“Grandma's Decline” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Lake Peekskill, NY
“Grandma's Decline”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This used to be a great place to have a meal. However, lately things have been amiss. The service is very hit or miss, usually miss. The food is still very good, although the portions seem smaller. The value, now that they no longer give you free pie at the end of your meal, is just average. The atmosphere has become increasingly drab. What a shame!

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

39% Recommend
“Not what it used to be....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Maybe grandma died ? Must have changed ownership.... Food not as good as it use to be, atmosphere is plain, pie display case was almost empty - sad considering Grandmas was well know for pies. They need a new dishwasher as well - I don't enjoy my beverage in a cloudy glass. Oh, service was good [--] we were the only table mid afternoon. I wont be back anytime soon.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Thornwood, NY
“Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have been going here for years for breakfast. I have overlooked many things I have found over the years i.e. lipstick on my coffee mug, egg shells in the omelet, and rock hard muffins. I draw the line today! To make a long story short I have a newborn baby and called to pick up a omelet with a bagel on the side. When I got home I ate the top half of my bagel. Being in a rush with the baby I went to eat the bottom and noticed mold in the center right before taking a bit. Thank god I saw that before eating. I called and they only offered me another bagel (ha!) or a discount of another meal. They lost me forever as a customer. Thanks for giving me mold that I ate!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Yonkers, New York
“Glad we came!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We made a trip up here just to come to Grandmas! We came for breakfast and had a lovely time. as soon as you step in the door it is truly like going to your Victorian grandma! the restaurant is a step back in time......I had the western omlet which was really good....the home fries were okay and the bacon okay....coffee good. my husband had same only with eggs over easy.....eggs cooked just right. our main interest though was purchasing a pie to bring home. it had been a long time since we had one and were really looking forward to it and it did not disappoint.....we purchased the blueberry and loved it....the crust was not like the pie crusts you get in most places, it was home made! and the blueberry filling was perfect......as soon as the weather is cooler we are going back for the chocolate cream pie.....I remember that being yummy! so, breakfast was good......pie was great!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
va
“have dessert first”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The breakfasts are pretty much ho-hum typical. Not bad, not exciting although they do have egg white options which is nice. The fresh fruit that comes with waffles and pancakes, such as blueberries, seems to be out of a can and re-heated by chef mike. But the actual pancakes, waffles, etc. are hot, fairly light, etc. Their coffee is a hearty but non-lethal blend that is salvation to all of us who despise the Sta*****ck bitterness that has overwhelmed flavor as the key to a good joe. Their breakfast sandwich - classic eggs, ham or bacon, on a hard roll - is a definite keeper and worth getting one for the road if you are heading out of town. I've been there for lunch and dinner in the past. Whatever entrees we ordered were competent but mostly unremarkable. Until you get to the desserts. My recommendation is to have a dessert for an appetizer, then have a dessert for the entree, then have a dessert for dessert, and then get one to take home with you for breakfast tomorrow. Their pies earn their three stars. Need I say more?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere