“Wonderful surroundings, great food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Wonderful surroundings, great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had the good fortune of attending a family wedding at the RWH and stayed for 3 nights. Rooms were spacious, clean with a huge HD TV and the view is basically a dense forest of tall trees which looked stunning in October. Food was excellent (highly recommend the fillet steaks) and service was simply faultless, a special mention here must go the waiter Harry who was just about the nicest and most helpful waiter i've ever met. Only disappointment was the swimming pool being closed during the day and breakfasts were a bit over-priced considering the hot selection consisted of streaky bacon and scrambled eggs and some rather lame looking sausages, where were the mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns etc?, however despite this, i would feel uncomfortable giving anything less than excellent as the food and service were simply faultless, a real joy to stay in this hotel, with lovely walks round the hotel grounds and only a 5 minute/ $15 ride to White Plains. it really is worth a stay

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Catherine S, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Michael G,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I’m pleased that you were able to enjoy the accommodations during your recent stay.
I will definitely pass on your comments to our kitchen staff so that they may review the selection
of our breakfast items and possibly revise the buffet.
I’m glad that you were able to enjoy the steaks and the service provided by Harry and the rest of our team.
We look forward to your next visit with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was excited about my stay at this hotel but it turned out to be the worse hotel experience I have ever had. I usually stay over 100 nights in hotels per year and I am a Platinum Rewards member.

The problems started right at check in. I received the standard email asking for special requests and my only request was a room close to the elevator. I was traveling with two elderly people and we were coming from Las Vegas where the long corridors where a major task on them. There was no one to assist us with our lugagge so, after carrying it over the bridge to the next buiding, we find out that our room was almost the last one in the long hallway. As we were tired from hauling the luggage, we just wanted to crash. We stoppped by the Concierge Lounge and found out that they only had a really poor quality mac & cheese and crackers for appetizers. The dessert was cold cookies.As we go back to the room, the room was freezing cold. I tried to work the thermostat, but it did not get any warmer. So we just went to sleep wearing our Winter coats. The next day I asked for maintenance to take a look and I had to call twice until someone showed up and fixed the problem.

The breakfast at the Concierge Lounge was of good quality and diversity, but in the 6 days that we were there, the attendant did not have a single smile in his face. The room was always missing silverware, plates, food... I asked for replenishment and was made feel like a nuisance.

In the first morning I find out that the housekeeping storage room was across the hall from my room and it is the meeting point for all the housekeeping staff. There was conversation, chatter, phone calls made in the hallway early in the morning during my entire stay.

The worst of all was at check out. As a Platinum member, I called to ask for a late check out as our international flight was only departing late at night. I was told the best they could do was 1 pm. I said that it did not work for me and asked for a 4 pm check out. I was then informed that I would have to pay a fee for that. I said not problem, and asked the price. The price was US$ 159, which was higher than my daily rate!! I said that did not make sense and head back "so what?". At that point I asked to talk to manager. After waiting about 10 minutes, comes in Mr. Gavin Hasty, who presented himself as the supervisor on duty. I explained the situation and he said that the reason they could not offer a late check out was because the hotel was sold out. I have no problem with that since I know how the hospitality business works, but I felt I was being lied to. While talking to him, I go online and find that I can book a room for US$ 139 a night , which was lower what I was being offered for a 3 hour stay, and there were plenty of rooms available. When I confronted him with that, he still tried to get away with asking me US$ 99 for the three hours, justifying that it was a half stay. I do not know on what clock he works on that 3 hours are considered half day in a 24-hour day.

Aside from the well-designed lobby, this hotel feels more like a Fairfield Inn than a Renaissance. Their main concern is in making money with events and expensive restaurant. To summarize, I never felt less welcomed and appreciated in a hotel in all of my years of traveling. I did write back to the hotel and encouraged Mr. Hasty to visit other Renaissance properties such as the Renaissance Schaumburg, Renaissance Amsterdam and Renaissance Sao Paulo to learn how a good hotel is run and quality service is provided.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Catherine S, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Braziliantraveler7,
Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your stay at our Renaissance Hotel. I am terribly sorry that you encountered so many issues! What you experienced is not the norm for our hotel, and I have addressed the details with my Engineering, Styling and Concierge Ambassadors. We should be nothing if not timely, friendly and welcoming throughout your stay, and most certainly we should be consciously aware of our Guest’s need for a quiet and relaxing experience.
What happened at the Reception Desk has also been addressed, and directly with the Ambassador/Supervisor you spoke to that day. Especially as a Platinum Guest, and with the circumstances of your international flight, we should have been far more flexible. Because of your important feedback, each of our Reception Ambassadors have been and will continue to be retrained on how to really understand the specific details of each Guest encounter, and how we can serve them in the way that makes sense to the GUEST and not always what is the POLICY. This is something that I feel passionate about and I thank you, truly, for letting me know.
I hope that you will consider giving us another try when you are in Westchester, and I look forward to the opportunity to personally greet you when you do return. Meanwhile, all of us at The Renaissance Westchester and Marriott International appreciate your loyalty as our esteemed Platinum Elite Guest.
Obrigado,
Catherine Stevens
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was a nice hotel. Nice pool and grounds. But its oddly placed and surrounded by a ton of highways and cloverleaf on/off ramps. Its kind of remote and nothing is in walking distance.

