“Who could ask for anything more?” 5 of 5 stars

The Thompson House
19 Rt. 296, Windham, NY 12496   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Windham
New Jersey
“Who could ask for anything more?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

I don't vacation well but my wife and her family came here as a kid, so we started coming last year. Well, this is our second year and we start looking forward to coming back the minute we leave. The people, the food, the atmosphere ... everything is geared toward making our stay relaxing and pleasant. Everything we do for entertainment is within reach and when we just want to chill, that's fine too.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I have been vacationing at the Thompson House since I was 4! (That was a long time ago). Our most gracious hosts Eric and Debbie are like family and I have made lifelong friendships over the years. It's more than a hotel - it's a place where you can feel right at home. The activities are numerous, the food is plentiful and delicious, and the scenery is spectacular - especially in the fall.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I found TH throug the reviews on Trip Advisor - I was shocked to find a hotel where every review gave it a FIVE star rating. With that type of mass approval, I booked the trip for my extended family (ages 3 - 71). To be completely honest, I would probably give the TH a rating of 4 because there are some flaws - but, the positives are so good, I'm going to keep the 5 star streak going!

First impression as you drive across the bridge onto the property is WOW - this is beautiful. Second impression as you walk into the lobby is WOW - am I in a senior citizen home? Be careful not to trip over a walker or oxygen tank as you approach the front desk to check in. The main building is clean - but, there is a distinct smell which you'll find in the rooms as well. These two reasons (the over population of seniors, as well as the bad smell would lower the rating) but those are the only two bad things we found.

Our rooms in the main building were spacious. Each room has a large terrace with 2 loungers and 2 chairs. For an extra charge you can have a fridge added to your room. I liked the convenience of the main building to the dining room, game room, and pool.

The pool is huge! There are plenty of lounge chairs, and tables available. They also provide towels - but, you may want to bring your own. There were activities throughout the day, such as rock climbing, ice cream social, lemonade and cookies, dice, shuffle board. Each evening there is a show - the children LOVED the magic show. I found him to be entertaining as well and I usually hate those types of shows.

There is also a large playground for children. The equipment appears to be safe and the kids had a great time using it.

All in all, the TH is a perfect destination for a family vacation in the Catskills. Everything is well thought out and the family who runs this establishment were lovely, friendly and accomodating.

See you next year! ;-)

Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

This is the perfect family place. we have been here two times with our grandsons, ages 5 and 7. we enjoyed the many activities together, especially the tournaments and evening entertainment geared for all ages. Everything is immaculate. the pool and surrounding area is great. the game room is fun for rainy days. Our room was clean, comfortable and large. Our balcony, overlooking the golf course, spectacular. we look forward to returning next summer with our family.

Merrick, N.Y.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We have been going to the Thompson House for 19 years and my children have grown up knowing that this is our annual vacation spot. We have met families that return the same week every year and our children have grown up together. My children count the days all year until the next trip and keep in touch with their friends form all over the tri-state area all year long. We have made many friendships here and we are as comfortable at the Thompson House as we are at home. The dining room is beautiful and the food is great. The pool is gorgeous and we literally relax and enjoy each other for 7 days straight. I recommend it to anyone and everyone!

Seaford,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

It's our home away from home, Been going every year since the kids were small. Treated as a welcome family member. Always a good time and never any worrys. My Family counts down the days from when we leave until we can go back the next year for Vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I went here with my family for a week. After a very stressful year we all wanted a nice break in upstate. Let me tell you that The Thompson House is the place to go for all your summer vacation needs! They only serve breakfast and dinner, but the food is plentiful and amazing (don't worry lunch restaurants are nearby.) They have a ton of different sports available to play such as basketball, pool basketball, volleyball, tennis, badminton, etc. Every morning when you wake up, you can step outside your house to see the gorgeous mountains towering over you. The people there are some of the nicest I ever met. The owner (Eric) and his family are very friendly and helpful. There is tons to do here!!!! I also loved how the poll was very clean and it was even heated! The only complaint I have here is that the nightly entertainment was geared mostly towards old people. I myself am very young and preferred nightly entertainment to be a bit more.....EXCITING. OVERALL: This place is one of the best resorts available in upstate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Thompson House? Share your experiences!