“Somewhat ambivalent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Somewhat ambivalent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stopped here as a convenient stop between Boston and DC. The location seems wonderful, right off the parkway, lots of great shopping and restaurants within walking distance. Jason at the front desk was incredibly helpful and nice. Really outstanding customer service! He gave us a pile of menus from nearby restaurants that deliver to the hotel, and took time to explain the parking situation. (Free on the street or $10 charge for the parking in the hotel garage.)

Anyway, we arrived late with a 4-year-old, were up on a very high floor, and I did not feel like going downstairs again and complaining once we entered our room. However, it smelled like cigarette smoke, and ended up making it hard for me to sleep. When I was checking out, I confirmed with the front desk that the room was supposed to be non-smoking. The room itself was very large and nice (more like a 1-bedroom suite), though it felt like an older hotel. My other problem was that the alarm clock was set to a strange setting which made it buzz or ring briefly about every 45 minutes! (It was too hard in the middle of the night to deal with unplugging it.) Needless to say I did not get a good night's sleep between the clock and the smoke smell (which then triggered a migraine the next day).
I have no doubt that I could have gotten a good night's sleep here though if I had asked to change rooms when I initially noticed the smokey smell, and if I had unplugged the alarm or worn earplugs.

Anyway, the evening food delivery from the nearby restaurant was quick. Breakfast was usual Residence Inn fare -- nice to have it free. No pool at this hotel (which we usually look for, for our child), but for a quick stopover, we wouldn't have had time to use it anyway.

I would be willing to give this place another chance and try staying here again another time if it's a convenient stopping point on our journey.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Millwood, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The staff was so welcoming and friendly! We lost our power and came to our tempoarary "home" for the next 12 nights! Matt and Crystal were amazing as was all the staff! The entire staff was so helpful and accommodating during a busy time The rooms were big and clean. The full breakfast and social hour were real meals! Excellent value for the price! Plus they were even dog friendly!

Only complaint is the Marriott rewards program needs to be revamped....really non existent!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I recently spent 1 night at the Residence Inn while in White Plains for business. The hotel was in good shape, the rooms were spacious and clean and the staff at check-in were friendly. There isn't much around the hotel in walking distance but with a car there are several restaurants and a big mall within 5 miles.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Michele H, General Manager at Residence Inn White Plains, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest-

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott White Plains Westchester. We appreciate all of your feedback and we are happy to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one. If you are ever returning to the area, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to personally set up your reservation as I will ensure to set up a welcome package for you with information and recommendations for all kinds of local dining and shopping just minutes from the hotel. Thanks again for taking the time to write about your stay. We hope to see you back soon.

Jay Finney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Excellent value for the price. Extremely large rooms and well kept. I've traveled on business for a number of years, but I had met the friendliest and most accommodating Front Desk Rep at this hotel, Robert K. At first, it's so extreme that it appears fake (because people arent that consistently nice and happy) but after spending 8 days at the hotel it was apparent that this guy is for real. It's amazing how someone like this can enhance the stay so much more. I truly respect his professionalism and ability to perform consistently at such a high level. You'll see what I mean if you ever choose to stay here...

• Stayed October 2012
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed there for ten days, and every person on the staff went way out of their way for their guests and always had a friendly greeting. The hotel was full because of people who had lost their power from the hurricane, but everything went well.

The lobby and rooms were renovated since the last time we stayed there (another storm a few years ago), and while some of the furnishings were a little worn, they were clean and comfortable. I was actually able to make dinner in the kitchen a few nights, and it was great to have a full refrigerator.

We went down at different hours for the breakfast, and it was always replenished.

I met several people who were there for long term stays, and I never heard a complaint from any guest.

Just know that it is a pet friendly hotel, which is why we were there. Since many people there were staying because of power outages, I would imagine there were more dogs than usual. However, I never heard another dog bark. In fact, I never heard another person in the hotel once we got into our room.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's my understanding that this hotel wasn't very nice. My boss hesitated to have me stay here for a work trip. I was thankful to encounter a lovely room with new linens, comfortable furnishings, friendly, helpful staff, and a delicious breakfast. I travel to White Plains regularly for work and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at the Residence while visiting family this past weekend. This was the first time I had traveled to White Plains and was driving myself around the area. The staff was very helpful, providing me clear directions to the nearest grocery, tips on parking and all around friendly attitude. I didn't meet any staff member - from the clearing pros. to the General Manager that didn't offer me a hello or smile. When I wasn't able to print my boarding pass on lobby printers, they took me to the front desk computers and let me use their printers!

The room was clean, VERY roomy and secure. My only complaint was that it didn't have the weather channel. Normally, no big deal, but since I was there days before Hurricane Sandy, it's absence was missed. Frankly, if that is my only complaint, the room was pretty accommodating.

Since I was visting the weekend of Hurricane Sandy, by Sun evening, my morning flight had been cancelled. Fortunately, I was offered a car ride back to DC, but I had to leave NOW. I ran into the hotel, talked to the desk staff for 15 secs.and ran upstairs. He had me checked out with the receipt waiting when I flew back out about 10 min. later. PERFECT.

I would definately stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Residence Inn White Plains? Share your experiences!