“Pool and tennis, good value” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Golf Courses, Sports
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bald Head Island Club is a private country club located centrally on Bald Head Island, North Carolina. There are three restaurants on site and various resort amenities. The golf course is a George Cobb-designed 18-hole course where the front nine winds its way through a maritime forest and lagoons, and the back nine plays along the Atlantic Ocean coastline. Additional amenities include: tennis courts, outdoor pool, fitness center, and croquet greens. Guest Memberships are available for visitors.
Raleigh, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
“Pool and tennis, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

At the end of the season the pool and tennis courts were nearly deserted. A couple of visits to the pool with the slide for the kids was a pleasant diversion - no life guard though - and the hard-courts were in good condition. The temporary membership was a worthwhile additional charge to the rental house.

Visited September 2013

Richmond, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
“Convenient break from the ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We purchased a temporary membership to the Bald Head Island Club and took advantage of the pool, the croquet, and the 2 restaurants. My wife and kids used the tennis and took lessons.

Our trip happened at the end of the season so we did not experience the crowds like I suspect the pool gets in high season. You do need to watch out for your own kids because there's no lifeguard on duty. The pool is pretty bland. The slide needs to be improved or removed.

Club staff were wonderful with the croquet. We had a great time there.

The formal restaurant has a great view of the driving range. Our meal was excellent as was the service. Suggestion for management: You include tip, which is fine (though it would be nice to inform diners on the menu that you do this). However we felt the service was better than 18% and had no way of adding tip. It would be nice to offer that for stellar service.

The lounge restaurant had the same menu, but was much more casual. My boys loved watching the TV's while eating.

My wife said the tennis instruction was very good and our boys had a great time with the instructors. They kept our kids fully engaged for the whole lesson- not easy to do!

Visited August 2013
Cary, North Carolina
“Pool too crowded - lifeguard chair empty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We recently purchased a temporary membership to the Bald Head Island Club, in order to have the use of a pool. I do not recommend doing this and we will not do it again. The pool was much too crowded. A number of very loud children throwing balls monopolized the pool every day of the week. I never actually saw a lifeguard in the lifeguard stand and the club makes no effort to implement or enforce any rules so all can enjoy the pool.

Visited July 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had an unfortunate incident at the pool, where the umbrella came out of the stand and my husband grabbed it, with a lot of black gunk all over his shirt which never came out. Waiting for them to call back so we can get reimbursed for it. Towels were wet at the pool(guard said at least they were clean), and lifeguard could care less about kids in pool, but was checking out her tan lines and talking with other employees.

Visited June 2013
Raleigh, NC
8 attraction reviews
“Great Amenities / Average Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were at BHI for a long weekend and picked up a temporary membership for 1 day. Though it seemed like the staff took quite a long time to get us in the system for a temporary membership (3 employees watching the 1 staff member at the computer), the price for the daily membership was worth it. We enjoyed our afternoon at the pool and my husband also used the fitness center.

Fitness Center - very clean and well-maintained equipment. The instructor on staff came over to introduce herself and let us know to reach out if she had any questions. There is a cardio room and there is also a weights room. Plenty of air conditioning and we were both comfortable to use some of the machines and get a workout in

Pool - well maintained and the lounge chairs are in good shape. Good sized pool and for those with kids, there is a water slide for a little bit of entertainment.

Peli - average to below average food. We were not impressed. With take out one night and then lunch on our pool day, we were disappointed each time. The pizzas were either not well-done enough or just not tasty. My chicken fingers had a bit of a taste of the old oil to fry them. Same with the french fries and onion rings.

Pool drinks - superb. We loved our mixed drinks and we should have gotten more! The pina colada was delicious and very well done. my husband has some general mixed/liquor drinks and they were good - not watered down etc

The Country Club restaurant - I forget the name of this reservations only restaurant. We had a nice dinner out that evening with reservations. We had a table near the windows looking out at the golf course and it was a pretty view to see the course and scenery. Our waiter was EXCELLENT. But our food was average or below average. We both thought our appetizer was average - the she crab soup bisque and the chopped salad. Then our entrees were SO disappointing. I had the chicken which said it was a breast but with a bone coming out of it, I think they gave me a thigh. It was ok but not something I enjoyed. The waiter had specifically asked my husband how we wanted his pork chop and he agreed upon medium. The pork chop that was served as well-done and did not have any juices to it. It was a disappointing meal. I think got the dessert of the homemade ice cream that the waiter raved about. It did not impress. The strawberry tasted like I expected but was nothing amazing. The butter pecan scoop was a disappointment. Of course, we enjoy being out together and enjoyed the environment but the food was lackluster.

Overall - go to this club if you want a temporary membership for your entertainment while at BHI. Swimming, tennis, fitness, golf etc. But get the pool food for convenience and then skip the fine dining. Cook at home and enjoy a meal on your deck!

Visited May 2013