“Wonderful experience with one caveat...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Attractions in Wilmington
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
Syracuse
5 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience with one caveat...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We visited the Refuge with our three grandchildren under nine.
I called ahead to make sure we would be able to go on the wolf walk. We arrived early so we had a brief fascinating tour of the animals that were being rehabilitated. The wolves are truly beautiful creatures. They also have owls, eagles, hawks, chickens, geese, falcons, fox, and bobcats.
Steve was our guide on the wolf walk. He was so knowledgeable and enthusiastic about wolves and wildlife it was a pleasure to be in his company. The walk is an easy stroll on a pine needle covered path. He and the wolf walked at a leisurely pace with frequent stops while Steve talked about wolves and other wildlife. The highlight of the trip was the frequent stops the wolf made to howl and mark his trail
We all enjoyed the walk.
My one caveat is that the presentation is just too long There is an overwhelming amount of information not just for the children but for adults too.
We did leave a donation and I have to say no one on the staff ever requested a donation.
This was a wonderful, unique experience!

Easton, Maryland
“Call ahead! And go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Simply amazing. Knowledgeable, friendly, a lovely stop. Call ahead to get space on the wolf walk-HIGHLY worthwhile. I can't say enough good things about this place.
And donate! They don't heavily solicit, there's a box on one of the enclosures and that's it.

Driggs, Idaho
“Great family fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The folks that run the place love what they do and it shows best to walk with the wolves but the best is the place is in a awesome spot with the river, trees and animals

New York City, New York
“Passion and Compassion for Wildlife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This Memorial Day weekend, my girlfriend and I had the great pleasure and profound experience of listening to Steve share his rich and abundant knowledge of wolves, coyotes, fox, moose, bears and other wildlife, while taking Cree, the beautiful hybrid wolf, for a wonderful and enjoyable walk through the forest. The walk was so amazing that the cold rain did not even faze us. (In fact, the weather added a beautiful charm, reminiscent of a magical adventure through a dark hazy medieval forest. We loved it!)

My girlfriend and I are deeply humble after carefully observing Cree. Steve clearly explained all the characteristic habits and demeanor that Cree exhibited during the walk. The wolf's howl is awesome when you hear it up close in person--two feet away! It seem to reverberated down my soul. The wolf's eyes were penetrating. As my girlfriend told me afterwards, "when the wolf looked at me straight in the eyes, I can sense its sheer intelligence, which somehow put fear in me." We both left with a great appreciation and respect for this awesome animal. The popular media does no justice to its character, personality and intelligence. It is a complex animal. And this one is just 3/4 wolf!

We will never forget this beautiful unique experience. Many, many thanks to Steve for sharing his passion (obviously displayed by coming out and enduring the cold rain to guide us during the hour to an hour and a half long Wolf Walk) and his wealth of knowledge about wolves, wildlife, and ecology, and to his wife and sons and their staff for their work and their contribution to the public enlightenment about wildlife.

Please be generous and remember to donate, as funds go to help the animals eat, live, and recover, and help keep this refuge open.

Visited May 2013
Adirondacks, NY
13 attraction reviews
“Exceptional wildlife education experience for the entire family!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you visit the Wilmington/Lake Placid area and don't visit Adk Wildlife Refuge, you will be missing out on an amazing experience! Call a couple of days ahead so that you can reserve space on the 1 mile wolf walk where you will learn many interesting facts abt why our domestic dogs engage in the behaviours they do & how it relates to wolves. You will be led on the walk by Steve & Alex & the wolves on leads. There are no words to describe how amazing it is to see the wide asst of wildlife there up close & learn from all the dedicated staff & interns. The setting is also quite beautiful! Steve & Wendy have created something quite remarkable! Don't miss it!!! There is a FB pg & website where you can learn quite a bit before you visit!!!

Visited April 2013