“Campy Cottages” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Danbury, Connecticut
“Campy Cottages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Value for a cottage with a kitchen and spare sleeping room was comparable to an average hotel room without extra space or a kitchen offered. The Location was remote, yet easy to find and easy to navigate around. The Staff was polite, respectful and available at, what seemed like, any hour to provide services requested. Uriah was informative upon check-in and offered to chauffer our baggage up to our cottage in the back. He brought us firewood for the nice little fire pit in front of the cabins, so we could enjoy a Campfire each night. The Babbling Brook could seem a little loud at times, after a few days of rain, but offered a calming effect that provided for a relaxing weekend, we know would not be experienced elsewhere. The Full Bedroom had an air conditioner that got the bedroom cold nicely, with the door closed, and was still able to cool down the whole cabin with the bedroom door open. It got cold during the night, but a small space heater was able to warm up the whole place rather quickly. The Pool was clean and much larger than we imagined, offering multiple depths. It was nice to do laps, hang around the shallow end, or tan by the poolside, in ample space with loungers provided. Yes, there were some bugs at night, but you're in the woods, by a brook, in the summer... it is to be expected; nothing a little spray and a campfire couldn't remedy. Overall, our experience was a pleasant one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Uriah is part of our new staff that we are very proud. We know you took a few minutes to leave the review and greatly appreciate it. Hope you return soon, we love to see familiar faces return.

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
North Arlington, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited some days ago while they were still working on the pool. The cottage was small and cold. As soon as we walked into the room, it smell like the place has been closed since long. There was a small portable heater in the room. The kitchen had dead moths on sides. The srcubbies were dirty and mouldy. We had to go and buy new things so that we could eat and clean. The sugar and other pouches looked so old. The bathroom was small and got easily filled with water on floor as soon as someone took a shower. I was dissapointed in the place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
So I noticed that you posted this before memorial day weekend, the pool officially opens on the holiday weekend. I'm sorry if you assumed otherwise but we would never had mislead anyone. I personally answer all the calls and was never alerted to anyone not happy with their room. The past few weeks we have been going through new cleaning crews until we have found the right ones (which this past week we have a great crew) so I apologize if anything was less than perfect for your stay. I'm not sure why you didn't call the desk and ask for scrubbers before purchasing any or saying anything so we might have had to opportunity to address the problem. We have a few new people as I have mentioned on our staff who have put many smiles on our guests faces. We had many campfires going this weekend and everyone we spoke to were happy and promised to return. Having you feel this is our goal. If you find yourself coming to the area again I would hope you decide to give us another opportunity. I would be happy to offer you a discount.
Queensbury, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here last summer with 2 teenage girls, a 4 year old son, and my husband. We had a 2 bedroom cottage that shared a "porch" with another cottage. Porch is kind, it's stairs with a bit of a landing with a table and chairs, and garbage can. Futon is in the kitchen area, but it's a large kitchen area with table and chairs, full size fridge, stove, sink and microwave. It reminded me of a hunting cabin my family had in the 80's when I was a kid. The bed was ok, not the most comfy but ok for 1 night. Bunk beds were actually more comfy, the girls had fun sleeping in their room, and my youngest had fun climbing on the beds. The playground was small but ok, watch for splinters and bugs, a lot of bugs due to everyone's garbage cans being out everywhere. The guy working the office had friends over who were all around the pool. Drinking beer, smoking, made my girls too uncomfortable to swim without us there with them. They were creepy, like letters sent home from school warning you about them kind of creepy. I felt like some people call this home long term, maybe because the county is paying the bill. We could not get out of here fast enough the next morning. When my girls are up and ready to run out the door at 8am on vacation, you know there is a problem. It wasn't overly filthy, like a Motel 6, it could be cleaner, but not horribly filthy. The pizza place next door had good food. You can walk through the trees and be right at the door. They actually said "Are you nice people staying next door?" I said yes we just got here, stopping over for a night before we go to our next stop on our vacation in Long Island. The worker said we were too nice and clean to be staying there, to lock our doors and watch our kids closely. I watch my kids closely, but, what? Yeah we locked our doors, ate our pizza, talked, played a bit then went to bed early so we could leave early. Even moved the kitchen table in front of the door to feel safer. We won't go there again. As far as the other reviews, what babbling brook, I didn't see one? We were close to the playground right in front of the parking area, maybe the brook was elsewhere?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I see that you stayed here last summer so I wonder if its possible your facts have been confused with another place. The cottage you described with a futon in the kitchen and bunk beds can only be Cottage #9 and that cottage is right on the brook if you look on our website at the map. I find it hard to believe it could be missed. It shares the large porch with 3 other cottages. All of our garbage cans are emptied as needed and covered. We exterminate monthly but you are in the country and outdoors and will experience a bug or two. As far as the people in the pool, they had to be guests as we do not have any reseidents here. Of course I cannot comment on if they were shady because we have so many people who stay here but if you didnt feel safe I would have loved the opportunity to change your room at the very least. As far as the people in the pizzaria, I find that story hard to believe since I am in there all the time. They are good friend of ours. We are a small town where everyone knows each other and we have never had any break ins or the need to feel unsafe. I have lived here for 9 years with my 2 cildren who are intheir teens now. I am sorry you felt that way and in the future please express your concerns with management while you are there so we have the opportunity to make your stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.
Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We chose the Valley Brook for two nights around the Dave Matthews Band at Bethel Woods. Though 26 or so miles away, this area of the Catskills is remarkably remote and Valley Brook simply looked like the best value, and more to our taste, than the few other options. It also is convenient to major roads. We were delighted. The cottage and porch were homey and pleasant, the two rooms were clean, and the kitchen was handy. Bathroom was small. But the highlight was two heavenly nights' sleep to the music of the babbling brook just outside our window, which we kept open all night. If you're looking for luxury, the Valley Brook is not for you. If you're looking for a lovely, rustic little home away from home, it's the ticket. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for your review, we look forward to your next stay and remember you don't need the concert as an excuse to get here, we have lots to offer in Sullivan County and its almost apple picking time =)
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Just stayed here overnight, as I went to a performance at "Stagedoor Manor", and was pleased with it. The website is very accurate. It is rustic- knotty pine walls etc., and definitely not like a typical hotel room, which I enjoyed. It is set off the road to give a country feel, a very beautiful area. The room was clean, and a comfortable bed. The owners were very friendly and helpful, including sending me the nightshirt that I forgot there, and no charge for the postage. That is one of the differences between a large chain hotel and a family owned place. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you for the review and kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back again soon.
Orange, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I decided to take a last minute trip to go to a concert at Bethel Woods, so I was able to get a room here. I was pleasantly surprised with the cottages! The cottage we stayed in was huge and really a great space. The price for the room wasn't too expensive. There are a few places to eat and a gas station in walking distance. It was a bit of a drive to Bethel Woods (about 25 minutes), but everything else about the cottage was worth it I would stay at Valley Brook again if I ever went back up to the area for another concert. The people working were very nice and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for the review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I would like to start this review by saying that the Valley Brook Inn is not entirely bad - depending on your expectations. I would summarize it by saying this - if you are used to Marriott (even Holiday Inn) lodging, and have those expectations, then you will be very disappointed. If you have traditional bungalow experience, or like a rustic camping experience, then Valley Brook will be perfect for you.

