“Hidden in Woodside” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Romance
Great Neck, New York, United States
“Hidden in Woodside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

In the middle of an industrial area one does not typically find fine dining. This is clearly an exception. Wonderful service coupled with an excellent menu makes this worth the drive.

Order the pasta spun into a huge block of Parmigian cooked table side as an appetizer to set the tone of the entire dinner.

Only drawback is their no ice in drinks policy, might be a tad too Italian for some.

All & all a very good meal at a fair price. Typically about $50.00 PP with tax & tip

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
New York, NY
“Good food, interesting experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

The jury is still out on this restaurant. The last time I went, we had a fantastic time, the service was wonderful, the staff were lovely and the service was great. There was great entertainment that night.
However, the time before was dreadful. The waiter was awful, from the start we felt like we were being over sold on everything and we were right. It was over $100 each and we did not order anything extravagant.
I will say, the food has been very good each time, and I will continue to go!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“overpriced, overrated, and it's over for us.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I should have taken the reviews from some food sites more seriously. Zagat's rating must be based on reviews in the past for this restaurant. I haven't dined there in years. Yes, it is lively, crowded with locals who enjoy the music and the special fixed priced menus. Really? Do they think this a a buy? We used a voucher from Groupon (reason to try it again) and found the portions miniscule and the quality of the food only fair. Maybe the fact that we mentioned Groupon was the killer. We are foodies and have eaten at some of the best restaurants here and abroad. After waiting for 30 minutes for our reserved table, and indulging in some house wine ($11 a glass) at the bar, we sat and ordered from the regular menu. I added a soup of the day which was the best part of the meal though I can say the bowl was less than half full. But the bill at the end was $15! Rather excessive and when I commented that we may have been charged twice, the waitor said this is the price. I always would prefer quality over quantity, but at $15 for a bowl of roasted chestnut soup? Where are we? When our dinners came, the portions were of children's size. I was once told by a top chef that the portion (I had monkfish) should be the size of you hand/palm side. We are not large people so my comments are justified. Three bites and done. The short ribs were an extra bite. I have to believe that when Groupon was mentioned, all portions presented were smaller. I have used Groupon before without any issue. Then again, I never mentioned it until the bill was given. Nevertheless, there are an abundance of excellent Italian eateries in Brooklyn and Queens that is worth your trip. Just 10 minutes away, you have Trattoria L'Incontro in Astoria/LIC. You get what you pay for and the food is terrific.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“WOW! Sick meal, one of the best Italian meals in NYC!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is place is the definition of hidden gem. The food is off the hook! Great place to go with the wife for a romantic dinner or with a group of friends. Not your typical Italian meal so get ready to be amazed!!!

You have to pay for water, so get over it. Again you wont get a better meal in many places.

It is expensive but he you can take your $ with you so eat up!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, UK
“Great restaurant, great food if you choose carefully”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

What a great restaurant - very high class but relaxed. To give you an indication, there was a food waiter, wine waiter, water waiter and glass waiter. Great decor and atmosphere.
We went there last Saturday (Nov 09), there was an unobtrusive 50s style singer/pianist, and the food ranged from sublime to doubtful (the latter being excellent produce well cooked but put together in ill advised combinations).
The artichoke starter was out of this world, I would go there again just to eat that, and the chocolate pudding/tart was excellent, a lovely soft melting chocolatey sponge (big enough to share, despite what the waiter advised), the charterhouse steak (24oz) with potato pie was wonderful, and plenty big enough for 2-3. The fettucine mixed at the table in a giant hollowed out parmesan was fun and not to be missed, though my portion had no cheese, garlic or truffle oil - so more mixing please, waiter. The rabbit was excellent but bloody. The tilapia cooked in breadcrumbs (why?) on a bed of undercooked fresh spinach with low-flavour walnut pesto tucked underneath the spinach would have been torn to shreds on Masterchef Professional - a disappointing use of tasty fish. The fish special with mussels was just that - fish and mussels, excellent but not a hint of veg. So, definitely go there, but choose carefully.
The final bill was surprisingly reasonable considering the menu prices and the vast quantities of bottled water we were plied with.
They take credit cards (though the menu states Amex only). And we booked in advance, the place was full when we arrived (Sat 8:00).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere