“Rooms Rented by the hour.... Terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Woodside Motel

You added Woodside Motel to your Saves list
Woodside Motel
65-09 Queens Blvd, Woodside, NY 11377 (Formerly Howard Johnson Express Queens)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woodside

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
HOWARD BEACH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was the worst stay at any hotel I have ever stayed at;no water pressure in shower,few TV channels,made my beds myself,the female desk clerk had no personality;she was being yelled at by a patron while I was waiting for my room that was not ready until an hour after I was supposed to check in,they have rooms for short stays in other words its a hooker hotel. this place should be closed down by the board of health.could not sleep here very noisy at night in the hallways and outside. I should take them to court and get my money back .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

WORCESTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

clean, minutes away from bklyn, access to all bridges, train 3 blocks away. small, quiet and comfortable for a short stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Let me start by saying that we have stayed at this hotel for several years. We found it while searching for an economical place that allowed easy access to the city with advantages such as free parking. It was perfect. It was easy to find the subway, which was just a short walk from the hotel through a quiet neighborhood. We never felt uneasy about walking between the two no matter the time of day. The staff at the hotel has always been kind. Allowing us to park our cars before we could check in and allowing us to leave them after our check out so that we could get as much time in the city as possible. The rooms are not large, but there has always been ample space to sleep and shower (which is about as much time as we spend there). We have gone back multiple times since then, we have taken many people with us, and we have told a lot of people about 'our little secret'.

Now the disappointment. On this trip we had two rooms. Both seemed a little run down. Understand that I know this is an older hotel, but remember that I have visited it many times and this was different. We were also surprised to find that in one of the rooms dirty wash clothes had been left in the bath tub, and in the other used soap was left in the bathtub, and a used wash cloth had been folded and placed back on the towel rack. We have never experienced this in this hotel until now. The other thing that we noticed was that one of the rooms did not have an iron/ironing board and there was no alarm clock. Normally these would be standard items. These few things alone might not normally have been something worth noting, however, with the overall condition of the rooms seeming to be declining and then this lack of care just makes me think that the hotel isn't being as well taken care of as it was in the past. It was enough that we are considering looking for another hotel for our next trip.

Generally I don't like to complain but in this case I must stress again that our concern is more that the conditions will continue to get worse if the condition between our last trip and this is any indication.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I chose this hotel for a re-visit to NYC after having lived in Queens for several years. It offers good value for money compared to Manhattan locations and is located close to the Woodside subway and railroad station: it is easy to take the airtrain and then Long Island Rail Road just one-stop to Woodside; from Woodside station, it's five blocks walk to the hotel. From Woodside station it's also easy to get into Midtown Manhattan (Grand Central and Times Square) on the 7 train (subway but it runs overground with great views of Queens neighbourhoods). Within around 40 minutes I could get from the hotel to most places I wanted to in Manhattan. For more subway options, I often walked 15 minutes to Jackson Heights station where the E and F train express subway lines are even faster and provide better stops for visiting Central Park and places below than Times Square.

Woodside is a relatively safe, vibrant neighbourhood. Plenty of banks (with ATMs), grocery stores, cafes and Irish bars.

Top tip for reaching a really safe family-friendly neighbourhood is to take the E or F train from Jackson Heights to Forest Hills (one stop further into Queens). Here you'll find great restaurants, pleasant shopping streets. Queens is actually a very cool borough to explore... ok, I am biased as I used to live there, but here's my top ten tips on places to visit: http://chibeba.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/a-celebration-of-queens-my-ten-top-picks/

