“Pretty cool--but put your phone into airplane mode before you go there.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Fort Niagara

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nixa, Missouri
88 attraction reviews
“Pretty cool--but put your phone into airplane mode before you go there.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

The fort is really beautiful & well preserved, with some lovely displays that show how things would have looked during its use. We also had a "gun show" by a guide dressed in French uniform who fired off an old style rifle. Many of the exhibits have "talk boxes" that you can press that will tell you more about what you're seeing, which is nice.

However, just FYI...once I walked into the fort, my phone beeped at me to tell me "Welcome abroad!" and then listed off all of the international roaming/data fees that would be applicable if I took calls or got data notifications while I was there...we were so close to the border that it was picking up a Canadian cell tower. So if you don't have a Canadian international plan on your phone, make sure to switch your phone off while you're there so you don't incur any extra charges on your bill.

Visited November 2013

Angola on the Lake, New York, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Worth re-visiting again and again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I haven't been to the Fort since I was 10 years old! I finally made the trip yesterday! What a valuable jewel for the community. They have really preserved the Fort and have a lot of activities for adults and kids alike!

Visited October 2013
Lincoln Park
“Fort Niagra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Not far from the falls is a amazing part of history, Fort Niagra. It is a must see for history buffs or for any one that enjoys a amazing view of the water. It was a beautiful walk through the fort with lots to see around every turn.

Visited September 2013
Beach Park, Illinois, United States
8 attraction reviews
“Great place for history buffs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Traveling with a husband and son who are military history buffs, of course we went there. It was interesting to learn how it changed hands from French to British to U.S. So well-presevered, we could even go down into the underground bunkers, as well as all three floors of the French Castle. Because of that, there are a lot of steps. An older couple struggled a bit with the steps, and the lady commented to me that she was going to have to revise her bucket list when she got home. Wear comfortable shoes! We stayed longer than we intended.

Visited September 2013
Whitehall
“Historical preservation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

They've done such a great job of preserving this site, it's a must- see to those visiting the falls area. There are so many preserved artifacts, coupled with the presentations given by the period-clad staff, it's easy to envision what life was like when the fort was an integral part of our history.

Visited July 2013