“Go Somewhere Else !!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Go Somewhere Else !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I live close by and have heard about this place for several years. There is a Groupon so I figured to go with my wife and try it out. I was very disappointed. The restaurant is in a basement and there was only 1 waitress and one other assisting. It was very empty when we sat and just a few customers when we left but from what we observed, every other table was using the Groupon too. In fact, the waitress asked if we had a coupon with us. Without this Groupon, I do not know how they can even stay in business. We both got a salad, shared an appetizer and two entrees. The salads were very sad and bland. The appetizer was mediocre at best and my entree was barely edible. I got the boiled seafood box with a mix of shrimp and scallops. They were very small and much of the entree was just vegetables. There was no taste to it and I had to ask for hot sauce to give it some flavor. In fact, I also noticed that other tables were asking for sauce too. I have been to many Thai restaurants including the country of Thailand and I can certainly say this was last on my list. Its unfortunate to write such a review but I was just very disappointed. It was not even worth the money with the Groupon special. In fact, they automatically add a mandatory 18% gratuity (no matter the slow service) which they announce to you when you're seated. Not cool !!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

White Plains, New York
“Uninspired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

On the positive side, Reka is a gracious restaurateur and the service was prompt and pleasant. The food tasted fresh but my dishes were bland and lacked seasoning, unusual in a cuisine that's normally vibrantly flavored. As others have said, the decor badly needs to be updated and freshened up. I'd been to Reka's a couple of times years ago and had fine meals, so this was a disappointing return visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Old Style Thai in White Plains”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Restaurant si close to home. I gave it a second try after a poor first visit. The food was standard Thai fare with nothing out of the ordinary. Presentation not very attractive. Decor dark and needs updating. Ok if nothing else available.

Visited March 2013
Bronx, New York
“Best thai I've ever had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at about a dozen different thai places and Rekas has been my favorite thus far. Everything from appetizers to the dessert was delicious.

The service was excellent. I felt like the staff were legitimately good warm hearted people.

The prices are really good. A lot cheaper than many other places.

As others mentioned the place is a bit outdated. I felt like it gave the place character.

If you go make sure to check out the spring rolls and the fried ice cream.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I recently came here with some friends, so we could try out this restaurant. When I noticed the place 80% empty, I should have turned back and walked away. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I convinced my friends to proceed. The place in general looked outdated. The silverware seemed authentically Thai, but was in need of some polishing. We decided to order a variety of appetizers so we could all share diverse dishes. The squid salad was just average. The papaya salad was better, yet didn't have chunks of the fruit because it was shredded into the salad. The Satay appetizer came rather tepid in temperature and not hot off the grill. The Larb Gai dish was a salad made with chopped chicken, onions, mint, cilantro and lime juice, but smelled as if the chicken was not fresh. My friend thought it was expired, but when I tasted it, it tasted better than it smelled. All in all, I not only would not recommend this restaurant to anyone, I didn't think the value justified the quality of the food.

• Visited February 2013