“Maybe it was a bad day?” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
New York City
“Maybe it was a bad day?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Okay it was raining, and we were a bit early for dinner. We were looking for a snack. Is seemed that when we ordered sodas and appetizers, the staff was not at all interested in serving us. The place is cute and conveniently located. So we hope they try harder for other patrons.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Trumbull
“Mexican Food in Windham”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were not overwhelmed with the food at Rockn Mexicana. Margaritas and the chips and salsa were very good. Our problem was with the main disses. The chicken ceasar did not have enough chicken. The traditional mexican dishes were just okay. We would go back but only to the bar for drinks.

westchester co, ny
“Exceeded Expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Eight of us, including four children ages 5-10, decided to give Rock’n Mexacana a try after reading the reviews in Tripadvisor. We also previewed their menu online and we all agreed it seemed like “standard Mexican fare”. We were not sure how well eating Mexican food would appeal to the kids, but we hoped it would be a fun experience.
We were hungry after a day of skiing and arrived around 5:15. They had no large tables available, but quickly put together a couple of four-tops and had us seated lickity split. The waitress was very nice: informed us of food and drink specials. We were soon sipping margheritas (frozen virgin strawberry ones for the kids) and munching on tortilla chips and pico de gallo, all very good. We consulted with the children, made our choices and ordered. Before the drinks were done the food arrived. The kids dug in with relish and we were all extremely pleased with our food. Normally the side dishes in Mexican restaurants are subpar. The rice, black beans, street corn, etc, were all done with care and were stand alone worthy. I could taste the smoked ham hocks in the black beans along with the garlic and cumin. We exchanged bites and everything I tried I loved. Although I cannot vouch for the starters, or dessert, I would have confidence in ordering anything off the menu.
One of the highest praises I can give was the reaction of the children. My 10-year old daughter devoured her double stuffed taco (which they substituted shredded beef for chicken), my son his burrito, my two nephews their fajitas and tacos. Everyone asked for their meal done differently from the menu and it was done with a smile and they got it right without a hitch.
Dinner for eight, plus drinks and gratuity (they automatically add 20% onto the bill with parties eight or more) came to just over $200. Not at all cheap, but quite reasonable considering the quality of the food, and well worth it for the overall experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Paltz, New York
“Nice surprise in the mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Considering the vicious cold snap during my stay in Windham and the lack of open establishments, I happened upon this lovely place, adjacent to an inn, which was warm and inviting to me, a solo traveler on this particular trip. Great hospitality from friendliness of staff who went out of their way to accomodate me and make me feel welcome. Shrimp tacos were excellent and I would recommend the Cantina for any Windham visitors- great apres-ski vibe, too!

Huntington, New York
“Great happy hour !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

After skiing happy hour $ 3.00 margaritas & sangrias.
Great atmosphere, cool bar and an outdoor firepit that cranks