“Really?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Windham B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Really?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

After reading all the great reviews here, I had a moment of disorientation when I entered the inn. This cannot be the place these people stayed. I was tempted to walk outside, then back in, just in case there was some sort of hallucination involved. Nope, apparently people adore shabby rooms with leaky, rusted faucets, plexiglass screwed over the door window ( to keep out traffic noise from the road a few feet away or to stem the fresh subzero breeze playfully ticking our toes? At least it helped with the musty smell!). I could go on ( and on...and on), but at the end of the day, it all got much better when we adjusted our attitude. Expect far less, and you will be much happier. Perhaps it's better in the summer? We were here for skiing.

• Stayed December 2012
alattheinn, Manager at Christman's Windham House, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
After numerous communications with this guest about rooms in the Inn, he insisted on reserving in this Bldg despite the fact that the bedding was not adequate for his party. We attempted to dissuade him even after his arrival when he complained. He was shown and he refused standard rooms in another bldg.
The Inn is but one option for lodging. It is for people who desire to experience other than chain hotel-like rooms. The Inn, built when Thomas Jefferson was president, evokes more of a home-like or Bed and Breakfast atmosphere. All rooms have modern private baths, yet each room is different. So that the original antique eyebrow windows in the porch door could be protected but still be seen they were covered with plexiglass. To avoid subzero breezes, the guest just needs to turn up the thermostat.
We are sorry this guest's expectations were not met. We are sorry that he struck out mean spiritedly on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, there is no filter on Trip Advisor for mean spiritedness.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
South Amboy, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at Christman's Windham House during the holiday weekend. It was a last minute reservation and I have to say it was probably our own fault that we didn’t get a better room. Everything near the ski area was already reserved. This place was the closest to the mountain very conveniently located 1.5 miles from the village. All the stuff was very nice and I really didn’t mind the fact that this was an old, in some way outdated establishment. Those places have a unique charm about them. My complaint is that the room we stayed in was very musty. It smelled of mildew so horribly that we were waking up with a headache. I can still smell mildew in my clothing. Please don’t rent rooms to the customers that are virtually not livable. First think if you would want to sleep in that room. If not for that fact we would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is the third year that I have attended a quilt retreat at Christman's Windham House. I am looking forward to next year's already and I just got home! The food is always excellent. The wait staff is pleasant and quiet. Ruth and Brian Christman, the owners, are ready to help with any issue although issues are a rare event. You won't find them in a corporate office far away from the Inn. This is a family owned and run business and a "fixture" in the Windham area. Ruth might be found serving coffee to help her wait staff and Brian may be found changing light bulbs. Even after last year's Tropical Storm Irene devastated the mountaintop area of Greene County the Christman's were busy working hard to get back to business as usual and at the same time helping their neighbors. Many students in the area have learned real customer service skills working at Christman's. If you want granite, glitz and ultramodern you may need to go elsewhere. If you want wonderful people, a relaxing stay, beautiful scenery, fabulous food and from what friends have told me- a challenging golf course--- then this is the place for you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
The Jersey Shore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Been doing golf weekends for years and always hit up Christman's. Challenging mountain couse will keep you coming back. Don't bother with the valley course. Staff is always pleasant and accomodating. My family has a cabin nearby which is the reason we don't stay but I know people who have enjoyed the hotel side of Christmans. We have had some great meals there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Sinai, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here one night with our three grandchildren, age 8, 7, 2, in a two bedroom/2 bath unit. The facilities were very well kept, the room was very clean and perfect for our stay. Breakfast was amazing and service and personnel very accommodating and friendly. Grounds were landscaped and pool area inviting. Shuffleboard, swings for kids and 18 hole golf course was a plus!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I have been to Christman's Windham House more than once for golf school. The Ben Sutton Golf School, based in FL, has a branch at Christman's. It's great to go there when the weather is hot here in Philadelphia. The climate and scenery are unbeatable. The hotel is quite old, with ambience to match. We've stayed in two different rooms in the main hotel, and both have been large, well appointed (for a country place) with a balcony and a small fridge for cold drinks. Staying in the main hotel building means a short walk downstairs to the dining room for meals and just across the street for golf school. Or for getting your clubs to play a round. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. One of the best things about the hotel is the food. It's fabulous. Breakfast is breakfast, but lunch and dinner are delightful with a variety of choices. Of course there is also a full bar and a tavern across the street offering live music on Friday night. The last time we were there, they even had a circus set up on the 9th fairway for all the townfolk (and guests) to enjoy. If you want a spa vacation with a swimming pool and those amenities, go somewhere else. If you want friendly staff, comfortable accommodations, and great food, try Christman's in the Catskills. Very easy to get to from most parts of the northeast. Less than 30 miles off the Thruway and close to other interstate highways.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony are on the front next to the road. If you're a light sleeper, maybe an...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DeRuyter, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Mrs. Christman and her staff were the nicest service folks I've run into in a while. The lady herself checked me in, and knowing that I was traveling alone took it upon herself to place me in a room in the main building in case I was worried about security (there are several lodging buildings on the grounds, I believe). I get the sense from seeing the pics on their website that the rooms in the main building are more "inn" like in their furnishings and linens than the ones in the other building (I think they get a lot of golfers and skiers throughout the year). I found my room to be nicely appointed, clean, with a good sized TV, desk, small fridge, attractive linens, and a jacuzzi tub (YEA!). A full hot breakfast was included in my stay, and it was both full and hot! I ate breakfast there twice, and you get a small menu to select from, which is served on regular china by a server (LOADS better than a continental breakfast of stale bagel at any other franchise hotel). First day I had a bowl of canteloupe (best I've ever had), with thick french toast. Day two I had canteloupe, scrambled eggs, toast and home fries. All were made to order. And, bonus on day two - when I arrived at my assigned dining table, there was a freshly made blueberry muffin waiting for me!!!

I also had dinner there on my first evening. DELICIOUS is an understatement. The restaurant is open to the public, but luckily (for me anyway) it was lightly packed on a Tuesday night. The chef outdid himself with a salad of fresh greens, and a walnut encrusted chicken breast stuffed with carmelized onions and gorgonzola cheese. That was served over cooked greens, and with a side of what I learned was called "Tom's Potatoes." I would just call them "More" because they were so good I wanted another helping. I don't usually indulge in "fancy" meals when I'm out on business, but this was well worth the break with my norm.

The service: Each time Mrs. Christman saw me she acknowledged me, making me feel like a special customer of her establishment. I borrowed a book from the Inn library and she offered to let me take it home if I liked it. The staff I had contact with was very pleasant and friendly, and seemed pleased to be there and serve their customers.

I can't speak for the shape or service of the entire property, as I didn't have the time to explore, but the lodging in the main building (housing the restaurant and reservation desk) was quite nice, and the service and food in the restaurant was even better. I'll be sure to try and stay here again when I'm going through on business or pleasure, if for no other reason than the people there were so nice, and for the day/season it was a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Didn't see all the rooms in person, but I'll wager the rooms in the main building are best.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Christman's Windham House? Share your experiences!