“A good hotel for the business traveler” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in White Plains
Long Island, New York
“A good hotel for the business traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Residence Inn is a good spot for the business traveler. I just finished three days of interviews there; the hotel is user friendly, provides a huge hot buffet for breakfast, holds a social hour in the late afternoon, provides clean rooms, has a friendly and helpful staff and is centrally located. You'll find a restaurant on site as well. There is a parking garage (free to hotel guests) but be careful; tight quarters require special attention as you ascend and descend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Michele H, General Manager at Residence Inn White Plains, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to review your experience at the Residence Inn White Plains. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay again some time. We hope your interviews went well. Thanks again.

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Stuttgart
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked the hotel because it was adjacent to the apartment building where my son lives. The hotel may not look too nice from the outside nevertheless I can recommend it. The lobby is modern and friendly, the rooms are spacious and clean. Though the furniture may show some signs of being used they're still in a very satisfactory condition. I had a bedroom, a living room with kitchenette and desk, two flatscreens, nice bathroom and an additional lounge corner with a comfortable chair.
The hotel offers breakfast with a wide range of food in a very nice breakfast room next to the lobby.
They even offer a meal there in the evening from Monday to Thursday which I didn't try out. I will definitely be back at this hotel. Unfortunately you have to pay for parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed on January 19th for one night. Upon arrival the room was not ready, they had us park our car and bring our stuff in; when we returned the room was ready. Went to the room and neither one of the two room keys worked.

Left my wife in the hallway with the luggage and went to the desk and they issued us two new keys. Went back up and finally got in. Tried to turn on the TV's and neither one was working. Called the front desk and someone from housekeeping came up and finally got both of them working.

Took showers and lay down on the bed only to find that it was a sheet and a very thin blanket. Searched the closets and dressers for extra blankets but found none. Did not want to call down again because we had already complained twice. Not our fault but we just decided not to call again. This hotel has no Pay Per view Movies which we were very disappointed in. Coach was very uncomfortable, and the room had large windows. We did not realize that people from the surrounding buildings could see everything we were doing. We actually left the room and went somewhere else that night. Just felt very uncomfortable for some reason.

People at the front desk were great so that was not an issue. Next time we are in the area we will look at one of the other Marriott hotels since there are so many to chose from.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest-

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at the Residence Inn White Plains. Please accept my heart felt apology for the invonveniences you experienced with the guest room keys, cable service and linens. We complete understand your frustration. I hope you understand that is not the norm here and my team was very disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations. I hope that you will give us another chance if you are ever returning to the area. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly and I will persnonally make sure your next stay is an enjoyable and memorable one.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

First time staying here and would come back if in the area. Chris (I think) at the front desk was cheerful, informative and made a very good first impression.......wish other hotels would realise how important this is to travellers who have been on the road all day !!

Room was huge, comfortable and suitable for a longer stay. Evening social and breakfast fare was fine and overall I had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

In August 2011 I wrote that this hotel had been in a slow decline. We have just returned after a year and found several improvements. The lobby has been completly re-done. The tacky sofa area with the TV constantly and loudly on has been replace with a larger area of chairs, workstations and a gas fire. Big improvement! The front desk staff have also had a makeover, or a class, as they are now constantly cheerful and friendly.
Our room, on the other hand, still needs work. All the appliances had been replaced and I was happy to see the old fridge gone. I used to have to unplug it at night as it was so loud. The furniture, particularly the chairs and sofabed, were unchanged and really showing their age. Little things are still an issue like the tap in the bathroom that was fully plumbed in, but slightly higher than the counter so it moved back and forth.
Breakfast is unchanged and again little things are annoying. Most of the five days I was there the coffe cup lids did not fit the bottoms. They never put the half-and-half out for the coffe although they give it to you if you ask. The orange juice dispenser was dispensing water until it was pointed out to them.
They still need more attention to detail. We asked at the front desk to have the sofa bed made up, but it wasn't, until we asked again the next day. We left late one day after the maids had been by and although we removed the "do not disturb" sign the room was not done.
Also the new fridge was not making ice because the water had never been connected to it. We asked to have it fixed, and it was, but the first batch of ice cubes in the bucket were brown and rusty. Fortunately we did not use them.
In conclusion, some improvements, but room for more. No doubt some will think I am picky (which I am), but hopefully Management will read this and make some changes for the betterment of all of us.
The final word of course is that the rooms are really huge by hotel standards (900 sq ft) and we are willing to put up with a few minor problems to have all that space.

Room Tip: High floors, corner rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest-

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We are continously striving to improve our guest experience here and the details are definitely the difference between good and great. We have been working dilligently to proactively take care of the details in an effort to persnalize the service in the hotel for each and every guest. We hope that you will return and give us another chance. Please don't hesitate to call me directly if you are returning to the area. I will personally ensure we meet and exceed your expectations. Thanks again for staying and providing us with such constrcutive feedback.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stopped here as a convenient stop between Boston and DC. The location seems wonderful, right off the parkway, lots of great shopping and restaurants within walking distance. Jason at the front desk was incredibly helpful and nice. Really outstanding customer service! He gave us a pile of menus from nearby restaurants that deliver to the hotel, and took time to explain the parking situation. (Free on the street or $10 charge for the parking in the hotel garage.)

Anyway, we arrived late with a 4-year-old, were up on a very high floor, and I did not feel like going downstairs again and complaining once we entered our room. However, it smelled like cigarette smoke, and ended up making it hard for me to sleep. When I was checking out, I confirmed with the front desk that the room was supposed to be non-smoking. The room itself was very large and nice (more like a 1-bedroom suite), though it felt like an older hotel. My other problem was that the alarm clock was set to a strange setting which made it buzz or ring briefly about every 45 minutes! (It was too hard in the middle of the night to deal with unplugging it.) Needless to say I did not get a good night's sleep between the clock and the smoke smell (which then triggered a migraine the next day).
I have no doubt that I could have gotten a good night's sleep here though if I had asked to change rooms when I initially noticed the smokey smell, and if I had unplugged the alarm or worn earplugs.

Anyway, the evening food delivery from the nearby restaurant was quick. Breakfast was usual Residence Inn fare -- nice to have it free. No pool at this hotel (which we usually look for, for our child), but for a quick stopover, we wouldn't have had time to use it anyway.

I would be willing to give this place another chance and try staying here again another time if it's a convenient stopping point on our journey.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Millwood, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The staff was so welcoming and friendly! We lost our power and came to our tempoarary "home" for the next 12 nights! Matt and Crystal were amazing as was all the staff! The entire staff was so helpful and accommodating during a busy time The rooms were big and clean. The full breakfast and social hour were real meals! Excellent value for the price! Plus they were even dog friendly!

Only complaint is the Marriott rewards program needs to be revamped....really non existent!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Rye Brook
4.0 of 5 stars 388 reviews
Free Parking, M...
Tarrytown House Estate & Conference Center

Been to Residence Inn White Plains? Share your experiences!