite inexperienced. Our youngest was nervous, but our guide kept her horse on a rope for the entire ride and she was smiling and laughing after only 5 minutes. The horses are well trained and very calm. All we had to do was occasionally discourage our horses from eating along the trail. Our guide, Laura, was very patient and friendly. We felt very safe and were quite amused at how the horses would respond when she called them if they stopped to look around for a moment. There is a church nearby and we could hear the bells ringing as we rode along; we were not ready for our ride to end! Back at the barn, another girl met our group at the gate to help us off our horses, and we were able to feed our horses the carrots we had brought after they drank water.

We had a wonderful time and will definitely be returning on our next vacation! Our kids are calling it "the magic stable," an accurate description!

Visited July 2011
4 attraction reviews
“Disappointed with customer service and suggest a nicer farm close by”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Please understand the final outcome was the disappointing factor of this facility. My children and I went for a trail ride on July 4th while my husband waited for us. We started out on the ride with a guide who was ok. Not full of life so to speak and I was a bit nervous so I didn't strike up a lot of conversation. About 10 minutes into the ride it started to sprinkle. The guide asked me if we wanted to turn around. I told him sprinkles of rain were fine but not thunder and lightning. He thought it would blow over so we kept on and caught up with another group ahead. We continued a bit then it really started raining hard then lightning - scared the horses of course and us. I asked if we were close and he said half way -yikes. We went into a barn to take cover since horses have metal shoes and with lightning, that doesn't mix. In the meantime the horses took off to the barn (poor things plus we weren't going to ride them back) and were picked up by the owners by vehicles. When we got back to the stables my husband asked about any type of refund and this is what made us disappointed...the smart remark when the guide said "I asked her if she wanted to go back and we went half way" my husband asked if he would consider giving us half back since we went half way...no, only half credit for the next day. No thank you after that experience. That was nowhere the cost of a rafting trip wherein the same day all participants got 100% of their money back and food and drinks at no charge. When asked why Edge of the World does that -that's how we roll and our policy - the views are beautiful but just wish the staff would have had better service. Visit Valley Crucis Stables instead. Amazing staff, beautiful new farm with many different animals and play area for kids. Highly recommended !