“Space to play for families, could be cleaner.” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   201 Kingston Ave, Route 209, Wurtsboro, NY 12790   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wurtsboro
GreenLeadersBronze level
Queensbury, New York
“Space to play for families, could be cleaner.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here last summer with 2 teenage girls, a 4 year old son, and my husband. We had a 2 bedroom cottage that shared a "porch" with another cottage. Porch is kind, it's stairs with a bit of a landing with a table and chairs, and garbage can. Futon is in the kitchen area, but it's a large kitchen area with table and chairs, full size fridge, stove, sink and microwave. It reminded me of a hunting cabin my family had in the 80's when I was a kid. The bed was ok, not the most comfy but ok for 1 night. Bunk beds were actually more comfy, the girls had fun sleeping in their room, and my youngest had fun climbing on the beds. The playground was small but ok, watch for splinters and bugs, a lot of bugs due to everyone's garbage cans being out everywhere. The guy working the office had friends over who were all around the pool. Drinking beer, smoking, made my girls too uncomfortable to swim without us there with them. They were creepy, like letters sent home from school warning you about them kind of creepy. I felt like some people call this home long term, maybe because the county is paying the bill. We could not get out of here fast enough the next morning. When my girls are up and ready to run out the door at 8am on vacation, you know there is a problem. It wasn't overly filthy, like a Motel 6, it could be cleaner, but not horribly filthy. The pizza place next door had good food. You can walk through the trees and be right at the door. They actually said "Are you nice people staying next door?" I said yes we just got here, stopping over for a night before we go to our next stop on our vacation in Long Island. The worker said we were too nice and clean to be staying there, to lock our doors and watch our kids closely. I watch my kids closely, but, what? Yeah we locked our doors, ate our pizza, talked, played a bit then went to bed early so we could leave early. Even moved the kitchen table in front of the door to feel safer. We won't go there again. As far as the other reviews, what babbling brook, I didn't see one? We were close to the playground right in front of the parking area, maybe the brook was elsewhere?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I see that you stayed here last summer so I wonder if its possible your facts have been confused with another place. The cottage you described with a futon in the kitchen and bunk beds can only be Cottage #9 and that cottage is right on the brook if you look on our website at the map. I find it hard to believe it could be missed. It shares the large porch with 3 other cottages. All of our garbage cans are emptied as needed and covered. We exterminate monthly but you are in the country and outdoors and will experience a bug or two. As far as the people in the pool, they had to be guests as we do not have any reseidents here. Of course I cannot comment on if they were shady because we have so many people who stay here but if you didnt feel safe I would have loved the opportunity to change your room at the very least. As far as the people in the pizzaria, I find that story hard to believe since I am in there all the time. They are good friend of ours. We are a small town where everyone knows each other and we have never had any break ins or the need to feel unsafe. I have lived here for 9 years with my 2 cildren who are intheir teens now. I am sorry you felt that way and in the future please express your concerns with management while you are there so we have the opportunity to make your stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We chose the Valley Brook for two nights around the Dave Matthews Band at Bethel Woods. Though 26 or so miles away, this area of the Catskills is remarkably remote and Valley Brook simply looked like the best value, and more to our taste, than the few other options. It also is convenient to major roads. We were delighted. The cottage and porch were homey and pleasant, the two rooms were clean, and the kitchen was handy. Bathroom was small. But the highlight was two heavenly nights' sleep to the music of the babbling brook just outside our window, which we kept open all night. If you're looking for luxury, the Valley Brook is not for you. If you're looking for a lovely, rustic little home away from home, it's the ticket. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for your review, we look forward to your next stay and remember you don't need the concert as an excuse to get here, we have lots to offer in Sullivan County and its almost apple picking time =)
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Just stayed here overnight, as I went to a performance at "Stagedoor Manor", and was pleased with it. The website is very accurate. It is rustic- knotty pine walls etc., and definitely not like a typical hotel room, which I enjoyed. It is set off the road to give a country feel, a very beautiful area. The room was clean, and a comfortable bed. The owners were very friendly and helpful, including sending me the nightshirt that I forgot there, and no charge for the postage. That is one of the differences between a large chain hotel and a family owned place. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
valleybrook, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you for the review and kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back again soon.
Orange, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I decided to take a last minute trip to go to a concert at Bethel Woods, so I was able to get a room here. I was pleasantly surprised with the cottages! The cottage we stayed in was huge and really a great space. The price for the room wasn't too expensive. There are a few places to eat and a gas station in walking distance. It was a bit of a drive to Bethel Woods (about 25 minutes), but everything else about the cottage was worth it I would stay at Valley Brook again if I ever went back up to the area for another concert. The people working were very nice and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for the review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I would like to start this review by saying that the Valley Brook Inn is not entirely bad - depending on your expectations. I would summarize it by saying this - if you are used to Marriott (even Holiday Inn) lodging, and have those expectations, then you will be very disappointed. If you have traditional bungalow experience, or like a rustic camping experience, then Valley Brook will be perfect for you.