Pros:
- Donna, I believe the owner, is very helpful
- At first glance, during the day, the grounds look very quaint and there is a variety of activities including a pool, fire pits, a covered patio area, outdoor seating areas, a playground, basketball court, etc.
- The rooms were bug free, which is different than some of the reviews on here
- One of our team members was from the area and knew of some local gems for food including Danny's, Lunchbox Cafe, and even the custard stand across the street. Additionally, if you like antiquing, there are two great antique shops within walking distance.

Cons:
- We had five people in our party and they referred to the look of the place, in the evening, as the 'Bates Motel' referencing the setting of the movie, "Psycho"
- If you are not familiar with bungalows, you will be very disappointed with the...craftsmanship...of the lodging. Everything is done with plywood and cheap materials.
- The bungalows, while clean, seem to be a hodge podge of materials including TVs from the 1980s, non-matching furniture, and 3rd rate building materials
- The cottages we reserved were very tiny - like, couldn't do more than turn around in the bathroom. Similarly the second bedrooms were more like extended closets.
- There is no daily maid service
- Our team was surprised at the cost, thinking it was too high for what we received

Overall, I would stress that if you have the correct expectations and you are used to the bungalow style, you will be fine with this property. However, if you are used to a bit more mainstream accommodations found at regular hotels (Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc), you will probably not find the Valley Brook a right fit for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
I guess I can agree with most of what you said except for the 3rd rate building materials and hodge podge materials, the rooms are all done in pine. All the year round cottages and hotel rooms feature the new flat screen TVs but the cottages that are only open for the season still have the older TV sets. The bathrooms are small, when we renovated we were not able to change the size of the bathrooms but if you are a larger guest there are cottages available with tubs. The website has pictures of all the rooms, including the bathrooms and the half bedrooms that we offer. We never deceive anyone and like you said you can come here with expectations of something we are not. Housekeeping is available upon request, towels are checked daily. Your 8 night stay with us brought the rooms down to $50 a night and the 2 bedroom cottages down to $75 a night that is more than half off the nightly rates. I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied and again if it was said during your stay I would have loved the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable.

Been to Valley Brook Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!