“Cute but could be better” 3 of 5 stars

Winwood Inn & Condos
5220 State Rt 23, Windham Mountain, Windham, NY 12496   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Windham
Vitznau
“Cute but could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The shower/bath faucet was broken and breakfast pathetic... Just a little more effort here would help the traveler.The condo was really cute. Liked the layout of ours, 121, but it could be better. And that I have to write 200 characters here is annoying since I can say it all in less!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Smithtown, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband, 8 yo, and I stayed one night. It was off season in August. Where to begin.... The man at desk was obnoxious, we had checked the price of the room before going there via the website, and when he asked for a credit card the total price of the hotel was $50.00 more than what the official website quoted, less than an hour before. When we inquired about this he said maybe we put in a AAA discount, which we did not, but did have an AAA card so it brought the price down to what the website quoted, still over priced but the lobby was cozy and the outside of the hotel looked really nice. We were in for an expensive rude awakening... The air conditioner did not work well (it was August), we asked to change rooms and were told we had the settings wrong. When the setting change did not change the temperature of the room 2 hours later and were given a fan, apparently the air conditioners did not work properly in the other rooms. The bedspread had stains on it. The pull out couch's mattress was thin and my 8 yo complained about the springs poking him. The continental breakfast was horrible; stale muffins, apple sauce and mediocre lukewarm coffee. The pool was green and unusable. There are many hotels in area, this at best was a 2 star motel. The Windham area is beautiful find another place to stay.

Long Island NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Being near Windham Mountain, I understand the Winwood Inn's winters are more important to their business than their summer season. However, I was very disappointed with my experience! The hotel looked clean, well kept and fully air conditioned from the lobby, but as soon as I started up the stairs, the heat and humidity climbed as well. As we entered our room, we heard the air conditioner running, but the room was hot and humid. I thought the air conditioner may have been just switched on, as we appeared to be their only guest, so I figured I would give it some time. After a few hours, and several complaints to the front desk about the heat, they offered to switch rooms about 11pm. I went to check the new room, and the air conditioner was also spewing out only slightly cool air, and the room itself was actually hotter than our current room. The man at the front desk told me my air conditioner was not working in our room because I switched it on to the highest setting, he said "they don't work on their highest setting"- really?. Considering I had to aslo request a new blanket to replace the clearly stained one they had in the room (not that we could use it in the heat), that the tub was clogged and there was a green algae tint to their pool, I would strongly consider different accomodations when visiting the Windham area, winter or summer; We arrived about 5pm just looking for a good nights sleep and were charged $130 for the 14 hrs we toiled there. When I informed the women at the front desk that we had a very poor night sleep due to the heat, she only said "oh, I heard there was a vent closed?".....no remorse, apology or empathy.....there wasn't any vent closed. It was simply a penny pinching business that badly needs some equipment upgrades, that despite having every one of their rooms available would not do everything they could to provide their customer with a comfortable room because that might take some effort and expense. Think twice.

Middletown, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as part of a family group. I stayed with my husband in the main Inn, but others in our family stayed in the "condos." Both were quite comfortable, the pool enjoyed by the younger crowd. Since it was off-season things were pretty quiet, but I could tell this must be a fun place for families to stay during the ski season. Breakfast was adequate (cereal, fruit and pastries). I do feel that it was a bit overpriced, however. All in all a pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Naugatuck, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stopped by while looking for a room. We found this to be clean, reasonable, well kept and the view was great! breakfast in the dining area was good too! We ended up eating in the restaurant there also and it was equally as good! We enjoyed the fire-pit outside while we enjoyed a margarita on a brisk fall night!

Room Tip: facing the front looking towards the mountains is the way to go!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The hotel has good bones and would be nice if they would renovate it. That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that it was far from clean and had lots of little annoying problems like a faucet that was difficult to turn on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

First, it was overpriced. Staff not so pleasant, room not that clean, old TV. I expected a lot better for $269/night. Should have been well below $100/night, especially in August. The pool area is across the street. I wanted to try their restaurant after reading so many good reviews about, very disappointing. In short the kind of place that you don't understand why their rate is double and even triple from most hotels in the area. Windham is a nice town but I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Winwood Inn & Condos? Share your experiences!