My husband and I went here for a quick weekend getaway...just a small drive from where we live in Asheville. We were greeted with extremely friendly, down-home service. We asked for a bottle of champagne upon our arrival which was good and chilled by the time we got to our room. We ate dinner here both evenings, and while it is a small menu, we enjoyed ourselves and were impressed with the beer selection especially. The dinner service was a little slow, but we did not mind...we were in no hurry. The property is close to the Mountains to Sea trail where we took a day hike before going into Sylva to walk around. Main gripes about this place were that the walls are VERY thin - you can hear everything going on in the rooms next to you. Also, it was pretty chilly in the whole place, but that's to be expected in an old, large building such as this one. Loved that there was no internet and no TV...just a perfect way to unplug and relax...no frills. Just what we needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Read, rest, ramble and romp at the Balsam Mountain Inn! Nestled among lofty Smoky Mountain peaks just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Balsam Mountain Inn was completed in 1908 to serve the highest railway depot in the east. Restored in 1991, the inn now welcomes travelers with 50 cheerful rooms, rocker-filled porches, a fine library and gracious dining. Plump pillows and soft comforters inspire pleasant dreams! In December, 2011, the Inn came once again to be owned by Merrily Teasley, the innkeeper who restored the structure two decades ago. An experienced rescuer of wonderful buildings, Teasley bought the derelict inn in 1990, and her certified rehabilitation effort helped the inn – already on the National Historic Register – experience a rebirth. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balsam Mountain Inn And Restaurant
- Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant Hotel Balsam