The hotel itself is fine. My room was clean, the air conditioning worked, the fridge was a welcome bonus and the bathroom was functional. I had a room on an upper floor facing Queens Boulevard; with the windows closed at night I slept fine. Light sleepers might want to bring earplugs to block the sirens along the busy road. The room and common areas do look dated and haven't been refurbished as extensively as they perhaps should have been. But for a base in NYC that's a solid step up from a hostel or motel, this Howard Johnson is perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Brasília
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Recently, I stayed in Howard Johnson Express Inn Queens for two periods during last September: 18-21st and 24-29th. The average classification I gave is only an attempt not to be dishonest to a few qualities this hotel has, such as basic conditions of rest, respectable neighbourhood and some shopping facilities around. The problem is that being basic is too much for them. This hotel is on the very edge of "stayability".
By making my reservations directly on Howard Johnson's site, I was driven by the name of the brand, what prooved to be nothing, at least regarding that branch. I did not feel like staying at some unity of one of the largest hotel chains in the United States, neither at a hotel that really cares about its guests. It's totally impersonal!!! (starting with the ridiculous safety glass in between the guest and the constantly lonely attendant). Besides, I had several inconveniences during my stay and even before it:
- The only way to make reservations for a non-smoking room for more than 3 months was accessing Howard Johnson's website, none of the useful sites had this category: Easybooking, Booking.com; Hotels.com; it was some sort of monopoly for which we had to pay more than 100 bucks to avoid the smoking room;
- I was not specifically informed that there is a fee for using the safety box; website rules only say that "it may apply"; when paying right in the check in time (we have to pay all in advance; if the hotel sucks, you run into losses) you get surprised by being charged more than the credit card caution;
- Room is too tiny. We had a baby with us. She's not hiperactive, but felt totally confined;
- Right when getting into the room we checked the sheets: both beds had them wrinkled, like having not being changed; the towels had blood and yellow stains. In that first day, they changed them (not the sheets, they only left sheets for us to do the job). In the following days, the problem continued; we just had to get used to stains and torn towels;
- Carpet had that greasy sensation when touching it with our bare feet, specially our second room's, 210;
- Practically none of space to have breakfast seated: if you lose one of the only two chairs in the main hall, you'll have to be stood up; from the middle of breakfast time on, everything is a mess, really dirty - nobody to clean. There were only sweets in that so-called continental breakfast, we couldn't call so;
- I really have to say: there were really, really, weird people booked in that hotel. People came everytime from the street to get some food to eat in the lobby, right before the front desk attendant eyes; there were people who seemed drugged, walking in circles in the lobby, spluttering things, or with really slow movements. I caught a guy sleeping on his feet for a bunch of times in sequence, with the tray in his hands, trembling all the time; it frightened me;
- I lost my count of the many times we greeted hotel's workers and had no answer at all, not a single good morning, except for two latin room keepers. The latin multi-task guy was the first not to answer;
- I had an emergency in having to print the WTC memorial tickets, had to send by cell phone three times the e-mail to the front desk girl and she said the attached file with the ticket did not appear and would not open. The cell phone ran out of battery and even so she did not let me in behind the front desk for a sec, even before her presence, of course, in order to print the e-mail. Luck of me the memorial staff, who solved the problem in the end, for I could count on Hojo for this simple issue. By the way, I have to register that their wi-fi is lousy, slow as a turttle;
- In between the two stays, we left to Washington D.C. We asked two different people of the front desk to leave two medium suitcases there, so as not to carry them with us all the time, since we were about to come back (we were already to take care of a huge suitcase). At first them both said it was ok; but when it was everything ready for our departure, the old lady that was holding the shift told that it was risky and dangerous to do so. At last, I negotiated to leave only one bag (we had to take the metro and later Megabus carrying two heavy suitcases and a baby on the lap, since we hadn't bought the baby carriage yet. It was hell. Aside the fact that the hotel staff does not have a standard speech among them, the fact Hojo Express Inn Queens doesn't have a baggage room itself shows poorness and lack of structure to wait on guests. We had to leave our single luggage, no valuable things in it, in the cleaning room, which is at same time microwave room and whatever-is-the-stuff room (by the way, when we finally bought the stroller, there barely was space for it in the bedroom.)
