“A Catskills gem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
New York City, New York
“A Catskills gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have been going to this restaurant since its days in McKinley Hollow, in Big Indian. It has remained consistently excellent for more than twenty years. Portions are fairly generous. Our latest visit was just a couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday evening. The restaurant has a quiet atmosphere, and classical Indian music always plays softly. LP covers of Ravi Shankar albums were featured around the dining room.
We started off with our usual: an order of assorted Indian fritters, served with a three-dish tray of condiments: tamarind, mint, and onion chutneys. We also ordered samosas, but wound up taking those home. For her entree, Laura ordered Lamb Korma (served in a spicy cream sauce), and I ordered Chicken Shaag (served with spinach in a spicy sauce). Both were superb. We also ordered 2 poori, light, puffy breads. Mountain Gate always serves a generous plate of Basmati rice.
The prices are very reasonable, and the entire dinner was a lot of fun, and utterly delicious. One caveat: Mountain Gate does not sell beer or wine, but a great wine shop is just a few blocks away, on Tinker Street.
A personal favorite, very highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Palenville, New York
“Not too clean”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My son love their buffet. I'm afraid to let him eat meat products there. Looks grubby, not to good on the presentation. Definitely cheap if you don't mind the risk!

Visited January 2013
Queens, NY
“Best Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I eat Indian food all the time and at restaurants all over the world - this was one of the very best in every way - don't miss it!!

Visited November 2012
Cortlandt Manor, New York
“Really great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had visited Mountain Gate at its old location near Big Indian, NY, in the Catskills, and we always enjoyed their food. When we went to their new location in Woodstock, NY, we wondered how it would stack up. There was no need to worry. The food was terrific and service -- though a bit slow -- was excellent and friendly. It's consistently that way, and Mountain Gate is our favorite Indian Restaurant, bar none, anywhere.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York, NY
“Nice quiet spot for Indian when you are in a pinch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have been to MGIR about 4 times now, and I have had consistent food here. Is it the BEST Indian restaurant I have had after living in multi metro cities and travelling overseas? No. But I would not expect it to be here in upstate New York. I was just happy that there was authentic Indian, with good service in the area. (Not sure why I have had good service 4 times in a row, when others have had sub-par) I have always been seated promptly with attentive service. The restaurant is typically pretty dead, and initially I was concerned that was a reflection on the food but we have never had anything but decent Indian food here. They used to serve wine and beer, but recently stopped serving alcohol. That is just fine with me, if they had it I would have ordered but I don't need it. Also- let's be realistic, there are many Indian restaurants that don't serve liquor all over Manhattan. I have had both vegetarian and meat items from the menu and I preferred the vegetarian items but that makes sense. Is it a restaurant I tell everyone is a must try when visiting, no. Is it a restaurant I will go back to, yes! The service has mostly been from the owner, and I have a feeling the bad service or "icy" service that happened for some was from the kids working there. I noticed some irritating server that was done with his shift that clearly seemed to be taking advantage of the owner while we were there. I hope they survive, because it is a reasonably priced restaurant in the area that is DIFFERENT than the other higher priced restaurants. I do love most of the places here for food, but I like that I can get a table without a reservation and that the prices and food are good.

• Visited April 2012