“Upscale Motor Inn : Hardly a resort!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hungry Trout Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wilmington
The Hungry Trout Resort
You added The Hungry Trout Resort to your Saves list
5239 Route 86, Wilmington, NY 12997   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wantagh, New York
“Upscale Motor Inn : Hardly a resort!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed two nights as part of a weekend package with the Santa's Workshop attraction. With the package you got two nights accommodations at the Hungry Trout with Dinner Friday and Saturday night and Breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Also, Santa's Workshop had set up entertainment for the kids each night.

When we arrived Friday afternoon precipitation had just started but I noticed that the parking lot was completely covered in ice....at first I thought it was a little odd but then started to think maybe that was the norm in the North Country.

Regarding the facility... it's a not a resort.... lets call it what it is... a roadside motel that happens to abut a river famous for trout fishing and has a restaurant and bar on the property but far enough away from the rooms that the property could be sub-divided and the restaurant sold off and no one would know any different.

So, this mixed precipitation comes down for the next two days and there is the owner Jerry (a very nice enough older chap) totally unprepared. I'm not sure if he was caught off guard by the weather or just didn't want to spend the money on salting and sanding the lot. He used what ever salt he had sparingly to try to coat the walkway to the restaurant but every time you left your room you took the risk of falling on your behind,

The room was clean and fine, but it was just a room. The Bathroom had upgraded fixtures and seemed clean. The pictures on their website make the place look more resort like than it really is.

So, as I said we had the room for 2 nights as part of a package with Santa's Workshop and then we planned on staying on our own another 4 nights. On Sunday the ice was so bad that they closed Santa's Workshop so around 11AM we headed to Lake Placid and did some shopping on Main Street which had no ice or snow on it.

I had booked my room in June and was quoted a rate of $109 a night but we were told by the people in the room next to us that they were paying $79 and night and Jerry even thought we were paying $99 a night...so I have no idea if they just pick prices out of thin air.

Sunday night after we return from Lake Placid we are unwinding and watching TV when the power goes out....well along with the power being out so was the heat. I sleep with a CPAP machine and none of us got a good night's sleep in the cold with my snoring.

The power finally came back at 6 AM and I discovered I could get a room at the Crown Plaza in Lake Placid, which is a real resort, for $11 more a night. So I walk in to the office and Jerry asks if we are leaving. I explained that I can't risk being without power and the use of my CPAP machine nor risk falling on the ice as I have already had 1 hip replacement. He was cordial but never offered to comp the room or give a discount....frankly, while I realize the weather was out of his control but when you rent a room you expect it to have power and heat.

That said...I don't know if I would go back there because there are a lot of other choices in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
JerryBot, Owner at The Hungry Trout Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
The day this wonderful man arrived at our facility, a major ice storm hit our community that lasted three days and nights. It devastating trees, roads, power lines and, of course, driveways and sidewalks. It was the worst weather event here in two decades.
This facility spent $2,000 in plowing and sanding fees in three days trying to keep up with an unending barrage of rain that traveled through a 48 degree temperature elevation (that of Lake Placid) prior to landing in 30 degree temperature here at this facility. No ice in Lake Placid and higher elevations, MAJOR ice accumulation here next to Whiteface Mountain (which closed for a day because of it.)
We worked each day and into the nights trying to keep up with the work required to maintain a safe condition for our guests. We would sand, it would freeze over, sand again...freeze over again. We have over 300 yards of driveway to maintain on this 10 acre property.
There were 12 power company trucks with 30 employees parked a few miles away ready to fix the power lines that were surely expected to break that evening and they did. This owner immediately got dressed and went to every room handing out flashlights and detailing the problem to our guests, all of whom were very understanding and appreciative of my efforts and happy the power returned in the night . For this man to suggest that less than every effort was taken to keep our sidewalks and driveways safe and walkable is preposterous. That chipping sound you heard that night, sir, was me removing yet another ice build up in front of your door!
Regarding his rate issue, I, like every other owner or manager in this business, am very happy to discount a room to guests who have been inconvenienced in some fashion during their stay, even if it's a result of something not of our doing. It's easier to do so, however, if the guest is pleasant, understanding, polite and appreciative.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 6th anniversary at The Hungry Trout in Oct 2013. I wish we would have gone a bit earlier in the month when it was NOT snowing, but we managed to have a great time anyway. We forgot my fly reel and Evan at the (closed but open for us) fly shop was kind enough to loan me one vs. making me buy one. Many thanks, Evan. He took some time to encourage us to try lobbing the kitchen sink( sculpin pattern) at late season feeders and the first day we had no luck. The next day hubby saw some trout surface feeding at a "beginner's paradise" right behind the restaurant and I was able to snag a nice 13-14" brown on an elk hair caddis. BOOOYAH! Made my whole trip!! We loved the convenience of the two on site eateries with great food and drinks. Our room was newly renovated, modern, clean and the BED was SO comfy, as mentioned by previous reviewers. The staff/owners showed personal attention and it was greatly appreciated. I will spread the word to fellow fishermen and friends to stay w/ you in the future. We WILL be back. Thanks so much for a great weekend!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Cozy rooms and wonderful dining experiences await you at the Hungry Trout. Our room was comfortable and afforded us a beautiful view of the mountains. The restaurant has excellent food. Our steaks were done perfectly! The soups are very tasty. We have stayed there before and will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boonville, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our group of 7 walked in on a saturday night, no reservations, and were immediately seated in the large dining room with a great view of the river. The dinners ranged from pan fried trout, prime rib, pork chops and grilled trout. No one had any complaints. the food was hot and the service was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. The prices were in line with the area, which i have No problem paying for as long as it is very good, which it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Peru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This a review of the main restaurant only. I found the food to be wanting. 2 people in our party had steaks that were tough. One came out undercooked and was sent back. Soups were excellent. Everything else was middle of the road. For the price, I would say it's not worth the money anymore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you are looking for a nice place to stay while stalking trout, this is it. Very nice rooms and really comfortable. Fly shop and restaruant on site. Good fly fishing directly behind the property. We stayed in a double queen room with the family, me the wife and 2 boys and it was fine. The bathroom was very upscale. The location is close to Lake Placid and on the west branch of the AuSabel.

Room Tip: No fitness center, hit it by accident. Oops.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lavelle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

great location, beautiful views, very nice rooms, pool and playground nice for kids, very helpful and friendly staff. the only downfall (in August) was you had to travel for breakfast because the restaurants on the premises don't open until 4 & 5pm and the motel doesn't offer any type of breakfast. there are coffee pots and coffee in the room. the closest place for breakfast was just a few minutes down the road. the two restaurants at the Hungry Trout were great.

Room Tip: deluxe rooms like brand new
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Hungry Trout Resort? Share your experiences!