“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
White Plains, New York
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Crowne Plaza is certainly a flagship hotel in White Plains. The rooms are a good size, stylish and, most importantly , clean! The staff aims to please. The guests are a mix of business and pleasure. This can lead to some less than ideal issues for management to deal with in the common areas when guests are "partying". There is a convenient parking garage and airport bus at the hotel. The restaurant is good; however, there are many choices of restaurants within walking distance for every taste.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
CPWPD, General Manager at Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Delores P:

We really appreciate the time you've taken to write a review of our services and facilities. Thank you!

We are honored to be considered the flagship hotel in White Plains. We agree! We are delighted you found the rooms a good size, stylish and of course, clean.

We know all our associates will appreciate your comments as well.

Thank you very much for your business and we look forward to being of continued service to you, and to our community.

Scott de Savoye ~ General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Jamestown, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I attended a country club wedding in Mamaroneck, NY and stayed, along with many out of town guests at the Crowne Plaza White Plains. The room was very clean and comfortable. All amenities of the hotel were well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful.
I would recommend this hotel for business or pleasure travel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear nb500:

We gratefully acknowledge and thank you for the time taken to write a review following your visit to our hotel.

We are pleased you encountered a very clean and comfortable room, and that all was well maintained with staff was friendly and helpful. A recommendation is the highest form of flattery - we thank you very much for that.

When your travels bring you through beautiful White Plains, NY again, we look forward to welcoming you back once again as our guest.

Post Falls, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Front staff was not very friendly when we checked in. Was quite spendy for the accommodations. Could have stayed closer to the city for the price we paid. Air conditioner very loud ticking noise but could not sleep without it way to hot.

Asked for safe to be fixed said they would send someone right up at 10;20 by 11:10 we said we were going to bed would call them in am to fix before we left to the city.

Cleaning staff was great!! Very friendly. Maybe cleaning and front staff should change places.

There should be some kind of shuttle service to train. Several hotels in the area offer this. If you are booking in this area book one with train shuttle.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
CPWPD, General Manager at Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear sknight2014:

Many thanks for writing a review following your recent visit. We apologize if our guest services associates were not friendly. That's certainly not acceptable. We are certainly pleased you thought the housekeeping team was friendly.

We offer numerous shuttle options such as a complimentary airport shuttle, but we are downtown so walking to the train station is a mere 20min walk or a short $5 taxi ride.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to welcome you back as our guest.

Scarsdale, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

My bad impressions started before I arrived, when I called a few days in advance to find out whether there was a shuttle from the Westchester Airport or if I would need to take a taxi. The lady I spoke to asked me 3 times accusingly if I were a guest at the hotel. Since I was calling from the west coast, I said well, not yet, but I will be when I need the shuttle. Do they have problems with people trying to sneak free transportation from the airport or something? Then she made clear in no uncertain terms that I was to wait until I was outside before calling for the shuttle (they don't have courtesy phones at the airport, so you need to use your cell to call). When I was outside the little bitty airport with just my carry-on bag, I called, and after I was asked if I was already outside with my luggage, was told the wait would be 20 minutes. Well, I could have called when the plane landed 7 minutes earlier and still would have had to wait for the shuttle. So I don't understand that rule that keeps us waiting outside so long. It's not like you have to walk miles and wait a half hour at baggage claim.

Check-in was quick and abrupt, with no explanations of amenities. When I got to my room, the notices said there would be a daily charge for wifi if we were not given a password. So I called downstairs to find out what the charge is or could I have the password. She told me that since I am a rewards club member, wifi is free. It would have been nice to be told that at check-in.

