“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

5220 State Rt 23, Windham Mountain, Windham, NY 12496   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Windham
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed at Winwood Inn with my husband over Memorial Day weekend for a wedding. Staff was welcoming and friendly for the whole stay. We had a king bed, a jetted tub and a balcony, sadly it rained all weekend. The continental breakfast is just that. The only issue was a lack of hot water Sat morning.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I am only giving this dump 1 star because the attached restaurant, Rock & Mexicana, is actually pretty good and the free breakfast wasn't awful.

My husband and I stayed here in February for a weekend getaway to Windham Mountain. When we arrived I was informed that the deal I was promised over the phone, which included free lift tickets to the mountain, was not applicable because it was Presidents "Week." Was I told this over the phone while booking? No. So I was already upset before we even went up to our room. And the price was not adjusted even though we now had to shell out money for lift tickets!

The room was large with a separate living room area. I was actually impressed. Until I noticed the thump thump thump of someones loud music. I assumed it was our neighbors and it would eventually stop. So we left our room to get some food and drinks. We came back at night to discover that the music had not stopped and our room was in fact located over the kitchen of the attached restaurant. It was like 12am or 1am and the staff was cleaning up and blasting music right below our room. My husband was nice enough to go down to the front desk and ask for another room. The staff was not very accommodating, they acted like they couldn't move us, although they finally did thanks to my husband's persistence. The whole process took 30 minutes, which is ridiculous. Our new room was luckily much quieter - and MUCH smaller. So small that the door basically opened up into the wardrobe that held the TV. Was the price adjusted? No.

We originally chose this place because of the promised shuttle to and from the mountain. It turns out that parking at the mountain is easy and free, so we never utilized the shuttle. I tried to the last day, when I didn't feel like skiing and I thought I could meet my husband at the mountain after he was done, but the shuttle apparently only goes FROM the mountain in the afternoon. Like dropping me off when you're going there to pick people up would be so difficult??

This place is rundown and poorly run. The staff is not friendly. Visit Rock & Mexicana, it's worth a trip, but DO NOT stay here. It is a waste of money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I read great reviews about the Wyndham Mountain and the 'resort-like' lodging, however, was deeply disappointed when we recently stayed at the Winwood Inn and Condos, which is as close as you can get to the mountain without staying on the mountain. We paid a 'kings ransom' for the 3 bedroom condo on President's day weekend, but figured it would be worth it. Unfortunately, this is not what we found. We arrived (after a long day of skiing) to find that the unit did not have phone service (OK...are we living in the dark ages???) AND to add 'insult to injury' there was NO cell coverage (and spotty internet service) available either. So basically, we had no access to the outside world, which I'm sure is fine for some folks, but not when we are paying a premium and my husband was on call. In addition, the heat did not work well on the first level of the condo so we spent the night under blankets and stoking the fire every 30 minutes. Finally, the combination of lack of common items like silverware, drinking glasses, towels, etc. and dead bugs in the kitchen light fixture really fueled my fury. I'm sure that Winwood Inn has other units that are better, but they should be embarrassed that they rented this unit at all, not to mention at the exorbitant rate that we paid for this level of quality.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in one of the condos. Perhaps the lodge is a better option.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fairfield, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

1st of all, the crew is anything but pleasant and welcoming. They would not pick up the phone when you call from your room, would not even acknowledge our presence at the front desk when they were on the phone. The room was OK, not fancy though, with a last century TV with 3 channels. Carpets were covered with stains, and the space was tiny.
I won t mention the price we paid for a suite for 3 days, but it s not even close to acceptable.
During our stay, the fire alarm went on twice. The staff would not even explain what happened nor would they apologize for us going outside at 6 AM.
Finally, the shuttle was never on time, and would not take any calls either.
At this level of price, it seems that anything else in the area would be a better value.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you have not been to Windham or Hunter, this may be hard to understand. These ski and resort areas have no major chain hotels (that I know of). All the lodgings are private properties, some strip motels, some inns, a bit of everything. And Winwood falls into the bit of everything category. I have stayed the in winter to ski, in Fall for meeting and also in Spring. There are three different properties and I have stayed in two. Most often I stay at the inn. This facility can be quite unpredictable. It is truly an Inn and every room is a bit quirky. Upstairs will have rooms on several different levels; a step orr two up or down from the hall. Last stay the room was fine but the hall carpet and walls were worn. This weeks stay I was in a handicap accessible room which was up a slight ramp from the parking level. My room was quite warm while my friends next door was chilly. These two rooms back up to the social area of the Inn and there was a party late into the night. The noise was extremely muffled but just enough to make staying asleep difficult. There is a Mexican restaurant in the Inn and a very small breakfast in the morning.
Several years before my wife and I stayed in the "motel" section. I recall it being 3 stories but it may have been 2. The rooms were quite comfortable, much quieter and the only negative was that access is from the outside walkway. But this seems to be the most common arrangement for almost all the places in the area since they date from late 50s to early 60s. We never stayed in the condo
All my trips have been comped, so I cannot comment on the cost or value. I have stayed at several other lodgings in the 23/23A corridor and Winwood is my preferred and one of the better

Room Tip: The Motel is more quiet but the Inn is more convenient
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Recently stayed at the inn whilst attending a wedding. The room offered good value for money and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a little disappointing, especially the reliance on disposable cutlery and plates. Our room was a little noisy (by the lift) and noise carried from other rooms. We had a nice balcony offering views of the fabulous fall colours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toms River, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

You should sleep in your car before paying these people for a room. The pool is pretty far, it's not at the hotel, it's across a busy highway and it was green. The first room we were taken to smelled like a dead animal. We got the lady from the front desk to come to the room and smell it and she said it was from steam cleaning the room and not letting it dry properly (?) Never had to worry about that at my house! The 2nd room was filthy, my daughter spilled water on the kitchen floor and cleaned it up with a towel, and the towel was BLACK! I brought it to the front desk and showed them so they wouldn't charge me for the towel. I paid for a CONDO and they put us in a STUDIO with no refund when we checked out. The restaurant was awful. There was puke on the ground in front of the restaurant!! We should have known! They use a bbq in the parking lot to cook your food. The chicken on my fajitas was cooked so long it was jerky. After a GREAT day zip lining, we were hungry and tired and were totally disappointed with this hotel. It's more like a motel anyway and not worth 180 a might. Maybe $40.00 a night (?)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Winwood Inn & Condos? Share your experiences!