“Excellent!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Windham
Cuisines: Bakery, Vegetarian, Organic, Donuts
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: We are glad you found us on the web and would love for you to come visit us in The Great Northern Catskill Mountains! We opened The Catskill Mountain Country Store in 1994. We started in the town of Windham, NY with a small store where we sold local crafts, fresh produce, gourmet foods and baked goods made from Pop Pop Siegfried's recipes (Natasha's Great Grandpop). We purchased the Windham Garden Center in 1995 and added our own garden center, looking zoo and walking paths. Then in 2000 we built an addition for our restaurant. We have been serving the best breakfast and lunch in New York, maybe...The USA since then! But wait, there is more. IT IS OFFICIAL!!!! We are open in Tannersville, NY. Stop by at our second location for Breakfast or Lunch, or buy a great gift. Try our homemade, jams, jellies, breads, pies, sodas and the list goes on! Tannersville has a special secret...An old fashion ice cream counter. Both locations are similar, but have their own unique charm. Our entire family is excited to be in two amazing communities in the Catskills! We will be bringing to Tannersville what we have been doing successfully in Windham, for the last twenty years! This has been a wonderful journey shared by our three children, 16 year old Sydney, 15 year old Augustus and 11 year old Victoria. Come visit and share a piece of the country that we call home!
“Excellent!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The food was really delicious when I arrived for breakfast, the service was great and the waitress I had was very polite, nice and excellent with getting whatever I want. I can't wait 2 come back and eat there again.

New Milford, Connecticut
“Horrid Service and tasteless eggs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Food was forgettable... we were to our waitress. She forgot us .. Not once but twice. After taking the coffee / juice order, we had to wait forever to order. Our meals took twice as long as everyone else. It was a weekend morning but the place was not packed. I joked my eggs were going to be fresh because they had to be waiting for the hen to drop them. My husbands pancakes were fine. I had the summer omelet because the mozzarella was suppose to be made there it was but was tasteless as were the eggs. I gave my husband a try before saying anything. He stated, "this is tasteless" We waited with silverware and napkins on top of plates for 25 minutes prior to getting the check .. Which I had to walk up to the cashier and ask for! Our waitress apologized to another table in our ear shot for forgetting them as well. We recognized in that party was comedian Jim Brewer. Can't wait to hear about his experience on O&A this week! Our waitress was about 5-4 average size size brown hair pony tail. Over 35 years old heavy Brooklyn/queens accent and lousy .. The other older woman was a real go getter. I wanted a coffee cup and was going to shop I. The store. At the end, I wanted nothing to remind me of this experience. We should have stuck with the Continental at the hotel would have saved us and the staff was pleasant. Go somewhere else !!!!! Advice to management: fire her before foliage season even if she s family.. Find the spice race. Oh .. Our breakfast in Phoenicia the next day was $15 less and hands down the best in years!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
cambodawn, Owner at The Catskill Mountain Country Store and Restaurant, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We are very sorry that you received bad service at our store. We strive to provide excellent food and quality service. We only wish we knew of the problem when it happened, so we could correct it and make you our customer, happy! Would you please provide more details on when you were in since we have two waitress' that look similar. We would like to make it up to you and your group and give you breakfast or lunch when you are back in the area. Thank you you for your time.
Brooklyn, NY
“Identity crisis?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Have very mixed feeling about going here. While breakfast is huge it is often mediocre with surly and slow service. It used to be a real country store that served lunch and breakfast. But has evolved into selling more toys and tourist junk than it did even a year ago. Very little produce or "real" foodstuffs. And too few of them are from the great local farms!
Full disclosure - we have a house nearby. Used to come often. Now, only when absolutely necessary.

Visited August 2013
Hi Big Onion, When I first read your review I was sad then hurt. I realized you had not seen my signage in our store, nor read our menu . We deal with 23 different local farmers for produce plus grow our own. We locally source yogurt, butter, trout, cheese, organic eggs, milk and bread. We make our own baked goods, fudge, pesto. jams, salsa and many more items. Our store was destroyed by Hurricane Irene and we have changed, we added more products that we make and more locally and USA made items ..... we are constantly re-inventing ourselves. That is the reason we have been able to stay in business in the beautiful but small town of Windham for 19 years. As to the surly serves and mediocre meal we are truly sorry! I wish we had know of the problem then, so we could have corrected it and made you our customer happy. Thank you for your time.
Natasha Shuster, owner
Queens, New York, United States
“Hearty Country Breakfast and Service with a Smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Even if there's a wait, you can occupy yourself in the accompanying store that has games and toys you won't find anywhere else. Step outside and visit the farm animals, including bunnies, chickens and porky the pig, then sit in the Jolly Green Giant's chair to create an unforgettable photo opportunity.

After your wait, enjoy a hearty breakfast with generous portions served by the hardest working waitress on the mountaintop, Gina -- service with a smile, always.

In addition to great, fresh food they have locally sourced goods e.g. maple syrup, honey, fudge and clever signs that are sure to please.

Elka Park, New York
“a wonderful birthday brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our children and grandchildren brought us here for my husband's birthday brunch and we had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and plentiful, our waitress Gina,, was superb and the outdoor activities were charming for the children.

The photo taken in the huge outdoor "grandad's chair" with the birthday boy surrounded by the four little ones will become a family treasure!