“Good place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hungry Trout Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wilmington
The Hungry Trout Resort
You added The Hungry Trout Resort to your Saves list
5239 Route 86, Wilmington, NY 12997   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Baldwinsville
“Good place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Looking for the best hotel in Wilmington at the base of Whiteface , go to the Trout. Rooms are clean, comfortable and while it looks like an old 50's motel it has everything you want in 2014. Restaurant is both a fine dining ad the lower is a pub no to be missed.
Want to fish,eat or drink. Head to the Trout

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We enjoy the comfort of the hotel and being so close to the Ausable is great. Nothing better than exploring the ADK's then sitting in the chairs by the river and relaxing. A bonus to be able to walk to the wonderful restaurants (awesome food). This has become our "go to place" to stay!

Room Tip: It's worth the extra $ for the deluxe room!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
LaGrangeville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I spent a wonderful getaway weekend at the Hungry Trout to celebrate her birthday. Upon check in, we were greeted with a warm welcome and directed to a beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean room. During our stay, we used the well maintained pool, which affords a great view of Whiteface Mountain. The atmosphere is quiet and upscale. In recognition of my wife's birthday we had dinner at the Hungry Trout Restaurant which was made special by the attentive servers and greeter. The menu was diverse and we were not disappointed in the preparation of the meal....it was served hot and well presented. As a note, our table overlooked the Ausable River and I noticed some wildlife in the distance. After asking our server what it was, she appeared at our table with a pair of binoculars so we could enjoy the opportunity...very nice touch! We also had a chance to do some fly fishing during our visit (the Hungry Trout Fly shop is well stocked and provided some great suggestions) -- this is an excellent location for not only the fishing, but to just enjoy a getaway weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Beacon, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I came up to The Hungry Trout for a weekend of fly fishing the Ausable River. My stay lasted 2 days and in that time we had an overall excellent experience. Jerry, the owner, greeted us with a smile and promptly handed us the keys to the room. The room was clean and the view was of the wooded area that borders the river and my only complaint would be that the mattress was extremely hard. So much so that it made for a mildly uncomfortable sleep. Otherwise the accommodations were more than satisfactory. We had dinner at the restaurant and the food and service were good although the prices were a little more than expected. Even so, the food was plentiful and quite satisfactory. The pool is right across from the room and is a welcome sight in the hot weather. It's clean and extremely relaxing.

On to the fishing...I was lucky enough to score Rachel Finn as a guide. I booked a half day fishing as I didn't know the river and thought having a local guide would be helpful. I was right, the river was big and daunting and having Rachel there to help me understand the intricacies of the water made it all the more pleasurable. She is the consummate guide. Pointing out where the fish should be and explaining the best way to catch them. And in the 4 hours we were together I hooked 5 decent trout and lost a few more. I was even luckier that she is a master at the Euro Nymphing technique and she gave me a crash course. I was hooked (no pun intended)! I've been fishing for over 30 years and she taught me a way of fishing that was revolutionary. Thank you!! The Fly Shop has everything you might need and more and Matt & Evan couldn't have been more helpful. I will most certainly go back and look forward to my next trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This review is on the fly fishing experience we had - not a stay in the resort. I could not find anything for Hungry Trout Fly Fishing - however is part of the resort.

So, we were geared up in waders, boots and equipment, ready for our adventure to begin on the Ausable river in hope of making a catch.

This was the groups first experience of fly fishing and the team gave us a lesson prior to setting us loose on the river.

Once on the river we were in small groups of 3 or 4 - our guide Matt was awesome and helped me make my first catch - a beautiful 16 inch trout (or so he told me!) It must have been beginners luck as I could not repeat.

Of our group of 16, around 5 or 6 of us made a catch - maybe more. An amazing experience that I would try again if in the area.

Thank you to Matt and his patience ... which paid off.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We chose this location as our accommodation to complement a 3 day ski trip to Whiteface Mountain. The proximity to the mountain is very good - it takes less than 3 minutes to drive to the base lodge.

We stayed in the "deluxe" rooms, one that had a recent renovation to the bathroom. It was a modest 90 dollars plus taxes. The room was adequately sized with a tube TV and two queen beds. The beds were a little on the soft side but otherwise the room was very nicely furnished and clean. The bathroom featured some nice new fixtures and a walk in shower. The best part is a time controlled fan and heat lamp for the bathroom.

The owner is very friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. I would stay here again - the only drawback is the distance from Lake Placid itself, but we sacrificed that in exchange for being very close to the mountain.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We drove up from Toronto for a weekend ski trip @ Whiteface Mountain and were very pleased with every aspect of out stay. The rooms, dining, and location blew away all of our expectations.

Jerry and his staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and did a great job during our stay. The food in the dining room restaurant was very filling, extremely tasty, and reasonably priced. The food in the pub was just as good, which is why we didn't even look for anywhere else to even try!

Our rooms were very clean and tidy, we booked king and 2 queen rooms. If we needed anything the staff was there ready to help with no hesitation.

The Location was really close to the mountain, it was a :30 second drive door to door which was a priority we had when booking.

This is a great resort, with great people, great food, and awesome hospitality. We will be spreading the word to our fellow skiers!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Hungry Trout Resort? Share your experiences!