“Before paying check the rooms and make sure everything is clean and in working order!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Finch and Chubb Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitehall
Finch and Chubb Inn
82N Williams Street, Whitehall, NY 12887   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Whitehall B&B and Inns
Grafton, New York,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I recently spent one night at the Finch and Chub Inn. When I called we were told that they had just recently taken over the property a couple of weeks before. I was asked by the woman to meet her at the Marina given at that time we were the only ones she was waiting for. We arrived to find no one there, no sign, note, nothing. After walking around to get cell service we called the business number only to get a message saying their mail box was full and not taking any more calls. We walked around again and met up with some other people that were checking out the rooms. They also had a problem finding anyone but were able to find out that the marina in question was not Finch and Chub Marina but the Whitehall Marina across the other side of the water! We went over there, finally checked in after explaining what happened, and were shown the rooms available. Given that some were not ready, no water hooked up etc., we were shown to a room and told that was a great room. Well, there are no phones in the rooms (a problem given the iffy cell service), going into the bathroom I walked through cob webs, had to clean spiders and webs off of the back of the toilet, the toilet wouldn't flush, thankfully my husband was able to fix it, the cold water for the shower wasn't on (my husband found the shut off) the one screen on the windows that didn't have holes was filled with dirt and more cobwebs, and the television although it would turn on was so snowy you could not see or hear anything! We did inform them about the television before we went out for the evening, but nothing was done. It did have a big picture window looking out over the water, but it was filthy with dirt and bird droppings. For $89.00 a night, everything should have been in working order, clean, without water stained drapes, cob webs and dirt. We have been in 'rustic' places, but that was camping! Understandably they just took over the place, but if you aren't ready as you should be don't rent the rooms! It does have potential with sprucing up and some simple fixes of paint and elbow grease.We were also told that they were not fully staffed, and obviously the woman was covering a lot, but this should not be an excuse...the accommodations didn't equate to the price. It was a major disappointment! If we had the time and other places available we would have went elsewhere!

Room Tip: Check out rooms and make sure everything is in working order first!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
LeAnn I, General Manager at Finch and Chubb Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
We appreciate your honest review. We had just acquired the property, which had been left in a distressed state for a long time. While my effort to accomodate you was with good intentions, we should have waited to accept guests when all renovations were complete. We have made considerable progress in the last year, all the rooms have been completely refurbished, and the Restaurant and Inn are open for business. Completely remodeled kitchen, dining room and bar, offering fine dining on the waterfront.

Please visit the NEW Finch and Chubb again!

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Gwynn Oak, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My family and I stayed one night at the Finch and Chubb Inn, (to pick my niece up from Adirondacks Camp the next morning). What a pleasant experience. Linda (the wife) showed us to our charming suite. We arrived late at night not seeing the beauty of our surroundings but the next morning, while taking in the beauty and charm of the Lake Champlain, Ray (Linda's, husband)I was informed me that coffee was ready. I sat on the outdoor deck enjoying every moment. Linda and Ray, you're the best. Thanks for your hospitality. What friendly and gracious folks.
See you next summer. JfromMD

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Like the previous reviewer, we spent a night at Finch and Chubb before embarking on a kayaking trip down the Champlain Canal. The inn is conveniently located just north of lock 12, and the staff allowed us to store our kayaks outside even though high water levels had prevented them from opening their docks. Our room, "Champs Lookout," was spacious and afforded a stunning view of the lake. Nothing fancy, but clean, well-maintained, and very comfortable. At the restaurant downstairs, we were greeted warmly even though we were the last guests of the evening and enjoyed sunset over the lake from our table. The chicken parmesan was tender, homemade pesto garlicky, and service impeccable. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
DC area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We were kayaking through town and stayed at the Finch and Chubb one night. It's a great place with no pretense -- just a nice, simple, friendly place with a beautiful view overlooking the very southern tip of Lake Champlain. It was perfect for us and memorable....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Seoul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Whitehall,NY : Finch $ Chubb Inn and Restaurant
Date : July 5 - 7, 2010
Reviewer : Byung SEO and Hyun PARK, travellers from S.Korea

It was lucky for us to find this restaurant/inn as our resort place.
I found this accommodation thru internet search, wishing to stay
couple of nights on the way back from Montreal to New York City.
The restaurant owner picked me up at the AMTREK station upon my arrival.
He has tried to arrange several options for fun including canoe
which was an excellent adventure for us to the isolated lake we have never experienced.
Especially the meals we had at this restaurant were quite high
level that the ower himself prepared for the guests.
When I met some friends in New York City, I had to comment and recommend them to visit.
As a frequent traveller, this restaurant/inn will be one of my unforgetable places.
I

Still looking for a hotel?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehall
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington 4.5 of 5 stars 228 reviews The Sagamore 3.5 of 5 stars 790 reviews
View all 1 hotels in Whitehall, ranked by popularity

Been to Finch and Chubb Inn? Share your experiences!