“Lovely atmosphere; but service was poor.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 126 Restaurants in Woodside
Cuisines: Philippine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Lovely atmosphere; but service was poor.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Food is wonderful and pleasant to dine on, though you sometimes need to give a little direction to how cooked you want your sisig, or asking for your white rice to be fresh and hot. My order on the Kare-kare was good, just a tad bit too oily. If you order make your preferences known!

Service on the other hand, is a little difficult to explain. The servers looked about high school age, with no basic training in service. They'll take your order as quickly as possible then go off without waiting to see if you had questions or preferences. Lemon and Zucchini water was a surprise, a nice change from the plain water, but you had to request for ice and wait about 10 minutes before getting it! Had an order forgotten also, but the pleasant personality of a different waiter was a score raiser. When my meal ended, I was a slight bit aggravated that my receipt was not given till I asked for it after a couple minutes of waiting and seeing the waiter go sit down to eat.

As for its location in the quiet border of Sunnyside and Woodside, it gets a 4. Parking is difficult during certain times since you have to rely on street sense.

As much as I like the area and food, despite the lacking service, I would still go back for the food. If you're not a patient person, try not to come here if you are in a rush; unless you order take out and pick it up after.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“No respect to customer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I went with my wife and friends to support one of our friends playing in the band and was having a good time when this receptionist is trying to pimp our wife to the apparently managers friend.And the worst part of it is even the manager tried to speak to our wives to be with this arrogant customers.No respect to our group at all.Food and service are bad.Will not recommend this place to anyone especially to women.Degrading to us Filipinos...

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“A Great Introduction to Filipino Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I have enjoyed Payag before, so we decided to take non-Fililipino friends of ours to introduce them to Filipino cuisine. They loved it. They were impressed by the decor and the warm welcome from the manager and the bartender. They liked the fact that the menu included an explanation of the influences on Filipino cooking. We stated off with citrus salad, fried lumpia and mussels tahong. All good, but the only minor annoyance was that the mussels arrived with the main dish. Have seen this problem written up in other reviews. But the mussels with cheese were really good, so it wasn't a big deal. For entrees, my friend had beef salpicao, while his wife, who doesn't eat meat, had pinakbet with shrimp. I had my favorite, boneless crispy pata, and my wife had humba (braised pork). We also had a plate of garlic rice for the table, nicely seasoned and more than enough. So that we'd have room for dessert, we had the entrees wrapped before we finished (for a nice lunch on Sunday). It was a good decision because our friends raved about the avocado cheesecake. An enjoyable evening, and not nearly as expensive as I had expected. The only downside was that the wait staff seemed a bit confused and distant, but luckily the manager kept things moving.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Astoria, New York
“Best, upscale, cleanest and most elegant Filipino Restaurant in NYC/Queens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

COME HERE FIRST to get fresh authentic Filipino food. The restaurant opened a few years ago and is located further west along Roosevelt avenue. When you enter you get the impression that you are not in a Filipino restaurant, but in an elegant upscale Manhattan style Chinese restaurant. And not the run of the mill cheap Filipino eatery.

Once you sit down, then you experience top quality Filipino cuisine. The food is not heavy and is lightly cooked. If you like that heavy greasy stuff, go else where, but if you want the best and healthiest choices, eat here. The staff really know how to prepare a decent meal.

True, service can be a little slow, but I guess waiting for a top quality dining experience is worth it. And the staff are very friendly too.

Management has created a spacious and well lit dining experience, with plenty of natural daylight

Only other negative, I can think of, is that this being a much more upscale experience Payag is much more pricey. For two people you can easily spend anywhere between $60-75, including drinks and desert. However, if you want to wow a non Filipino friend, definitely come here for that special occasion. First impressions mater when it comes to food, just like everything else.

Overall i would rank as #1 on my list of Filipino Restaurants in NYC (see my other reviews if you are new to the city and Filipino restaurants in particular).

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoy the place, because they put elegance on Filipino culture. I was shock to saw lambanog on the bar, the guy said it's only for display, I hope lambanog is available in your restaurant because I've been dying to introduce it to some of my friends. Thank You and more success.