Pros:
- Donna, I believe the owner, is very helpful
- At first glance, during the day, the grounds look very quaint and there is a variety of activities including a pool, fire pits, a covered patio area, outdoor seating areas, a playground, basketball court, etc.
- The rooms were bug free, which is different than some of the reviews on here
- One of our team members was from the area and knew of some local gems for food including Danny's, Lunchbox Cafe, and even the custard stand across the street. Additionally, if you like antiquing, there are two great antique shops within walking distance.

Cons:
- We had five people in our party and they referred to the look of the place, in the evening, as the 'Bates Motel' referencing the setting of the movie, "Psycho"
- If you are not familiar with bungalows, you will be very disappointed with the...craftsmanship...of the lodging. Everything is done with plywood and cheap materials.
- The bungalows, while clean, seem to be a hodge podge of materials including TVs from the 1980s, non-matching furniture, and 3rd rate building materials
- The cottages we reserved were very tiny - like, couldn't do more than turn around in the bathroom. Similarly the second bedrooms were more like extended closets.
- There is no daily maid service
- Our team was surprised at the cost, thinking it was too high for what we received

Overall, I would stress that if you have the correct expectations and you are used to the bungalow style, you will be fine with this property. However, if you are used to a bit more mainstream accommodations found at regular hotels (Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc), you will probably not find the Valley Brook a right fit for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
I guess I can agree with most of what you said except for the 3rd rate building materials and hodge podge materials, the rooms are all done in pine. All the year round cottages and hotel rooms feature the new flat screen TVs but the cottages that are only open for the season still have the older TV sets. The bathrooms are small, when we renovated we were not able to change the size of the bathrooms but if you are a larger guest there are cottages available with tubs. The website has pictures of all the rooms, including the bathrooms and the half bedrooms that we offer. We never deceive anyone and like you said you can come here with expectations of something we are not. Housekeeping is available upon request, towels are checked daily. Your 8 night stay with us brought the rooms down to $50 a night and the 2 bedroom cottages down to $75 a night that is more than half off the nightly rates. I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied and again if it was said during your stay I would have loved the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is very low key... great for families and groups of friends who like to hang out, picnic, enjoy each others company. We like to go here with a group of motorcycle enthusiasts for its location to the Delaware Water Gap and Catskill Park...some great riding and scenary.They have a variety of cabins that sleep 2 or more people and the porches are great hang out space to drink coffee early in the moring with the sun coming up and just enjoy nature. Most cabins have a stove, microwave, toaster, and coffee maker, and there are grills throughout the property. After a long hot day of riding the pool is a great way to cool off. Regardless of what melissa b says, it is clean. Also biker friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Valley Brook Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for the review, we love having you and thanks so much for bringing your friends this time. We love bikers and can't wait for your next stay with us!!
Yorktown Heights, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I really cannot understand how anyone has rated this place as excellent, very good or even average! I read a review that somebody spent their honeymoon here!!! GROSS! If my husband had taken me there for my honeymoon we would've been divorced the very next day! It is located in a podunk town in the middle of nowhere. The only reason I can see people staying here is because Bethel Woods is only 20 minutes away. We stayed there because all other places had no vacancy.
The room we had was smelly, dingy and filthy. The layer of dust on the TV, blinds and windowsill was disgusting. There were dead bugs on the floor in the bathroom. The shower was so awful I didn't even shower. How can you shower with only a trickle of water?? Plus the towels were more like old rags. The bed sheets smelled moldy. All this for a lovely price of $140! Ridiculous! I've been in campgrounds that were cleaner than this place. I really wish I had taken photos. Awful, just awful.

Room Tip: TIP: DON'T choose a room here!! YUCK.