“Poor Communication and no Basic Amenities” 2 of 5 stars

Esplanade Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Lyon Place, White Plains, NY 10601   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
Scarsdale, New York
“Poor Communication and no Basic Amenities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

First, I'll start by saying the positive. The two rooms that we stayed in were newly renovated. Apart from the 1980's looking bedspread and ratty blankets, everything was new (carpet, bathroom, tiles, kitchen). We got lucky on that one. We stayed here during a 5 day long power outage. We explained our situation to the front desk person, stating that we did not know how long we would need to book for. We were going to book 3 nights, but she told us that we could book night to night, and they would hold our room. She said explicitly that they would not give our room away. "Really?" we said. She repeated what she described as hotel policy. The next morning, we tried to extend our stay and another clerk said that our room had been given away. Neither the clerk, nor the manager would honor the other clerk's promise, or take any responsibility for their employee's actions. However, they did have a more expensive room that they could sell us. Hmm. How convenient. A more expensive room. In light of the fact that hotels all over the area were filling up with power outage refugees, we took the more expensive room out of desperation. We thought it ethical that they give us that room at our original price, but they felt it better to soak us for everything they possibly could. Unethical and sleazy, to say the least. Also, note that you must pay to park, pay for the internet via hard wire (and some rooms are not equipped for even this), and bring your own dish soap, shampoo, and paper towels/napkins. Corporate "suite's" in name only.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at the esplanade this summer while working in near by valhalla for three months. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! This hotel is more like a motel, a roach motel. Lets begin here: There is no communication between managment and the staff. The staff knows nothing and cant even properly charge you for your room. My room was basically falling apart. Wall paper peeling off the walls leaking window, a bathroom that could have fit better at a gas station. and carpet that wasnt even laid flat (bubbling up everywhere) OH and If you need more towels to take a shower you better call at least 30 min before you need one!!! Cause it will take them FOREVER to bring you one.
Then there were the ants. The exterminator had to come three times to remove ants from my room. They were even in the bathroom! The esplanade blamed me for the ants saying that I left food out and showed me pictures of a dirty room, which they "claimed" was taken in my room. (Trust me the items shown in the picture were nothing that I owned!)
This hotel is not even worth the $100+/night they are charging. This hotel is more of a roach motel than anything. The mangers are incredibly rude and respond to you as if you are a child. Do not beliveve the pictures you see on the website! The rooms look nothing like the pictures!! (apparently there are some renovated?, no sorry dont think so) This hotel is a horrible waste of space. This hotel ruined my time in white plains this summer! My stay was uncomfortable, and for the most part unbearable I would rather sleep in my car than stay the night at the esplanade again.

Oh and if they try to put you on the 4th floor in the summer time get ready to be in sweat box.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Absolutely the most disgusting hotel I ever "almost" stayed at. The room we were given was out dated and dirty. The carpet was stained. There was water leaking over the window. The beds were old, sheet were ripped and there was some kind of "white stuff" stuck to the bottom of the sheets. The bathroom door had a whole in it. The shower curtain was held on by about 5 rings. The others were missing. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall and dirty all together. The hotel offered to let us move to another "updated" room, but by that point I was too grossed out and wanted to leave. The area was seedy. I was afraid to leave the hotel and afraid to leave my car. There is a deserted parking lot across the street that gave me the creeps also. Was able to get a refund from the hotel and drove down the street and checked into a new wonderful, clean and safe hotel. Biggest regret is taking my shoes off and walking on that carpets barefoot.... Yuck!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

One night was enough. Just old, dirty and out of the mainstream.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have stopped in esplanade as it is close to a medical center I had to visit..

The room is so unpleasant that I had problems into the bed. Furniture is old and looks like was taken for free from a craiglist.

NO WIFI!! They take a 10$ for a network cable (so forget any iPad/iPhone devices as they don't have a LAN hub).
And their network doesn't work. I had to use starbuck.

The noice from the street is very loudy.

The only one thing good about this place is that it's good to an Asian restaurant. That it.

• Stayed July 2011
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

I stayed for business in March 2011. It was one of the worst hotels I've stayed in, and by no means the cheapest.
The first room I was given was poorly maintained with peeling wallpaper and vinyl skirting. It also needed a good clean with dust bunnies herding in the corners. After discovering that the kitchenette tap sprayed water over the bench, the faucet in the bathroom leaked and the shower didn't provide decent pressure, I complained and got a change of room.
The second room was better maintained and clean. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet enough. There was little cutlery or other equipment in the kitchenette, rendering it useless for any cooking other than microwave.
Although the web site does suggest it, I was still surprised: this hotel has no wifi! The best they can offer is you pay $25 for a week's wired access.
The fitness center was closed due to renovation, although this was not mentioned on the web site.
The customer laundry was apparently disused, with a broken soap dispensing machine.
The continental breakfast (from 7:30 every day) was fine.
The Esplanade is a long walk from the central bus and train station, but is closer to some of the local bus lines. There is one restaurant below the attached retirement home (across the street), other than that there's no food nearby.
White Plains is an expensive area, so I guess this hotel is trading mainly on being the cheapest option.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Weston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

I stayed at the Esplanade hotel in January and found it not to be all that bad. They are trying to renovate not just their rooms, but the lobby and gym. They also are adding a brand new breakfast area that looks like it is going to be very nice. I have to go back next month and look forward to the new changes.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!