At 2 am on the Saturday night before Memorial Day, a couple of drunken guests got into an altercation and the fire alarm was pulled. Someone on my floor called downstairs and was told we need to come down. It was a big to-do with 3 fire trucks, police, etc. I guess if there had been smoke or fire, asking the guests to come downstairs is necessary for our safety. But when you have a loose cannon on a floor, it might have been safer for us to stay in our rooms. In the end, the disturbance was enough that I was never able to fall back asleep. Several guests requested some sort of accommodation in the form of a discount off a future stay or points or something similar, just for the inconvenience. All we got in response was a form letter emphasizing guests' safety and basically saying it's not their fault when a guest pulls the fire alarm in the middle of the night. While I agree in principle, I do believe the way to win repeat customers is to empathize with our predicament and offer a small benefit that costs very little but earns a lot of goodwill points.

I will be moving to Westchester next month and will be staying somewhere while waiting for the house to be readied for move-in. This will not be the place I stay. Mainly because I wonder about the kind of guests they have, always trying to sneak free shuttles and having drunken rows in the middle of the night.

One positive I can say is that the room was lovely.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
CPWPD, General Manager at Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear JF4:

On behalf of all our associates we acknowledge and thank you for writing a review.

We regret terribly that you encountered challenges with something as simple as shuttle services. We run every half-hour 5:30am through 12:30am so it confounds us as to why you had these challenges to begin with. We are not aware of any abuse of persons trying to get free rides as non-hotel guests.

As for the activation of the life safety system, we apologize that you weren't happy with how it was handled. We have very specific instructions from White Plains Public Safety authorities and evacuating guests during alarms is a mandatory requirement. We're fortunate they don't occur often but it seems that when they do, it's never a good time of day.

Again, we sincerely apologize and do hope that you change your mind when next visiting beautiful White Plains New York.

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Fantastic hotel and weekend. In NY for wedding, fortunate to stay at Crowne Plaza. everything was great, food and bar service outstanding. Will stay there again if in area. Walking distance to restraunts, shopping, airport (White Plalins). Kudos to entire staff. HAWC

Room Tip: We paid a little extra and stayed on 12th floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
CPWPD, General Manager at Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear HAWC:

We gratefully acknowledge and thank you for the wonderful comments following your visit to our humble inn.

We are so pleased you had a wonderful weekend and on behalf of all our associates, thank you for your business and we too look forward to your return.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a business trip with several co-workers. Location was in good proximity for our needs. Hotel lobby area was updated and staff were friendly. Room was nice but not up to par with other Crowne Plaza properties I have stayed at before. I did not have an opportunity to eat at the hotel so I cannot speak to the food quality. Overall a good hotel but not overly impressive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear es_in_tx:

Many thanks for the time taken to write a review of our services and facilities.

We are pleased you thought our hotel was nice and our staff friendly.

We are grateful for your patronage and do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I was here for two nights to attend a wedding mid- April. In a advance of my arrival the front desk was helpful and directed me to a reasonable and reliable JFK airport shuttle.

My room on the second floor was spacious and had a comfortable bed and had the usual amenities including a safe. Free wifi in the room was fast and stable. The room and bathroom appeared to be clean but the sleeping area had a mildew odor. If the pre and post wedding festivities hadn't been so hectic, I would have reported it to the front desk and I would have asked for a room change. However, I am reporting it here because to me, it reflects on the quality of the hotel.The hotel or housekeeping should have noticed a mildew smell on their own so hence I gave the hotel a 3 instead of a 4.
Location was great. It is less than a one minute walk to the front door of Nordstrom's and tow minute walk to eateries such as the Cheesecake Factory and for snacking a couple of blocks from a Whole Foods Market. Wedding brunch provided at the hotel was delicious.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Berniniphile:

We gratefully acknowledge and thank you for writing a review following you visit in April. We are pleased you found our location good with comfortable beds and spacious rooms.

We are of course concerned about the mildew odor in the room and have had our engineering team investigated this thoroughly. We've never had a mildew odor problem before and have had no reports from our Room Attendants, who usually reported everything as they take great pride in the quality of their rooms! Nevertheless we apologize to you for this and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We do appreciate your business and do hope to welcome you back as our guest again soon.

Scott de Savoye ~ General Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown? Share your experiences!