We knew what to expect going into our trip, that this place was a throw back to a different time. There were no phones or tv's but there is decent wi-fi. The room we stayed in (#203) was old, (the inn opened over 100 years ago) but the sheets and towels were clean and the bed was comfortable. We asked for a room with a claw foot tub and had a nice sized bathroom. The rooms were small and you could hear the neighbors, but we were barely in the room and turned on a sound machine app when we went to sleep which provided a good night's sleep.
We ate breakfast and dinner at the inn both days. The dinner was outstanding, we enjoyed all parts of it. I was surprised at how good and reasonably priced everything was. The steak was cooked perfectly and the selection of vegetables was fresh and delicious. I was not crazy about breakfast. It was good, but did not compare to dinner. We had eggs, bacon, fruit, and a small muffin, plus yogurt and cereal. We ate in the smaller dining room each day and it had a great atmosphere. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Overall, we had a nice weekend getaway and would return to the Balsam Mountain Inn again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Read, rest, ramble and romp at the Balsam Mountain Inn! Nestled among lofty Smoky Mountain peaks just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Balsam Mountain Inn was completed in 1908 to serve the highest railway depot in the east. Restored in 1991, the inn now welcomes travelers with 50 cheerful rooms, rocker-filled porches, a fine library and gracious dining. Plump pillows and soft comforters inspire pleasant dreams! In December, 2011, the Inn came once again to be owned by Merrily Teasley, the innkeeper who restored the structure two decades ago. An experienced rescuer of wonderful buildings, Teasley bought the derelict inn in 1990, and her certified rehabilitation effort helped the inn – already on the National Historic Register – experience a rebirth. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Venere and Hotels.com so you can book your Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant Hotel Balsam
- Balsam Mountain Inn And Restaurant