- Just in the night before this ordeal, right when we were supposed to get a good night sleep, some wild crowd appeared to occupy the room beside (we where in the 208 and they made a huge mess int the 210 till 4a.m. in the morning, driving us to exaustion)
- After staying in a gorgeous Hilton Double Tree in Washington D.C., we had to get back to purgatory: were given the 210 (the same of the orgy three nights earlier) and also as a prize for being pre-paid guests. This room lacked the iron, the iron board and protection for the air conditioning wind, causing the wind to blow on our faces, us to caugh and sneeze a lot and our baby to get a neumonia that is still with her two weeks later. At first, when complaining about it, the guy in the shift offered the 206 to us which I saw and was a bit better. I was to check mooving with my wife; when I finally called for this option, he changed his mind and denied that option to us. The 210 room also had the toilet paper support broke and the safety box, which we pay very well appart to use, was locked, not ready for use. Not only had we a new room denied, but had to wait about 40min for the room keeper (!!!) to bring the universal decoder to unlock room's safety box, when we were in a hurry to get to Manhattan in that evening;
- Before our short trip to D.C. we declared some room preferances in advance for our return, which were not taken into consideration;
- After coming back, for three following days I asked the room keeper and the front desk as well to adjust the time of the alarm clock properly. I hadn't forgotten the daily tips a single day. Even leaving notes to the room keeper and speaking it orally to people on the counter, my demand was not solved. Result: I lost my bus to Philadelphia, since the clock was not in a one-hour-delay like before, but had a one-hour-twenty minutes delay: totally not reliable: both the clock and the hotel services, since they had already missed a wake up call of mine the week before;
- The ice machine was out of order for two and a half days, just imagine! We really missed the refrigerator inside the room - it was a slip up of mine when hiring Hojo. Don't miss it, Express Inn Queens doesn't have it!
- In the last day, I reminded the young tanned girl on the front desk that I had called for a complimentary late check out by the time I made the reservations. I was going to ask it for 2:30 pm, but ended up asking it for 2:00 pm; I was modest in my ask for we were to be at the airport before 3 pm anyway . Nevertheless, in that saturday, metro's purple line 7 was a complete caos. It had technical problems and was stuck, not a single train of the purple line, which serves the hotel, was working. Everybody in Queens suffered the consequences and had to take the E (blue) line. It was widely broadcast. We were stuck in the metro linewithin the train for 40 min right a few ours before having to be in La Guardia Airport and could only get to Hojo at 2:30. The girl showed no clemency, no tolerance: did not give up charging us for the delay - an extra hour there in such a situation cost twice as the regular price. Once I had already thought she was very cold, at my first glance on her. This episode only confirmed that. Regretable, even if it is Hojo system's blame, as she says. By the way: the 61st station, part of the 7 (purple) metro line, is not as close as it seems to be. A 10min walk with some light hill and a handful of turns to get there. For a long stay, practicity and an every-day-taking-the-metro regime, the hotel locatin is not advisable.
- When finally leaving the hotel, I asked for a taxi, and the young female provided a pirate cab, that overcharged us for the luggage. Thes cabs have fixxed prices, they don't use the cash meter, and are more expensive than the official yellow ones.
I hope I haven't forgotten any detail to give people the exact wounds this property has. I must add that me and my wife are not the kind of sophisticated people that complains about everything and are not satisfied with anything. If it weren't for the amazing Big Apple itself, being away from that barn most of the time, the trip wouldn't have payed off. I am the kind of guy that once in a while stay at hostels. We had stayed in worse hotels, but not with this problematic whole. I call attention for the hotel total disregard to the client. It's like hotel employees were not there, it seems like they work somewhere else, in another dimension.
Booking in there may not necessarily be like hell every single day, like my description may sound, but definitely, I say definitely, it is not a pleasant experience at all and is not worth the money spent - apparently, a bargain. I do not recommend people to stay in Howard Johnson Express Inn Queens.

Room Tip: Do not take the rooms in the basement, reserved only for smokers (even if you are a smoker!). Everb...