“I didn't hop away, I ran away.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
New York City, New York
“I didn't hop away, I ran away.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My friends wanted me to try IHOP. I regretted taking them up on the offer. Some of the faulty aspects of this location lie with the chain itself, and some are unique to this location. So how do I rue thee? Let me count the ways.

1. I saw a carton of store-brand orange juice in a refrigerator when I came in the door. There goes the concept of made-on-the-premises.
2. My friend's tea mug had lipstick on it. There goes the concept of cleanliness.
3. The waiters were on a generic script that did not lend me confidence.
4. The bathroom faucets do not enable the outflow of water unless you're actively pushing down on the handle. This means it's impossible to wash in a sanitary manner, because no matter what you've just touched other people's hand filth. Who the heck inspects this place?
5. My breakfast platter was terrible: eggs with no flavor, bacon burnt to a crisp, ham that didn't conform to any texture found in nature, and pancakes with no character.
6. Apparently meager slices of toast only come if you order them extra. No other breakfast place doesn't offer toast with a breakfast platter.
7. They don't even have maple syrup! They have "original syrup". Based on the flavor I took that to mean "big-barrel-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup syrup." The other varieties were clearly that with artificial colors and flavors.

In essence, I will never return even if my friends offer to pay for my meal again. This chain is a disgrace.

• Visited March 2013