Also, the parking lot is oddly placed. After checking in, you have to get back in your car and drive around the block to the back of the building to the parking lot. IT means you have to do a lot of walking from the room to the lobby to the parking lot.

Also, the prices at the bar are outrageous. Probably because they know that there is nothing else to do anywhere nearby. I ordered a large bottle of water (1 liter) to bring back to my room for my wife, and they wanted to charge me $10 for it. No joke. I told the bartender that he has to be kidding, and he looked so offended. As if it was so rude to refuse to pay for an item after I asked for it.

Dear Josborne01
I appreciate you taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor, although I am sorry that the location seemed too remote for you to really explore the area. We have wonderful Navigators who would have been delighted to help you get to the local areas via easy driving directions or taxicab (just $12 to downtown White Plains). We will use your feedback as a training tool, for my Navigators to do their best to greet every guest with an opportunity to Discover Something Wonderful and New in town.
What happened at the Bar area is disappointing, as we should have offered you other options for bottled water. Thank you for making me aware of this…we have many different sizes and also water is available in our Sundry Shop by the Reception area. Regardless, the bartender must be super polite and empathetic at all times. I have taken this opportunity to speak with each of them...we can all learn to do better!
I hope that you will come back to visit us again soon- we are fully renovating the Pool area, so a trip here in the dead of winter (after the first of the year) will be warm and refreshing for you and your family. Please ask for me or let me know when you will be traveling here again so that I may personally greet you all.
Most sincerely,
Catherine S
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My daughter and I have been going to NYC every year since 2007. We usually stay at Times Square but decided to do something a little different this year. We stayed at the Renaissance Westchester Hotel and took the train into the city daily. What's most important to me in reviewing any hotel is the friendliness and level of service given by the staff. All the employees we came into contact with were great! Kudos to Gavin and the front desk staff - they were the best ! - friendly, knowledgeable and most helpful whenever we had questions or needed something (which we did every day!). Oscar was great too. It felt like we were old friends with Gavin and Oscar by the time we left!. We also loved the look of the lobby and the room we stayed in was very spacious. We will definitely stay at the Renaissance Westchester again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Catherine S, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Debhw,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay!
I’m happy that you decided to deviate from your normal routine and in doing so, you discovered our hotel!
Gavin, Oscar and the rest of the team are a wonderful addition to our staff and I am delighted that they were able to impress you and your daughter.
They will be here to welcome you on your next visit with us!
Bristol, CT USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

What a great hotel so close to New York City. The rooms were actually in a different building than the reception desk and restaurant. The outside of the building was very plain and reminded me of college dorms, but inside had recently been renovated and was very nice. The bathroom was a bit small, but the room was very spacious and clean. The breakfast buffet was average, but the dinner we had in the newly renovated restaurant was outstanding. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. A great alternative to the overpriced rooms in NYC.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear sfloydBristol_CTUSA,
Thank you for your review!
It’s a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the new layout of our rooms and your dinner in the new Hive Living Room + Bar Restaurant.
Our Chef always goes above and beyond to delight our guests.
We look forward to your next visit with us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had a family emergency which took me to NY for 16 days. During my stay I found the hotel to be attractive and charming. Management was accessible and friendly. However I did want to mention a specific member of the housekeeping staff and to thank her for the meticulous care and attention she gave my room. It was a pleasure to return to my room after a long day and to find everything had been consistently and perfectly attended to...thank you Mrs. Maria Rangel!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Febe H,
Thank you for providing us with your review.
Even though your stay with us was brought on by a family emergency, I am so happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you and make you feel "at home” while you were with us.
I will pass on your kind words to Maria and I am sure it will make her day, as it did mine.
We hope to see you on a future visit!
Suffern, New york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

From the moment we arrived for a short reunion we were treated with the most incredible service at this gorgeous, immaculate and well spirited hotel! It was an environment where even the staff were accommodating to each other! No one walked past us without a greeting. The food was excellent, the chefs made table visits to make sure we were in need of nothing. I need room here to give a SHOUT OUT TO Gavin Hasty,Catherine Stevens,Chef Jean Claude, Souse Chef Bryan,Teresa,Hecter, Melanie, Melissa, Annette; it did NOT matter one's job title, EVERY PERSON was joyous and accommodating to guests. I plan to return to Renaissance any time I need a break!! The breakfast buffet was plentiful in variety and superbly delicious. The walking/running paths, nature setting, seating areas, serenity didn't hurt either!! Fabulous! I am Vivian Kraus

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. Kraus,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a superb review of your recent stay at our hotel!
I’m ecstatic that everything went well and you enjoyed your time with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Westchester on your next break!

Been to Renaissance Westchester Hotel? Share your experiences!