“It's like most other Mexican restaurants” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Douglasville, Georgia
“It's like most other Mexican restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

To me, this restaurant was just like many other Mexican eateries. The food was pretty good, with fair atmosphere. The margarita's were excellent. I'd go back.

Visited February 2014

Saint Augustine, Florida
“Worse than Taco Bell!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Wow! What can I say about this place. First of all, i'm Latin American and I know Mexican food since i cook it all the time and have been to many Mexican Restaurants in the country but this place was no where near authentic. There enchilada sauce is marinara sauce... really! You can get enchilada sauce in a can and it will still taste authentic lol. The server was rude at first when I asked him if they had some authentic Mexican food. He said if I wanted authentic i should have ordered something else and said that he would never eat the combinations even if he was in jail. He was quick to leave the table before I was done ordering and when he brought the food he didn't ask us if we needed anything else. I had to call him back as he was walking away every time to ask for things... like the rest of my order and hot sauce. Anyways... I got a combination of burrito, enchilada, and taco, and my fiance got chilaquiles which both had to be taken back because it had MARINARA sauce on it. I asked if there was anything he would eat and he said the carnitas was good so we shared a plate of that, and he was right they were very good and plenty enough for the both of us. This place is sad... the waiter said they make the food like that because its what the "white" people like but if they made authentic Mexican food im sure they would like it to. I cant believe people say this place is "amazing"!

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
I get around
“Great bar and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed up at the Highlands at Sugar and came down here for food a couple of nights. It was so good we came back twice. Great beer list, my wife loved the margaritas.

Visited January 2014
“Best Mexican I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

If you love Mexican, you'll definitely want to make plans to include this restaurant on your meal itinerary when in the Banner Elk/Boone area. The restaurant is beautiful, the service (Shout out to Ricardo!) and the food are amazing and the prices were just right. My husband and I love what we call Fajitas over Rice. It's a bed of rice with the fajita chicken and veggies on top covered in cheese dip. We both asked for that and I can't remember how many times I told my husband that it was the best I'd ever had. Eat here - you'll regret it if you don't!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“You won't be disappointed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I have never been to Banner Elk and hadn't read any reviews before arriving at Puerto
Nuevo. I wasn't expecting anything more than your average Mexican food, but was pleasantly surprised at the variety and flavor of the food. Our favorite dish was a hearty serving of delicious, fresh made guacamole. (Be aware that it is a $6 item plus tip for the lady who makes it in front of you.) I ordered the choripollo and have never tasted anything so delicious. We sat near a large fireplace which provided a charming setting. This place got our trip started right! Anyone who is disappointed with this restaurant is way too hard to please.