“Will not be going back” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in Williamsville
Toronto, Canada
“Will not be going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We are in Williamsville often for shopping. We thought we would try a new place. This hotel was a let down.

We were on the 2nd/top floor and it rained. It sound like we were in a tent. The spiders on the door entrances and our balcony were awful. The room had a terrible odor. The housekeepers were banging on the door very early for room service. Our hotel entrance rarely opened with our room keys and we even got locked out. It still didn't work after they reprogrammed our card.

Room Tip: As for a room on the back of the hotel. The highway is very loud from a front room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here on a shopping trip for the weekend. Pool, breakfast, fridge and microwave, and HBO! All you need for comfort while away for a couple of nights. Soooooo close to everything from stores, main malls, to well known restaurants and supermarkets. Will not hesitate to stay again. I know that you could only turn right going out of the driveway but how hard is it to pull in and turn around just past the driveway????? or for that matter to turn the thermostat down to be comfortable when arriving????? duh

Room Tip: room 125 is close to the vending machines for drinks or late night snacking and also to exit to your...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
karas23, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your pleasant comments. We are working very hard with our renovations and it is great to hear that it is paying off. We are upgrading all of our room furniture and we are almost finished. We are currently working on our lobby and fitness center. Our new bar is getting a lot of good reviews as well. Its great that you will return in the future and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Michael Karas GM
Barnegat, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

At first I was skeptical with the reviews. For the most part they are accurate. I am a Front Office Manager at a hotel on the Jersey Shore, I know the difficulties and challenges that come with running a hotel. Check in process was a breeze the desk seemed to know what they were doing. Finding parking was difficult and the response to that was "yeah, park where you can find a spot, it will clear out tomorrow". That's great that it will clear out tomorrow but that didn't help me when I was checking in around 11pm. There seems to be a large grass field in the back of the hotel, this should be turned into a lot for additional parking. The room walking in seemed clean and nice. Closing the curtain however I came across a thick covering of dust on the curtain at the top. Further inspection of the room by just putting things away I came across more dust. All that was needed was extra attention during the simple cleaning process of dusting. Waiting for towels to be delivered to the room took over 30 minutes, so it is apparent that housekeeping is an issue. I too am a guest that dealt with a bug issue. I am not one that requests service I can make my own bed and when doing so I noticed a bug on the pillow under the pillowcase. I am 100% sure it was a bed bug. I immediately put it in a bag. Showing others in my party the bug it ended up popping on the pillowcase and it did have a feast on me during the night, blood was on the pillowcase. This is a shame on me that I didn't address it with a manager but I had events that I needed to attend and couldn't be late. With such high volume being near a major airport the hotel needs to stay on top of the matter and keep up with pest services. I would definitely say that it needs a major renovation to the rooms. With a mattress that you feel the springs and they pop when you turn in the bed, toilets that look like they will move when you sit on them because the caulking along the floor is completely gone, and dirty stained lamp shades are just a few examples. I won't complain about anything that is free but just a suggestion the coffee that is served in the morning could be a little stronger, it was like drinking colored water. I would skip the breakfast and just go a few blocks up to Tim Horton's get yourself a great cup of coffee and something to eat. As for attractions in the area everything is close by and I recommend hitting up Duff's just a short drive from the hotel for some great wings! With some minor improvements this hotel could be great. Would I stay there again? Probably not because of the bug issue, that was very offsetting and left you not wanting to fall asleep.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I am sorry that you had problems during your stay. I would like to find out what room your stayed in so I can address your issues. I can assure you we do not have a bug problem in any way. We have daily checks for these issues and well as a preventative maintenance program in effect. As we can not control the occasional spider we do do our best to prevent any issues. I am sorry for the problems that you had. I will do my best to address these issues. I will also be talking to my staff regarding the dust and housekeeping issues. Please contact me so I can be more specific with my action plan.

Michael Karas
Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed at this Hotel in Mid September, 2012 and would never stay there again.
The place is well worn and in need of a major facelift, but that is a minor issue. The parking lot was jammed when we arrived on Sunday afternoon and we were told "this is due to the fact that our Hotel is used as an Airport parking lot".
The worst part about this Hotel was bugs - and I mean the type that crawl and bite. Two large spiders in our room (one on the ceiling and another between the pillows) and several other live bugs on the headboard of the bed. I overheard other guests complaining at the front desk about similar problems and the front desk staff expressed surprise saying that they had never heard about this before. Maybe this was a person working there for the first time.. Then we saw ants crawling along the juice counter in the Breakfast room. Need I say more?
Stay away from this Hotel

DY

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
karas23, Manager at Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We do have guest use our park and fly package as it is a great deal. They do stay at the hotel for one night and park their car while they are on the trip all for one low price.
We do not have a spider problem; however, we did look at the room and did an inspection. Although we did not find a problem we had the room sprayed as a precaution and we thank you for bringing it to our attention.
We are actually renovating the hotel now. We are upgrading our fitness center, upgrading our room furniture, and renovating the lobby and bar. This will all be complete this month.
I hope you can try us again in the future.
Michael Karas GM
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

It is a good location to go to airport and do some shopping. One inconvenience : one way to the main road. you can only turn right no left. But all the shopping stores are on left. We booked 2 rooms. my room is find. But the other one the air conditioner was not working well and noisy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

While the room did have a king bed, and the hotel did offer a hot breakfast and also had a whirlpool, the facility is in need of some updates. The bedding was clean but old, and looked well worn. The air conditioning wasn't on in the room when we checked and it was 82 degrees, and took a while to cool off. Our room was on the 2nd floor, and there is no elevator, so maneuvering all our belongings up to our room was challenging to say the least. We did enjoy the area, Niagara Falls is only a short drive from here. Frankly, we had tried several other hotels in the area first but couldn't find an available room in a hotel with a whirlpool under $125 per night. If we have the opportunity to travel to this area again I'd definitely start my search for a room a lot sooner than the day we'd be arriving. But without a specific itinerary it's so darn hard to know where we'll be when we're ready to stop driving for the day.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator I definitely would keep looking unless you know you'll be on the first f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Baldwinsville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

While on a trip with her soccer team, my daughter's room was broken into by hotel staff. Apparently, they had no record of my daughter and her teammates staying in the room and instead of calling the room, the staff felt it appropriate to try and open the door and undo the latch with a knife. Weekend manager says "that's standard procedure." I don't think so.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport? Share your experiences!